Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miami Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Courage to locate next to Porsche, Ferrari, etc. I would say bring it! It is those old guard who may one day soon fear the disruption of tesla. In particular those lucrative stealership owners!
This location strikes me as excellent, not least because it is in easy walking distance for me.:biggrin: The Collection, however, stands as one of the tiny number of really excellent dealerships, IMHO. I have dealt with them for more than twenty years for Maserati, Porsche, Audi and Jaguar. Every time I dealt with them the experience was superb. Were dealerships all of this level the Tesla model would be less disruptive IMHO. I have not bought Aston, Lotus or Ferrari from them but friends have.

My guess, based only on people I personally know, is that Tesla will find that location to be a very positive experience. There are many buyers form The Collection who make impulse purchases and are attracted to new technology too. The availability of local service will certainly be a strong influence to increase sales in this area.

Frankly, my biggest question is the amount of time this location will consume between formal permit applications and actual commencement of business. Coral Gables has made soem major improvements in building processes but still has some of the most detailed code requirements to be found; none of them are opaque so it is fairly easy to define all the requirements in advance. That said, I cannot imagine a Kingsland, GA-style almost lightning-fast process.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ethan,

Great information. This looks like a good location.

Larry

I second your thanks to Ethan.

- - - Updated - - -

I have confirmation from real estate people that it will be directly across the street from The Collection at 4001 Ponce De Leon Blvd, Coral Gables, FL

Kudos for Tesla for having the courage to put up shop right next to a Ferrari, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc dealership. Word is the land owner is also creating a vehicle storage space with elevators on the second floor.
Is there any insight to the actual physical size for the Tesla lease? It seems quite small for the demands of the area unless there will be a Collection-style multi-floor arrangement, a separate car storage facility, or both.

Looked up the property on Miami-Dade County Property Records. Lot size is 15k sq ft. Adjusted size is 9,475 sq ft.

Here's a picture of the property looking East from January of 2015.
Tesla Coral Gables.jpg

Unfortunately, locating a Supercharger Station here with 24/7 access looks problematic, but it's a great location for a Service Center and Store.
I went by there today just to remind myself of the building. This is the former Coral Gables Lincoln Mercury store. I do not know how much of the former service equipment, lifts, etc remain installed there. In any event the renovations for Tesla will ceertainly be simplified because of the former status of the facility. Ethan may know more, but within the same building there were a couple fo other shops that are also vacant. Presumably Tesla might ave taken them also. From a Supercharger perspective there is zero possibility of the Ponce de Leon side and on the Bird Road side. However on the SW 39h Ave side there are several access doors to service bays. Since the landlord is apparently constructing additional rooftop space it is quite possible that Supercharging space could be constructed somewhere along SW 39h Ave. That would take some clever architectural work but might be feasable. Given the congestiona in the área it also seems likely that some offsite vehicle storage and/or servicing bays may be happening also.

Wow. I walk my dog past here several times per week. I'll keep an eye out and maybe do some snooping / pooping this weekend. Hehe

- - - Updated - - -

And this is a great little cation. Across from Maserati jag and Audi. Next to formula 1 sport cars (another high end car shop). Will def make people stop to see what's going on....

Wow ... Will def make people stop to see what's going on....
I'm positive of that. I frequently go to Ferguson's just down the street. Every time i park there somebody asks about my car. The last time, a couple weeks ago, one was driving a McLaren and the other a new (still on temporary plates) Quattroporte. Both were knowledgable about Tesla but had no personal experience.

In my building are a few The Collection-sold Ferrari, Porsche and mundane Audi examples. The exótico drivers are enthusiastic Tesla observers. Soon after I took delivery of my car I had a months-long battle to get charging in my parking spaces. One Ferrari driver was a strong force supporting my requests.

The previous may seem off-topic, but supports the thesis that The Collection customers may be among the most likely Tesla buyers, probably fully decked out Ludicrous-mode ones. We shall see!

Anyone been by lately? Would love some regular reports on progress.
According to my Realtor friend the property remains in exclusive negotiations but the lease has nit been signed. If her information is correct there are substantial modification required including adding floor(s) and changing ground level access and other things.

I think ink that is good information but I cannot directly confirm anything. She cannot confirm that it is Tesla but did understand that it was a 'car company'.

According to my Realtor friend the property remains in exclusive negotiations but the lease has nit been signed. If her information is correct there are substantial modification required including adding floor(s) and changing ground level access and other things.

I think ink that is good information but I cannot directly confirm anything. She cannot confirm that it is Tesla but did understand that it was a 'car company'.

If that's the case, no chance this opens in 2016.

If that's the case, no chance this opens in 2016.
i am not certain about that. AFAIK nobody system what the internal condition of the building might be. Are the vehicle lifts and their infrastructure still there and in good condition from the former Lincoln-Mercury dealer? Is the vehicle Ramos for roof storage already in place? A local acquaintance of mine claims on roof storage was used for years. I do not know nor does anybody I trust. Probably it will be 2017 but...

I poked around the outside of the building and could see brief areas of the interior. It looks like a Lincoln dealership which was "abandoned". It's pretty dusty inside and still has Lincoln signage / posters. There hasn't been any work done yet.

HOWEVER, there is a permit sign on the door. since anyone can walk up and read it, I don't have a problem posting it. Anyone know how to find out if these guys are associated with Tesla at all? (It started back in Feb 2015, so likely outdated)

Permit Description
Permit Address
4001 PONCE DE LEON BLVD CORAL GABLES FL 33146-1417
DotClear.gif

PRESSURE CLEAN AND PAINT EXTERIOR WALLS BM 2109 70 A LA MODE $5,800
DotClear.gif

Applicant
THE PINE RIVER COMPANY Owner N
Owner
BUSINESS & LEISURE INC
https://edenweb.coralgables.com/Def...rmit.MainTab&SetKey=ESMPRMTR.PERMIT_ID=181414

Edit:
another permit at the same address says "infiniti"

Type
DotClear.gif

ELECTRICAL COMMERCIAL /RESIDENTIAL WORK
DotClear.gif

Status
DotClear.gif

pending
Permit DescriptionPermit Address4001 PONCE DE LEON BLVD CORAL GABLES FL 33146-1417
DotClear.gif

EXTERIOR/INTERIOR ALTERATIONS OF EXISTING SERVICE FACILITY (INFINITI) 178 LIGHT OUTLETS; 85 ROUGH OUTLETS; 18 COMMERCIAL OUTLETS; 20 TONS A/C; 1000 AMP SERVICE

Last edited:
These people are the property owners. The permits were posted a long time ago, before the alleged Tesla discussions began. It seems that when Gables LM ceased operating they cleared out only essential items and left the rest "as is". When my contacts were negotiating for the space nearly two years ago the questions began with cleanup and went on from there.

Today there are several workers on-site at 4001. The showroom area has been stripped of the former LM customer reception desk, partitions and other things. The shop area has been completely stripped. Right now the false ceilings are being removed. There is zero vestige of the former LM service area gear.

The "available" signs are still up but a number of building permits were filed in December including BL-15-12-5357 for demolition that was issued on January 22. Obviously there is movement but there seems to be no definitive evidence that Tesla has entered any contracts.

There are at least eight service jobs that have just been posted with location Miami, FL. They are staffing! Now we wait to find out definitively where this will be. Does anybody have better information than I have been getting?

Heard back from one of my contacts who said the location was trending towards a second half of 2016 opening date. Couldn't confirm anything else.
Based on my last discussions and site visit I suggest the following:
1. The demolition of the secondary facility has been nearly completed. A worker there said they were preparing for a "multi-story" facility.
2. The official documents have apparently not been filed.
3. A second half 2016 opening would set a Coral Gables record...hoping it happens!