Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving speed is around 60-70 highway in 50-70f weather. Prior to getting these tires my wh/mi was around 220-250.
Use ABRP, and run the efficiency calibration, to get the least biased result possible. With the model, temp, tire and pressure, we have some basis for comparison. This is what I get for the Quatrac5, 247Wh/mile at 41F and 39psi. In warm temps I get as low as 235Wh/mile.
IMG_9610.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
I did see that mentioned before, I have them at a higher pressure that I had with the stock tires. Stock were about ,39 cold, these are at 42-44 cold 46-48 warm. I've seen others having their wh/mi listed at around 250-280 with these and I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I didn't think that these tires would cause an over 30% range hit

Two things are going on here:

1) Your new tires are a little less efficient.
2) Your new tires are slightly larger in diameter which biases the odometer to read low and thus your efficiency reads lower than it really is (compared to your old, worn tires).

The larger diameter is partly due to the fact that much of the tread depth was worn off your old tires - this makes a bigger difference than most people realize.

There is another effect that is misleading. More air pressure makes your tires considerably more efficient than the measurements from the trip computer indicate. But, since more pressure increases the rolling diameter and causes the odometer to read lower over the same distance, the reported efficiency is actually under-reported. In other words, when you add air pressure you gain more efficiency than your trip computer reports.

I can't wait to get of them. They are loud and not every efficient. OEM were 235 wh/mi at 10k, and these are 289 wh/mi. That's a 18.6% decrease in range.
Hmm. Perhaps it is because the OEMs were so awful, but I think the CrossClimate+ is a very significant improvement over the MXMs my M3 came with.

I've put over 7,000 miles on these tires since October and I did notice a significant reduction in efficiency early on. However, with the warm weather and after several thousand miles on the them, I'm seeing around 250 Wh/mi with the CrossClimate+, which is similar to what I got with the OEMs. I made a note of my lifetime average at around 20,000 miles when the tires were swapped. At that time it was 246 Wh/mi. Today, after 7,000 additional miles, my car shows 252 Wh/mi.

Winter performance is where these tires excel. While not up to the performance of a dedicated winter tire, these tires met all my needs during what was a relatively mild Maine winter.

Yes, the tires are loud, as were the OEMs. IMHO tire noise, wind noise, fan noise from life support, noise from bearings (yes, I hear those wheel bearings) as well as from other sources are all much more noticeable in an EV due to the absence of a conventional drive train. To me, noise produced by the CrossClimate+ is comparable to any other premium tire.

My one complaint IRT these tires is that they are no longer made and have been superseded by the CrossClimate2. In March, one of my tires had to be replaced due to to a sidewall puncture. My local shop was able to source a replacement, but that will change before long. I contacted Michelin to ask if the newer "2" would be compatible with the "+". I received a "yes, but" reply which said in essence "We recommend that all four tires be identical. However, if you do mix them, purchase two replacement tires and mount them in back".

So, do I plan to replace these tires with the CrossClimate2 when the time comes? Probably not. I live in rural Maine. If I were located in a more temperate locale with occasional moderate snow storms, these tires would be an ideal solution. It was an interesting experiment. My other car has dedicated winter tires to deal with our severe winters, so the CrossClimates will stay on our M3 until it is time to replace them (which probably won't be long--these tires seem to be wearing at the same rate at the OEMs), this time with two sets of tires and wheels optimized for either winter or summer.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
So, do I plan to replace these tires with the CrossClimate2 when the time comes? Probably not. I live in rural Maine. If I were located in a more temperate locale with occasional moderate snow storms, these tires would be an ideal solution. It was an interesting experiment.

My old post in this thread probably mentioned I'm in LA which I failed to mention again. This tire is not needed in SoCal. It is great when I went up to Big Bear and I didn't need chains for R2. It was great in Mammoth as well.

Now no more snow boarding so went back to OEM.

Not as loud as CC+, but I can hear wind noise on windshield now. Before it was all tire noise. I captured videos of both tires at 75mph. I will try to splice them into 1 video for comparison later.

Wh/mi is already looking good. This was at 75mph.

20210528_221459-01.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I have been running the CrossClimate+ since last October. I'm very happy with them most of the time, though they are not optimum in very heavy snow--not an issue where you live. Unfortunately, they are no longer manufactured, but may still be available. If you do decide to go with the 2, let us know your thoughts after you have lived with them for a few months.

On a related note, I'd like to get the quietest tire available (235/45/18) that is comparable to stock (MXM4), since I don't need more winter capabilities than the touring all-season category. But since the car is no freaking noisy on the highway, not sure how much it'd help. I'd buy the stock tires again if nothing else proves better than the MXM4s in a few years, but hope that's the case.