Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus Tires - 18"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I had new tires put on the Model 3 RWD (18") at 35,568 miles and 14 months of ownership. All 4 tires were nearly at 2/32" across the tread, so the wear was very even. I wanted to try a different tire other than the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4. After much research and soul searching on what was important to me for tires and the "feel/experience" of the car, I landed on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires. Over the last week, I have put about 600 miles on them and here are my thoughts:

1. Handling/Comfort - The tires are really grippy. The handling the car is very snug and feels really good and is MUCH better than the OEMs. They are also very smooth, the ride is fantastic, and handles bumps and gaps in the road really well. I like the overall comfort of these tires more than the OEMs.

2. Noise - I have no noticeable noise increase at all. I really almost think it is quieter. In reality, it may just be the same. But it definitely is not any louder.

3. Appearance - They seem a bit wider and provide a little more rim lip coverage than the OEMs. I hope that may give a tiny bit of extra protection from rim rash. The tread contact to the road is definitely wider than OEM. I believe OEM has a 7.7" width while these are 8.1". Overall, its a nice looking sporty tire.

4. Efficiency - as expected, this is the only real negative. There is absolutely a hit here. I am seeing on average about 25-30 wh/mil increase. This is not terrible, and really may only be an issue on a road trip, but this car still has a ton of miles and don't expect that to impact any driving anxiety at all.

5. Cost - these are cheaper than the OEMs, but I think any "EV" tire is going to be more at this point and the fact that they are usually only targeted toward the EV community which is still small at this point. So this was a positive as well.

6. Wishes - I hope they last longer than the OEMs. I put a lot of miles on my car with my daily commute, but I really don't want to have to buy tires every year. I want them to last at least 50,000 miles, but that may be a dream too, as these have a 45,000-mile warranty. So, in reality, I hope to at least get that much life out of them.

Last edited:
You want REAL GRIPPY PERFORMANCE? Next time go with Michelin PS4s! I know....it’s a Summer Performance Tire and then you’ll have to swap for winters. True. Then swap with Michelin PA4s!!! Grip to High Heaven. Have to Pay to Play.

Ski

Not interested....I want to stay with an All-Season tire.....but yes, naturally a summer time will be more grippy.

I had the Pilot Sport A/S on my BMW 328 for 10 years, and I really liked them. But I ran them at the BMW recommended pressure of 34 psi. Tesla, however, recommends 42 psi on the OEM tires. What pressure are you using on you Pilot Sport tires? (BTW, I bought my pilot sports through Costco, which made them a great deal).

I just replaced my OEM Primacy tires (at 29,000 miles, even wear but not much tread 3mm left) with Pilot sport A/S 3 Plus (19" OEM wheels) on my 2017 S90D. Very pleased with the ride quality and smoothness. Purchased thru Discount Tire and they installed and balanced. $1,080 including install, road damage warranty, old tire disposal fee, etc.

I had the Pilot Sport A/S on my BMW 328 for 10 years, and I really liked them. But I ran them at the BMW recommended pressure of 34 psi. Tesla, however, recommends 42 psi on the OEM tires. What pressure are you using on you Pilot Sport tires? (BTW, I bought my pilot sports through Costco, which made them a great deal).

42 cold at the moment, and that is what the tire place set them too.

Last week I had new tires put on the Model 3 RWD (18") at 35,568 miles and 14 months of ownership. All 4 tires were nearly at 2/32" across the tread, so the wear was very even. I wanted to try a different tire other than the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4. After much research and soul searching on what was important to me for tires and the "feel/experience" of the car, I landed on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires. Over the last week, I have put about 600 miles on them and here are my thoughts:

1. Handling/Comfort - The tires are really grippy. The handling the car is very snug and feels really good and is MUCH better than the OEMs. They are also very smooth, the ride is fantastic, and handles bumps and gaps in the road really well. I like the overall comfort of these tires more than the OEMs.

2. Noise - I have no noticeable noise increase at all. I really almost think it is quieter. In reality, it may just be the same. But it definitely is not any louder.

3. Appearance - They seem a bit wider and provide a little more rim lip coverage than the OEMs. I hope that may give a tiny bit of extra protection from rim rash. The tread contact to the road is definitely wider than OEM. I believe OEM has a 7.7" width while these are 8.1". Overall, its a nice looking sporty tire.

4. Efficiency - as expected, this is the only real negative. There is absolutely a hit here. I am seeing on average about 25-30 wh/mil increase. This is not terrible, and really may only be an issue on a road trip, but this car still has a ton of miles and don't expect that to impact any driving anxiety at all.

5. Cost - these are cheaper than the OEMs, but I think any "EV" tire is going to be more at this point and the fact that they are usually only targeted toward the EV community which is still small at this point. So this was a positive as well.

6. Wishes - I hope they last longer than the OEMs. I put a lot of miles on my car with my daily commute, but I really don't want to have to buy tires every year. I want them to last at least 50,000 miles, but that may be a dream too, as these have a 45,000-mile warranty. So, in reality, I hope to at least get that much life out of them.

I just replaced the OEM tires (39,803 miles after 1 yr 1wk with about 3/32" left) with these Pilot Sport A/S3+. However, I went with 245/45R18. I put on 576 miles on these A/S 3+ so far. I really missed the efficiency. I need to make a 260-to-300-mile same day trip each week. The original OEM tires were perfect for my commute and I only needed to charge when I got home. I normally got the indicated range +/- a few miles.
The first trip with these tires, I had to stop by a supercharger on the way back. It lost about 30 miles after about 230 miles (Charged to 312 miles, driven 227, got 55 miles left).
I don't think my car (long-range RWD) will not have a chance of making 300 miles on one charge again.

• Informative
Reactions: Thunder7ga
I just replaced the OEM tires (39,803 miles after 1 yr 1wk with about 3/32" left) with these Pilot Sport A/S3+. However, I went with 245/45R18. I put on 576 miles on these A/S 3+ so far. I really missed the efficiency. I need to make a 260-to-300-mile same day trip each week. The original OEM tires were perfect for my commute and I only needed to charge when I got home. I normally got the indicated range +/- a few miles.
The first trip with these tires, I had to stop by a supercharger on the way back. It lost about 30 miles after about 230 miles (Charged to 312 miles, driven 227, got 55 miles left).
I don't think my car (long-range RWD) will not have a chance of making 300 miles on one charge again.

I got some bad English there. I meant "I don't think my car (long-range RWD) will have a chance of making 300 miles on one charge again" with these A/S 3+ tires.

They feel great and handle really well, very sticky. I love how they drive overall...but the efficiency, as noted by a few of us, is about 10% more.

Thanks for the info !!! I currently have the OEM 20" with Pilot Sport 4S tires. Looking to drop down to 18" before a road trip (pothole fear) so hoping I'll have the same range with the A/S 3+ as I currently do with the 4S.

I've had both the A/S 3+ and Conti DWS previously on Audis -- they are both excellent but the A/S 3+ are better overall with exception of snow handling where the DWS have a slight advantage in my experience. The A/S 3+ shine in the rain and most other normal driving conditions. Highly recommend either but will choose A/S 3+ when it comes time to swap out.