Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport EV [tires]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Michelin press release states the new Pilot Sport EV will be available April 1st.

Being a few days away, does anyone have any info or leads on how to get these tires? Seems like it would be a great option for our cars.

Many of us have been eyeing these for a few months.... surprised to hear April 1st... original ETA for Americas region was Q3 2021 (although they are already available in China as OE tires on several make/models).

From the link you shared:
The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV is already available in China and will be available on vehicles released in Europe and North America from the third quarter 2021

Michelin will probably offer these in a limited number of size/specs to start (that ironically may not overlap well with OE specs needed for all Model 3 or Y wheel sizes) and eventually add more size/specs just as they are doing now with the US made CrossClimate 2s.

If Q3 intro stays as-is, I don't expect good Tesla tire spec coverge until Q1/2 2022.

Reactions: Dre78 and Sam1

Michelin press release states the new Pilot Sport EV will be available April 1st.

Being a few days away, does anyone have any info or leads on how to get these tires? Seems like it would be a great option for our cars.

Any word of this is a summer or all season pilot sport? Their release doesn’t actually say, but I’m assuming summer considering it’s for “performance oriented vehicles”?
Appears to be a summer tire, pretty close to the PS4S, except with a different sipe design on the shoulder.

thumbnailbig.jpeg

I am no where near an expert on this (not even close) but from a glance it appears that these would be aimed at "I like the Pilot superSport 4S tires but want a bit more range. So, slotting under the PS4S tires in performance, but still summer tires. Goal would be "still good performance tire but more range than PS4S", is what I am guessing, but that is a guess.

I am no where near an expert on this (not even close) but from a glance it appears that these would be aimed at "I like the Pilot superSport 4S tires but want a bit more range. So, slotting under the PS4S tires in performance, but still summer tires. Goal would be "still good performance tire but more range than PS4S", is what I am guessing, but that is a guess.
Yes, this is what I was thinking when I read about them. It’s my (basic) understanding that lower rolling resistance would typically mean lower performance. Seemed from the press release it’s a sound dampening PSS4 that’s quieter and gives you some more range thru slightly lower rolling resistance

Reactions: MODEL+
Yes, this is what I was thinking when I read about them. It’s my (basic) understanding that lower rolling resistance would typically mean lower performance. Seemed from the press release it’s a sound dampening PSS4 that’s quieter and gives you some more range thru slightly lower rolling resistance
And this is why everyone is waiting for some third party testing...but...these claims are coming from Michelin who is arguably one of, if not the top tire manufacturer on the planet. So it's hard not to believe their initial claims.

Want! Spanking new EV tires + lightweight wheels = like 50 extra miles. We mod for range not horsepower here, buddy.

Aero covers are still ugly as sin though.

Then you likely dont want these, and want some super low rolling resistance all weather tires. Summer tires are still going to be stickier (less range) than all weather tires, which these are.

Reactions: Sam1 and MODEL+