Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So they are currently available on tirerack, anyone have these on their Model Y, interested in their review

Michelin Pilot Sport EV - Tire Rack
For starters, the Pilot Sport EV tire is quite expensive at almost $400 per tire. The Pilot Sport EV tire has the foam liner sound treatment, so that is a negative in terms of tire repair as some tire repair shops refuse to patch tires with the liner. Treadware rating of 320 is only average. Finally, the description does not state that this is a low rolling resistance (LRR) tire. I'll pass.

For starters, the Pilot Sport EV tire is quite expensive at almost $400 per tire. The Pilot Sport EV tire has the foam liner sound treatment, so that is a negative in terms of tire repair as some tire repair shops refuse to patch tires with the liner. Treadware rating of 320 is only average. Finally, the description does not state that this is a low rolling resistance (LRR) tire. I'll pass.
i was thinking the same thing, i avoid the foam , headache for tire shop to patch, also price about 35% more oem or similar for the claim of extra range, but i still would like to see the review of these tires

I’m going to try them out. They are low rolling resistance according to Michelin’s YouTube video about the production of it and what they learned from formula E. I’m picking up my model Y performance in Pittsburgh shortly then going to Georgia to pick up a trailer and back to Pennsylvania to register it. Then will be taking a trip back to Los Angeles for work. So, I should be able to get a pretty good review at that point about 4500 miles later

Reactions: M423 and sleepydoc
The OEM tire has the foam, too, if you buy the Tesla Model. The Michelin is probably a great tire for a Summer Only tire. That's why the Treadwear rating is so low. Max Performence Summer. After switching wheels and tires for years on all my cars, I'm keeping the Tesla on all season.

Reactions: boulder.dude
I’m going to try them out. They are low rolling resistance according to Michelin’s YouTube video about the production of it and what they learned from formula E. I’m picking up my model Y performance in Pittsburgh shortly then going to Georgia to pick up a trailer and back to Pennsylvania to register it. Then will be taking a trip back to Los Angeles for work. So, I should be able to get a pretty good review at that point about 4500 miles later
did you ever give those rubbers a spin ?

I just put a set on my MYLR.

Costco didn't do a very good job of aligning the red dot to the valve stem. To be honest I'm not sure how much it matters, but I wonder if the red dot could have faced in, vs out.

Attachments

• IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    498 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    681 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    593.6 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_2175.JPG
    IMG_2175.JPG
    536.2 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    605.9 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    506.9 KB · Views: 321
Reactions: todd2fst4u and M423
Costco didn't do a very good job of aligning the red dot to the valve stem. To be honest I'm not sure how much it matters, but I wonder if the red dot could have faced in, vs out.
Those dots are marks for installers noting where the tire's uniformity or run out needs attention. It should correspond with a marking inside the wheel noting its max run out. Yellow's for weight btw.

I agree with @A55!; the red dot on the tire is supposed to be lined up with the heaviest part of the wheel. (Steel wheels have the heaviest part of the wheel marked. For alloy wheels the heaviest part of the wheel is at the valve stem.)

If the tire tread is asymmetric (has a different tread pattern on the inner and outer part of the tread) then you should not mount the tire with the red dot on the inside of the wheel, otherwise it should not matter which way the tire is mounted unless the tire has a unidirectional tire tread.

The yellow dot on the tire indicates the part of the tire that is lightest. The red dot, if provided, indicates the highest part of the tire. * To minimize vibration the tire should be installed with the red dot (when one is provided) aligned with the heaviest part of wheel (for an alloy wheel this is the part of the wheel with the valve stem.)

* If both red and yellow dots are visible on the tire and there aren't any dots or marks on the wheel, red takes precedence over yellow and you should align the red dot with the valve stem. Cancelling out the high point takes precedence over the lightest point of the tyre, which can be addressed with wheel weights.

Source: Tyres Explained: Red Dot vs Yellow Dot!

Well…how do they compare to previous tires? Grip? Impressions?

I don’t have much time driving with them, but they seem quieter? I don’t really drive fast, and anytime I do the car just does what I ask if it. It does more than I’m willing to do for sure with the level of competence around me on the road.

A Tesla is like having a suppressed .300 Blackout AR pistol for home defense.

I just put a set on my MYLR.

Great someone got them, hope to hear updates on this tire , its still new , hope price can lower to give them a try