Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Super Sports vs.Continental CONTISPORTCONTACT 5 On Arachnids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some tire advise....

I just got the Arachnid wheels as part of the referral promotion. They came with the Michelin Super Sports.

On my P85D, I'm now on my 2nd set of the 21' Continental CONTISPORTCONTACT 5 Cont Silent tires. These tires have been amazing. Road noise minimal and I've gotten almost 50k miles on 2 sets of them which is pretty impressive I think. I'm doing mostly freeway driving.

So I'm going to mount the new wheels on my car and I"m trying to decide:

1) Try the Michelins and see how they do, mostly worried about road noise.
2) Buy a new set of the Continental CONTISPORTCONTACT 5's mount them on the Arachnids and sell the brand new Michelin's. That way I know exactly what I'm getting having used them for the past 3 years. And the tire I can sell as brand new with 0 miles on them?

Anybody experience both and have thoughts for me? I'm assuming the Michelins will handle better but as I said, I'm more worried about road noise.

- Jason

Looking for some tire advise....

I just got the Arachnid wheels as part of the referral promotion. They came with the Michelin Super Sports.

On my P85D, I'm now on my 2nd set of the 21' Continental CONTISPORTCONTACT 5 Cont Silent tires. These tires have been amazing. Road noise minimal and I've gotten almost 50k miles on 2 sets of them which is pretty impressive I think. I'm doing mostly freeway driving.

So I'm going to mount the new wheels on my car and I"m trying to decide:

1) Try the Michelins and see how they do, mostly worried about road noise.
2) Buy a new set of the Continental CONTISPORTCONTACT 5's mount them on the Arachnids and sell the brand new Michelin's. That way I know exactly what I'm getting having used them for the past 3 years. And the tire I can sell as brand new with 0 miles on them?

Anybody experience both and have thoughts for me? I'm assuming the Michelins will handle better but as I said, I'm more worried about road noise.

- Jason

The Michelins will wear significantly faster than the continentals but they have superior grip. Noise level is a wash; there wasn't any noticeable difference. Otherwise, I really like the way the Michelins drive and prefer them over my continentals - if tread wear or cold weather isn't a concern.

Even if you remove the tire with 0 miles, you shouldn't sell it as new. It is possible for tire beads to be damaged from repeated installation/removal and the it would be fair to disclose to the buyer that the tires have been mounted and unmounted but have 0 miles on them.

Having had experience with both, IMO, it's a wash. Both are good tires, both have the foam lining for noise silencing, both cost about the same. If anything, the Michelins have a slightly better wear rating and "in theory" should last a little longer.

Here are the stats from The Tire Rack for the staggered setup (this is the setup I have). My car came with the Continentals and I now have the Michelins on and I have no complaints with either one. My advice would be to leave the Michelins on that came on the Arachnids.

Screenshot 2018-08-01 08.04.56.png

On my 2nd model S both with staggered wheels. I went through several sets of Conit's, just because that's what it came with, but made the switch to Michelin a while back. If I had to score which I prefer Michelin would be first by a long shot. Much prefer the drive and feel of the Michelins over the Conti's. My commute is fairly long and 99% expressway so they both wear about the same. No arguable difference between the two mileage wise for me.