Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Delivery for Ontario Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it be possible to order a Canadian MY, but have it delivered to a Detroit area Somerset Collection Tesla store for customer pickup?

That location is 13 minutes from my sons home in Royal Oak MI, and 1hr 14 minutes from our home in Sarnia (aside from bridge crossing times).

The closest Ontario location to me is the Oakville store, which is 2hrs, 43 minutes from my home in Sarnia.

Ontario green license plates delivered to my home prior to delivery? Or I purchase and pick them up from Service Ontario here in Sarnia?

And can any warranty or regular service be done in Michigan after delivery of a Canadian registered car?

It might be possible. I've heard of US spec cars for western New York being delivered in the Toronto area but that was a while back. We've taken delivery in another state before and all Tesla had to do was send our state's paperwork to the other state. We were able to then sign it and drive the car home. Maybe they could do something similar for your situation. It doesn't hurt to ask.

And can any warranty or regular service be done in Michigan after delivery of a Canadian registered car?
I have no idea about the first part of your question. The second part s different. I had Canada service at Quebec City on my Model 3P+ with zero question. Numerous times I have encountered Canadian Teslae being serviced is South Florida, specifically at Dania and Coral Gables.

I hope the licencing and delivery parts work out smoothly. In any event, Michigan-delivered cars MUST be registered outside the State (bizarre anti-direct sales legislation) so that may make it easier for you. I suggest posing your question directly with your preferred delivery location.

You might have to Quarantine for 14 days IF you can even get across the border. Might even be 14 days in USA and 14 back in Canada. Hardly worth it for a few hours saved IMHO.
Unless one is commuting for 'essential' work. After all this entire region pretty much is a single metropolitan area. People reside in a community on one side and work on the other so much that such arrangements can be managed despite COVID-19.

It's been decades since I lived/worked between GTA, Windsor and Detroit. I know it is different now. Still, there must be a way.

What about clearing Can customs, import duties? The car has no registration yet unless OP can bring that into US along with title or bill of sale, to have when coming back into Canada? Also no record of car leaving Canada with that reg, if that means anything. It is a one time pain, I'd rather wait for Tesla to import it and handle the paperwork, to avoid those potential headaches.

I have imported/exported too many vehicles to one place or another to be willing to give up so easily. The OP may have a different view.

I recognise that the border is closed to non-essential travel. So I wouldn't even consider taking delivery in the US right now. But someday (hopefully sooner than later) things will return to normal.

So I'm really asking if anyone has experience completing the financial transaction in Canada, in Canadian funds with Tesla, but with delivery in the US.

Somehow, I would have clear ownership and an Ontario license plate, that I could take with me into Michigan. I'd drive into Michigan to the Tesla store, and complete the delivery inspection, knowledge transfer, and I could then leave the store with a new car with my Ontario plates attached.

As MorrisonHiker suggested, some folks may have done some cross country/state purchases in the past (NY purchase, Ontario delivery). I think some Michigan people had to buy their Teslas in another state until Tesla and Michigan came to some agreement.

So how does Tesla handle these situation ?

Would it be possible to order a Canadian MY, but have it delivered to a Detroit area Somerset Collection Tesla store for customer pickup?

That location is 13 minutes from my sons home in Royal Oak MI, and 1hr 14 minutes from our home in Sarnia (aside from bridge crossing times).

The closest Ontario location to me is the Oakville store, which is 2hrs, 43 minutes from my home in Sarnia.

Ontario green license plates delivered to my home prior to delivery? Or I purchase and pick them up from Service Ontario here in Sarnia?

Probably definitely not. I live in Detroit area and I was told that I would have to pick up my car in Cleveland. They are not delivering to Somerset yet.