Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 HW4/AP4 Model S Plaid Camera/AutoPilot Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model X with HW4/AP04 and it shows, "Autopilot Computer: Full self-driving computer." Just fyi, I didn't purchase FSD or anything.
this is interesting.. certainly something is wrong then... I've tried to explain this to them but of course the advisors and techs seems to be out of sync.

I've questioned is there something actually wrong with the autopilot computer.... given the random issues, calibration failures and pillar blinded issues that my former car or any loaner had (darker areas this car pillar cameras always blinded where other cars rarely .. in the same area)

this is interesting.. certainly something is wrong then... I've tried to explain this to them but of course the advisors and techs seems to be out of sync.

I've questioned is there something actually wrong with the autopilot computer.... given the random issues, calibration failures and pillar blinded issues that my former car or any loaner had (darker areas this car pillar cameras always blinded where other cars rarely .. in the same area)
Yeah hopefully they're able to fix it for you and hope they give you a loaner for taking in the car but no ETA. Perhaps you could ask them to check other S cars in their lots to compare with yours.

I've have Tesla replace both of my side repeater cameras due to the known glare defect when using turn signal at night which basically blind the camera. Tesla of course officially states this is not a defect or failure and doesn't consider it a warranty repair. In my case I sent them videos of the cameras blanking out all video and stating it occurred after rain and there must be water ingress, which is also a know issue with early cameras. Of course they weren't actually failing but it was just random moments when starting the car that video would rarely blank out and in briefly. Either way Tesla replaced them both for free and the glare issue is of course gone. But now I've noticed, and this is also a documented issue, that the color tone of (both) the repeater cameras and rear cameras are completely different. One will show a red car as red while the other shows it as clearly orange. This could totally be fixed with software but Tesla hasn't bothered.

Steve “The Woz” Wozniak was just quoted in an interview that he’s been waiting for 3 months for a button for his steering wheel to come in. He also wasn’t happy having upgraded at least 3 times due to failed promises that each version of FSB HW was all that would be needed. Lastly he said he has a Lucid on order and was thrilled that it will have a much longer range than Tesla and faster charging. Woz of course doesn’t realize those faster chargers aren’t nearly anywhere near as common as the Tesla 250 chargers. And Tesla has faster chargers coming and will likely expand quicker. Lucid also has their own issues with quality and recalls. Who knows about service so far, but seriously how many service locations does Lucid even have.

That also said I might be considering a Polestar, the budget Lucid (if it comes out), or whatever else might be here in the coming few years. Getting close to done with Tesla myself, but not there.
Just be sure the Volvo dealership that would service the Polestar is good. I had a nightmare experience with my Polestar 'service' center and it was one of the reasons that I got rid of my Polestar 2.

Got the car back this morning. They had to “align” some cameras and get all cameras fully calibrated.. it now centers perfect..

However.. and the big however. I checked service mode before I left and same issue. Autopilot computer field is blank and the _cameraPersistentlyFaulted error is an active error. SC lead said it’s a new error and no one really knows. (He’s actually been a great guy to deal with). He took pictures of that.. but the car is functioning as expected.

I bet money if I clear camera calibration it will not recalibrate due to this active error that comes and goes. I’m at a complete loss as to what to do next.

While it’s functioning, it clearly has an issue.. I always try to balance being a pain in the ass and not nitpicking.. but this has me on edge.. am I wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 207
With Tesla, your skepticism is justified as always. You are the guinea pig, beta tester, early adopter, or whatever you want to call it. One of the key reasons I didn't buy a new Plaid was dealing with a new platform and the loss of USS.

I hope it works out for you.

Reactions: StevenSD and mm9351
Update: 2 full weeks in.. They found that the coax front camera cable was routed wrong and pushing camera out of pitch. Solved that problem and it calibrated.

Picked up the car, get in interstate and the minute autopilot engaged it pulled the car to the right of the lane, nearly on the line. Took it back and got the service manager to come on a test ride with me.... He confirmed I am right.. wayyy too close to the right of the lane and certainly not centered. They also sort of admitted very little knowledge of HW4 differences and how to troubleshoot these new components.

Back in the shop it goes with no ETA.

Anyone with HW4, can you go into Service Mode and check the main screen for "Autopilot hardware". and see if it shows anything (meaning totally blank) or "Full self driving computer" ?

Mine is completely blank and other cars I've driven shows the "full self driving computer". So many HW4 anomalies...
My display also shows Full Self driving computer and I don't have the FSD subscription. I believe we all have the FSD computer built into our vehicles, but Tesla will gladly accept your $15,000 check to unlock it. In addition, my Autopilot tends to bear a little too far right in the lane to my liking. Even though it shows my vehicle dead center on the animation screen. Not a big deal, but I do find myself pulling to the left to avoid large speeding trucks in the right lane, always trying to pass me! Hate the aggressive drivers in NY. And honestly, I don't think Florida is any better having spent many vacations down there!

My display also shows Full Self driving computer and I don't have the FSD subscription. I believe we all have the FSD computer built into our vehicles, but Tesla will gladly accept your $15,000 check to unlock it. In addition, my Autopilot tends to bear a little too far right in the lane to my liking. Even though it shows my vehicle dead center on the animation screen. Not a big deal, but I do find myself pulling to the left to avoid large speeding trucks in the right lane, always trying to pass me! Hate the aggressive drivers in NY. And honestly, I don't think Florida is any better having spent many vacations down there!
Yes, your computer is capable of it (FSD). Tesla would be more than glad to separate the 15k from you and your wallet.

By the time they actually get to real full self driving (autonomous level 5) there will be some may different hardware iterations they'll likely be on HW20 if I am being very optimistic. Everyone will look back and see what a scam (if you didn't know it by now) it was when Tesla was calling the current version Full Self Driving...

Polestar is still joined at the hip with Volvo (At least in the U.S.) They have a 'hybrid' model mostly because of - you know - dealership protection laws. They have some stand alone showrooms called 'Spaces' but others are attached to a Volvo dealership. Although you can configure, make a deposit, submit trade in details and apply for financing online, you still have to do the F&I dance at the Volvo dealer. As far as service goes, only select Volvo dealerships can service Polestars. In Charlotte, NC the Polestar Space is currently at a Volvo dealership. I took delivery of my P2 May 22. It turns out that they delivered the vehicle with a faulty OBC (on board charger). They didn't have the part in stock so they had to order it. My car was at the dealership for 2 months. Service couldn't track the order, Polestar CS couldn't track it either. The service department didn't follow up and eventually my calls just went to voicemail. I had to escalate to Polestar Corporate and the Volvo service manager just flat out lied about contacting me.

They didn't have any Polestar loaners so I was stuck in an XC60 (ICE). I eventually got a hold of the Regional customer experience Manager and dealt with him exclusively until my repair was done. In addition to poor service, the dealership had only 1 Polestar technician.

About the P2 itself:

Negatives
  • Software releases are a disaster
  • The cabin has a cramped feel
  • Some of the fabrics are harsh and sharp plastics abound
  • Inside rearward visibility is a fail
  • The front cupholders are an epic fail
  • Efficiency isn't that great
  • No persistent automatic high beam
  • The ride can be harsh on less than perfect roads
  • Upgraded HK system sux
  • The app functionality is stuck in 2015
Positives

• Blended braking
  • OPD is an option
  • Rarity / Doesn't look like an EV
  • 360 degree cameras
  • AAOS implementation is fairly intuitive
As with anything YMMV. If you are interested in any of their vehicles I'd suggest that you do several test drives and find out how many Polestar certified technicians are at your local service hub. If I ever get another Polestar it would be the 5 but only if there is another option for service in my area.

Reactions: mm9351
Well.. Let me start by first saying... I love the Plaid and fully understand not having AutoPilot working doesn't prevent the car from being a car. (Seen several posts here and or on Reddit slamming owners for complaining about "core" features not working for periods of time). I get it.. However...

Traded my 2019 M3P and Took delivery of the new HW4/AP4 Model S Plaid March 30 in Orlando. Beautiful car, no real delivery issues I could see/find (outside of Driver door hard to shut but appears to be breaking in). Drove out of the "mall parking lot delivery location" (funny, but actually considering how many they have to deliver in Orlando, it's not a bad setup). I get on the interstate, try to enable autopilot, "Camera needs alignment".. yikes, so I figure, oh, it just needs to be calibrated. No calibration. Car will not calibrate, gets stuck at 94-99% and goes up and down for 200 miles. I placed a service ticket in the mobile app, get a mobile service appt (for a week away..). The day off, get a message they have converted it to a "Service Center Appointment" and it's going to be another week.

Ok, I can deal with it. Get the car to the service center at my scheduled appt 7:45am, they are backed up.. 6 others in front of me. 9am I'm out with a loaner. Car literally sits in a remote "graveyard lot" for 4 days without moving.. finally get a message "we have to order a part.. ETA 2-3 more days. Car sits for 4 more days. App responses from service center very bland "Car in-service", while it wasn't.. still sitting at the graveyard lot. (later to see when I get the car back, under oak trees).

Finally.. this Saturday, the car is ready. They replaced the forward camera cluster. Get there, drive off and wow.. autopilot engages. NO! It's hugging the right side of all lanes so bad I have people honking at me. When I turn it off and get to left of center, alerts "Take over immediately". Clearly it's not aligned and calibrated. Since the mobile app service is now closed out, they won't message me back on that service, I have to open a new ticket. No response and another "mobile service appt" scheduled for later this week which certainly will follow the same pattern since they can't do camera work remotely??

Over the weekend.. Frustrated with how it's clearly not working, I hit the clear calibration and think.. well let's just let it recalibrate. Same scenario.. Will not calibrate. I read somewhere to check for alerts/active issues in service mode and certainly, there is an active event and more frustrating, it was there before I got the car back too!

Error: APP_w349_cameraPersistentlyFaulted. Audience [service-fix,factory] (set condition: The Autopilot ECU detects one more more cameras are experiencing a persistent condition resulting in stream exits during the majority of reboots).

I've also been wondering if HW4 differences are at play here? Is the software not setup to calibrate the new resolution of the cameras? Is there something new or faulty?

I really think Tesla needs to address the service centers processes and new delivery issues. Any car with issues like this from delivery, you would think they would have a special process to get expedited. Why drop off a car you know you can't work on for days.. schedule people and appointments differently. Check all errors and validate things work before releasing.. and when a customer drives off and the problem comes back same day, have a process to get it back in.. not another week or two or three. They have an amazing product and all of the "bones" of a great service experience unlike any other. The mobile app service framework could really be great, if they fix the people side of things (scheduling, planning, organizing, customer service attitude, better communication). I have heard so many "good experiences" but I really wonder if it's the result here in Orlando of too much repair volume, undersized facility and poor leadership on service manager side.

Sorry for the long story.. just needed to vent.... Having the 2019 M3P for 4 years with ZERO issues.. I guess I didn't understand how having issues with tesla's is so complicated.
Sorry to hear about your experience. This and other stories on the Model S is why I canceled my order and went with another MYP. Which coincidentally, had to go to the service center twice in the first week to deal with the AC not cooling. Tesla has a lot of opportunity to improve its quality.

Reactions: jeremymc7
I had a delivery on MS LR last Thursday and immediately after AP calibration had this same problem,
Autopilot ja TACC not working. I get an error message "camera calibration needed".

Service mode gives APP_w225 and APP_w142 erros. Front camera pitch is clearly somehow out of bounds.

I could not find much information but found your thread on this issue.
Did you eventually get this fixed and has been OK since?
Any advice with the service to ge this fixed? Thanks.

IMG_6634.jpg
IMG_6636.jpg
IMG_6679.jpg

I had a delivery on MS LR last Thursday and immediately after AP calibration had this same problem,
Autopilot ja TACC not working. I get an error message "camera calibration needed".

Service mode gives APP_w225 and APP_w142 erros. Front camera pitch is clearly somehow out of bounds.

I could not find much information but found your thread on this issue.
Did you eventually get this fixed and has been OK since?
Any advice with the service to ge this fixed? Thanks.

View attachment 946105View attachment 946106View attachment 946107
Yes. Service center found the coax cable to camera was routed wrong causing the camera to push out of pitch.

It’s been perfect since.

Sorry for all your troubles @momoz74, it seems that this really is the luck of the draw. I have ~ 1200 miles on my 2023 Model S Plaid and have not run into a single issue. I know the person who has the 2023 Model S Plaid one VIN number different than mine, and his is the same as mine; no issues at all. I wonder if there is any chance that Tesla would allow you a “do over” starting from scratch with a new vehicle? I suspect it is highly unlikely, but I wonder if it would hurt to ask?

Joe
Just wait, you'll develop the 40-50 mph half shaft vibration after a few thousand miles and there's no fix. Ugh. I've had my half shafts replaced three times so far.

After each replacement did the problem go away and then come back. Or they tried the same thing 3 times and it never fixed the problem?
Yup. First two times it went away for a week. Third time it went away for a month. Then they brought back the problem while it was in service for 35 days to fix a squeaky suspension. Best part is that the squeak is back after a few days. So, my 10th service visit for 35 days accomplished absolutely nothing.

Yup. First two times it went away for a week. Third time it went away for a month. Then they brought back the problem while it was in service for 35 days to fix a squeaky suspension. Best part is that the squeak is back after a few days. So, my 10th service visit for 35 days accomplished absolutely nothing.
Oh man. They need some engineering problem solving to get this fixed.

Reactions: jeremymc7