Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Registration Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla keep on your toes till last minute. Keep calling delivery advisor to correct and send you final MVPA. Final MVPA will show everything in detail including financed amount and sales tax

I also live in Michigan, and am scheduled for delivery at Chicago-Westmont on 11/24, a little confused about how Tesla handles third-party financing. I had my credit union wire (preferred method according to the Tesla instructions to Lienholders), and now it shows that portion as another deposit (in addition to my original $2500 order deposit). However, it still lists that same amount as the amount financed and shows that I owe a seriously large negative amount at delivery. Can any of you share your experiences on how third party financing works for Michigan residents taking delivery in Chicago. I was planning on just making my final downpayment via personal check at delivery.

Today, I registered my Model 3 at the Lansing SOS and was told their procedure is to enter the VIN into NADA's paid site and whatever comes back is what they have to use, $49,000. We need to change the price at NADA or change the procedure.

I wonder, if NADA sets its base prices the same way for other vehicles or if, some at NADA not being too keen on Tesla might be playing into this...
NADA Chairman: Consumers Prefer Dealers Over Tesla Direct Sales

49K is for RWD on NADA. Is that what u bought or did they use that even though u bought an AWD? If so, good deal (somewhat). For comparison, they listed me as 53K registration value since NADA brought that up for my AWD. Also my VIN did not pull up anything rather they manually looked up for AWD long range.

Agree that NADA is the issue as the premium upgrade and long range are options, even if Tesla is forcing it on us. However what options do we have to convince NADA. After all they surely dont like Tesla. Petition lansing?

Agree that NADA is the issue as the premium upgrade and long range are options, even if Tesla is forcing it on us. However what options do we have to convince NADA. After all they surely dont like Tesla. Petition lansing?

The SOS sent me a survey, I checked the box asking them to contact me and put the following in the "Anything else" text box...
---

If the base price for calculating new vehicle tax and registration is truly, the MSRP before any options or taxes are added, minus the trade-in up to $4000, I believe current SOS procedure is over charging folks.

I recently registered and titled a Tesla Model 3, which had a base price of $35,000, plus $14,000 for the long range and premium trim, minus $500 for my trade-in. The clerk stated that he must use the value listed at NADA, based on my VIN. This situation is a topic of discussion on the Internet, the conclusion being that the Model 3 should be classified as "35E" and to raise the issue to management if need be. Not wanting to argue, I ended up paying a "base" price of $49,000 and the car having a classification of "49", without the "E". Is this correct?

I have stretched my budget to purchase a Tesla because I believe that if energy must be used, the more efficient it is gathered, stored and used, the better the world will be.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Reactions: mongo
@outdoors check your registration for your Model S. The Michigan SoS had the fee category of 98E on my registration. I took my Monroney sticker and title to the SoS and they adjusted it down to 69E ($69,000 for the base price of the car). Saved a bunch of money. If anyone is registering their Model 3 in Michigan, make sure to take the Monroney (window) sticker with them to the Secretary of State to make sure the correct fee category is applied.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
@outdoors check your registration for your Model S. The Michigan SoS had the fee category of 98E on my registration. I took my Monroney sticker and title to the SoS and they adjusted it down to 69E ($69,000 for the base price of the car). Saved a bunch of money. If anyone is registering their Model 3 in Michigan, make sure to take the Monroney (window) sticker with them to the Secretary of State to make sure the correct fee category is applied.

I think it depends on which SOS you go to. I did take the monroney sticker and they refused to consider this. They told me they use the NADA site and thats it (politely though). Which SOS did you go to? Also as I am not familiar with Model S, where was the 69K listed on your sticker?

Can one go to a different SOS and try to modify a registered car? I can take the moroney sticker with me again and request if thats fine.

I think it depends on which SOS you go to. I did take the monroney sticker and they refused to consider this. They told me they use the NADA site and thats it (politely though). Which SOS did you go to? Also as I am not familiar with Model S, where was the 69K listed on your sticker?

Can one go to a different SOS and try to modify a registered car? I can take the moroney sticker with me again and request if thats fine.
You can go to any SoS. I went to Howell. The top line on my Monroney sticker says base price 69000.

Reactions: melius

Take your title with you too... Show them their own website here. SOS - Vehicle Base Prices

Thanks. The site you quoted is actually the one that leads to the 53K for AWD and I believe they use something similar to it. There is a link for 2014 and beyond base model prices which leads to NADA site and there under tesla long range AWD it comes up with 53K base. thats where the issue is.

I ended up with a 55E cagetory, despite bringing the window sticker in. They were unable to look the vehicle up by VIN on NADA so he went to kelly blue book and found $55,000 base price

I'm not able to get the 35E like a few lucky owners.

They collect 6% sales tax in Cleveland when you pay for the car. About 3 weeks later you get the Ohio title via FedEx, it’s shows you paid tax in Ohio. When you take that Ohio title to Michigan SOS they won’t charge you any sales tax. Michigan and Ohio have a reciprocal tax agreement.

Got my Ohio title via FedEx 25 days after picking up the car. Looks like the Lyndhurst store sent the title to me after they received it from the Ohio DMV.

Here is my timeline:
11/20/18 Picked up car in Lyndhurst, OH given 45 day temp plate.
12/11/18. Date of issue stamped on the Ohio Title.
12/14/18. Tesla in Lyndhurst, OH sent the FedEx packet
12/15/18. FedEx packet at my door.

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
Thanks for the timeline. I sent a message to the “executive care” level and the response to paraphrase was that my delay was unusual, he had to investigate with the registration team, be patient, and Tesla would get back to me. This is where not having a “dealer” in Michigan is not so good.

Registered my car in Michigan today. They are still using the NADA website. The really rub is the NADA website hasn't updated to show the price decreases Tesla has instituted. I argued for the $35k base price and was shot down. They agent told me I was wrong and Tesla's are never that cheap (gee I wouldn't know how much a Tesla is, it's not like I just bought one) I have a LR AWD. I then argued that at worst it should now be $51k as that is what the MVPA has for the base model 3 of 35k and the AWD option of 16K which equals $51k. She again said that doesn't matter that Tesla lowered the prices, the MSRP would still be 53K. How that logic works is beyond me as I have a MVPA that says model 3 35000 and AWD 16000, no other combinations of numbers add up to 53000. The disconnect is that they still think in terms of dealers lowering prices via cash off incentives. Tesla is the Manufacturer, what they sell it for is the MSRP, they are not a dealer.

I ended up doing $51k and they made me fill out a form stating why I felt that was the appropriate price. If the motor vehicles department says I'm wrong they'll send me the bill for the difference.

I called my state rep after I left and left a message with the secretary.

I will continue to attempt to convince my fiance to leave this state.

I brought in my window sticker in hopes to prove $35k base, but the guy kept telling me that I got a good deal on my car. Apparently their system was showing a $65k base. I tried to explain that no one gets a deal on a Tesla, but he just kept saying I got a good deal based on my window sticker price compared to their inflated number.

“How can a base price be higher than the fully loaded window sticker?” I asked. His response, “ I don’t know, but you got a good deal”

SMH ‍