Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Registration Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AA branch upper level people know about Teslas, and NADA now has fairly reasonable values in their system (which may or may not have caught up with the recent price cuts).
So, getting the 35E class in AA is unlikely. See my post above.
Try Chelsea, maybe.

Thanks. Worth a shot. What worries me is that I did confirm NADA's value has caught up with the published pricing on Tesla website... except I have an M3P-, which is not published. NADA lists the performance base at 54,990 when in reality it should be 49,990 for an M3P-. So even if 35E is not in the cards, I certainly don't want to get stuck with a registration fee based on a price I didn't pay.

Thanks. Worth a shot. What worries me is that I did confirm NADA's value has caught up with the published pricing on Tesla website... except I have an M3P-, which is not published. NADA lists the performance base at 54,990 when in reality it should be 49,990 for an M3P-. So even if 35E is not in the cards, I certainly don't want to get stuck with a registration fee based on a price I didn't pay.

Maybe they will do it as an optioned up AWD instead.

Just closing the loop on this, I had a good experience at the Chelsea SOS. I explained that I'd been warned that the system tends not to come up with the right base price because it's a type of car that's not sold in Michigan, and that I had brought a couple docs to show the correct base price without options. I showed her the base price on the Monroney sticker and my MVPA and she said, "Oh, I see what you're talking about, $35,000, right?" and that was it. 35000E on my registration. We chatted a bit about the self-driving features, how I'd driven it up north and how Superchargers worked, and how crazy expensive it was to register electric cars here... and I was on my way. Other than the 2+ hour wait it was a super pleasant experience.

Michigan has a backwards vehicle registration system that severely penalizes drivers of EVs and used cars in general. Here’s an interesting article on the subject which basically confirms that Michigan calculates license plate fees based on original BASE manufacturer suggested retail price. As a result, drivers of older vehicles typically pay a higher license registration fee compared to newer more expensive vehicles. This is especially true of a EVs and Teslas. My Tesla registration fee is close to $700 per year in Michigan thanks to the EV tax and the practice of setting a fee based on MSRP when the car was new (it’s 5 years old now).

The registration problem is made worse for Tesla as Secretary of State offices (SOS) use the NADA site exclusively to determine base price. So even though the Monroney sticker or window sticker of my Tesla lists a base price of 69k, no SOS branch will recognize that as the base price (I’ve tried multiple branches) because they use NADA. The problem with NADA is that it does not have correct base rates in their system because they only separate Tesla’s based on battery trim before including all other options as standard.

Has anyone been able to use the Monroney sticker or window sticker at an SOS branch to override the NADA base price of their car? My hope is that Michigan residents will follow the below link to contact their legislators so these practices are changed. I’m basically paying more fees to Michigan for my 5 year old Tesla than someone else who has a brand new P100D.

Opinion | Michigan continues to overcharge drivers of older vehicles

Reactions: TreeStryder
Has anyone been able to use the Monroney sticker or window sticker at an SOS branch to override the NADA base price of their car? My hope is that Michigan residents will follow the below link to contact their legislators so these practices are changed. I’m basically paying more fees to Michigan for my 5 year old Tesla than someone else who has a brand new P100D.
Opinion | Michigan continues to overcharge drivers of older vehicles

Yes, my friend, @Electric Joe, and I used the Monroney stickers to get our fees adjusted. See:

Michigan Registration Fee

Though it sounds like they are rather resistant to doing it anymore. We talked to the branch manager.

Here is WA state's.
It used to cost $35/year for a car.

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 3.31.51 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: SilverMonk