Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid range battery available now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed my order a few hours ago! Is it worth "downsizing?"

If you can swing the $s, I'd stay with the LR battery. We have a 75D MS with 259 miles (basically the 260 of the midrange Model 3) and the one thing my husband has said he would have changed if he hadn't been so focused on the price of the 100D is the battery--would have gone for the larger capacity. Same $9K battery difference I think from when we would have bought. But to many wanting to get into a Model 3 and were waiting for the Standard but wanted something sooner, this range would have a lot of appeal still.

Also keep in mind you typically want to have your battery in the 20% - 80% range and if you live in a colder climate or really hot one, you'll give up some range in cold weather or with A/C use. So keep that in mind when you weigh the right battery for your use.

Last edited:
I find it a nice move. Might push some SR into MR. Help them get the credit if it goes away without further action by congress/pres on pending legislation. In committee now I think.

It may not be what the SR people want, but an effort. I am happy with my LR RWD. Sorry to see it go.

Looks like I paid $500 too much 2 days ago for my white interior. Sucks I accepted the car that has to go in for repairs only to have it's value also drop $500.

If you keep looking back you will make yourself unhappy. Had this discussion on the forum many times over the years. Tesla changes things up all the time and without a crystal ball you never know when the best time to have jumped in would have been for you. In our case we ordered our Model 3 on 8/26 and actually saved ourselves money ordering early since they raised the price on some of the items we optioned for. But for our Model S while we got free supercharging which was to disappear, they added it back later and made standard some of the items like the power lift-gate and forgot whatelse that we did pay for and reduced the price slightly. oh well. Best to learn to be happy with what you got and enjoy driving it.

Something I'd like to add for those on the fence: my lifetime average for the LR RWD is 228watts/mile which is almost 330 miles for the pack. This is with plenty of freeway driving and hard acceleration but not like guys on Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

In short, the 3LR RWD is probably underrated a bit, so that should be factored in, where as I bet that 260 on LeMR is probably fairly accurate to EPA numbers.

Ordered one last weekend, and sticking with it, as would rather have the FSD at the cheaper price and guaranteed swap out later than whatever price we will get when the option returns! Wonder if add-on price will be $5,000 or what?

And, the car will be here in two weeks from ordering. I was shocked, but I guess that's what a reservation still helps you get (ordered Sunday, delivery is slated for 10/27).

How do you figure that? I posted a photo of the page where you select the battery range and it's right there at the bottom. Your first step.
Selection part is in blue ovals on the left.

Ycwl6jy.png

Reactions: outdoors
Something I'd like to add for those on the fence: my lifetime average for the LR RWD is 228watts/mile which is almost 330 miles for the pack. This is with plenty of freeway driving and hard acceleration but not like guys on Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

In short, the 3LR RWD is probably underrated a bit, so that should be factored in, where as I bet that 260 on LeMR is probably fairly accurate to EPA numbers.

Actually, EPA tested LR RWD at 334 miles. Tesla voluntarily reduced the EPA range on RWD so that AWD didn't look bad. For S and X, AWD improves range, but for a couple of reasons the opposite is true on Model 3.

Before was on my laptop but also displayed on my mobile app.. it's right there highlighted in blue area under Select Your Car.
View attachment 345036
cool, but again it's not where you select the car... You cannot see the full prices side by side.

In addition, since it's not in the places you'd actually touch on your phone it can lead to confusion (even though it's displayed below *after you make a selection.)

So I just placed an order for the LR RWD... any reason to change to the mid range besides lower cost?

The new mid ranged RWD has access to white interiors! So if you want white interiors, and don't mind the shorter range, then yes it's a good deal to change. Otherwise, the existing LR RWD is now the longest range Model 3 available money can buy. If range is your #1 priority, then stick with LR RWD you have ordered.

Reactions: suwaneedad
So the general take on this is that this is a middle-ground battery option, and thus is not the "$35K" car, which itself would have a smaller capacity battery? That would be fine, but it seems unusual that Tesla would add an extra battery option than what we were previously expecting considering their consistent trend of reducing the number of options instead of increasing them. Is this the "$35K" car, and they decided at least for awhile it can't actually be $35K, or are they just doing something weird and unexpected and the $35K version comes later?

That's the thing, the SR is 220mi. There's only 40mi of nominal full range gap between this new tier and the "Standard", and they're changing $5000 for that gap.

When I ordered my X, they were charging $10k for the ~25 mile difference between a 75 and a 90. Right now, it's over $16k for 60 miles on a Model X. Of course, those upgrades also include faster supercharging, and in the second case I believe a 50% increase in onboard charger capacity. Still, this is by far the cheapest range upgrade yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
$10k I believe ($35k vs $45k).

$5k for the battery and another $5k for PUP.

If you back out the PUP cost (5k) you'll find it's 35/40/44k for SR RWD (not yet available) / MR RWD /LR RWD (no longer available on site)

The official cost from MR to LR is actually higher because they want to sell you LR AWD not LR RWD, so there's the AWD tax too.

But ignoring that for the moment (you can order off menu the LR RWD still for a week or so yet, same for pre ordering FSD), the 220 to 260 and 260 to 310 are separate by 5k and 4k.

If you keep looking back you will make yourself unhappy. Had this discussion on the forum many times over the years. Tesla changes things up all the time and without a crystal ball you never know when the best time to have jumped in would have been for you. In our case we ordered our Model 3 on 8/26 and actually saved ourselves money ordering early since they raised the price on some of the items we optioned for. But for our Model S while we got free supercharging which was to disappear, they added it back later and made standard some of the items like the power lift-gate and forgot whatelse that we did pay for and reduced the price slightly. oh well. Best to learn to be happy with what you got and enjoy driving it.
It wouldn't be as annoying if I had the car and all the issues with it fixed but I'm still in need of paint etc. If I rejected it it would have cost me $500 less?

Are the new performance models also faster now?

Crap I have driven the car like twice and now the news ones are faster. Well that didn't last long :(