Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-range changes in range or battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As promised I'm posting my findings after 2 months of charging from 20% - 90%. I now see 253 miles on the full charge. It is still going so I will continue this process for the next month or so. Not sure if charging to 90% is healthy for the battery. I was told to do that only if I have to and 80% is the best way to go. I did drain the battery to 5% perhaps once or twice but my miles are definitely coming back comparing to 240 miles before. I hope in a month I will see something closer to 260 miles. Additionally my lifetime Wh/Mil usage is 240.
Excellent! I’m glad to hear your battery is doing well and did not have much real degradation. You are currently at 4%, which is probably normal for the first year+

As promised I'm posting my findings after 2 months of charging from 20% - 90%. I now see 253 miles on the full charge. It is still going so I will continue this process for the next month or so. Not sure if charging to 90% is healthy for the battery. I was told to do that only if I have to and 80% is the best way to go. I did drain the battery to 5% perhaps once or twice but my miles are definitely coming back comparing to 240 miles before. I hope in a month I will see something closer to 260 miles. Additionally my lifetime Wh/Mil usage is 240.
Great, so exactly as predicted. So bad that the manual is written poorly and people charge their cars daily and mess up their BMS on the 3 at least. It seems the BMS can't really handle those charges, I guess it is a combination of poorly written BMS or poorly adapted to the new configuration.

Let us know how it went down the road. I don't think you will see 260 but 255 should be realistic. 90% is fine if you time it so that you leave right away.

What was the brand new value at 100%? 260 or 265?

hey guys, After reading tadekh comments i started the process of trying to reset my battery in my 2018 mid range model 3. I brought the battery all the way down to about 2% yesterday and charge it up to 100%. I only got 229 miles at full charge. What is interesting at one point early when it was charging the range slider on my phone showed 250 for a time and i would of been ok with that but dropped shortly to 223-230 for the max range it was showing. Is the consensus this is ok now for our cars, a max 229 full charge? my car has just over 30k miles on it. Thanks all. Doug

@Doug_D Something that has made a difference in my MidRange (but is somewhat annoying to do)... is charge to 90% and let it sit for a few days, then use to <50% or so ... make sure you spend a day or so below 50%. then charge back to 90%. This has naturally happened to me two periods (first over christmas/new year and now with the "work from home" conditions where I don't drive much at all). Both times I saw significant gains in displayed range:
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 1.28.55 PM.png

What I have been doing is letting it get down to <30% or charge (takes me about a week or more these days). Then, I charge it up to 90% and it sits there for several days. The sitting at 90% allows the battery cells to balance, which allows the entire pack to charge more (it has to stop charging when the 'highest' cell reaches its limit).

Reactions: KenC
@Doug_D Something that has made a difference in my MidRange (but is somewhat annoying to do)... is charge to 90% and let it sit for a few days, then use to <50% or so ... make sure you spend a day or so below 50%. then charge back to 90%. This has naturally happened to me two periods (first over christmas/new year and now with the "work from home" conditions where I don't drive much at all). Both times I saw significant gains in displayed range:
View attachment 550510
What I have been doing is letting it get down to <30% or charge (takes me about a week or more these days). Then, I charge it up to 90% and it sits there for several days. The sitting at 90% allows the battery cells to balance, which allows the entire pack to charge more (it has to stop charging when the 'highest' cell reaches its limit).

hi, thanks for that info. i will try that too. i was doing the <20 then back to 80 but i prefer 90 which to me gives me more peace of mind if i need to take a long drive suddenly. I did open a ticket with tesla and they diag my battery remotely and the recommenced basically the same process as what you mention. they did stress to leave it at the high end of the charge for a bit. I dont know if i can let it sit for days at the high end but i will give it a shot. Thanks for your comment!