Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Middle row seats in 6-seater vs. 7-seater: How far forward can they go?

Which seat configuration in the Model X offers the most flexibility and utility?

• 5 seats

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 6 seats

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 7 seats

Votes: 37 68.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an S and a 6 seater X. When we need to carry anything we use the S. The X does not hold nearly as much with the weird shaped area to try and put things with the middle seats scooted forward. Unless by versatility you mean carrying more people, I think the fold flat ability of the 5 seat configuration gives it the most flexibility to carry “stuff”.

I hear you, Firewired. But... doesn't the new "fold-flat" 7-seater offer the same flexibility to carry stuff as the 5-seater??

Okay folks, here's the update:

We couldn't actually see a 7-seater before we ordered: we only saw the 6-seater (which was beautiful). However, the 7-seater sounded good in theory.

A couple of weeks later, a new Tesla store opened in Toronto and it actually HAD a 7-seater, so the family raced over there to look at the 7-seater. Sadly, we were all shocked to see how closed-in the back row felt. The middle row "wall of seats" in the 7-seater extends quite high, and the ceiling in the Model X is quite low, so we felt like we were being locked in the trunk when those lovely falcon wing doors came down. The human mind is not designed to enjoy the experience of being closed in and locked down.

I emailed our service rep right there from the new Tesla showroom and asked to change our configuration to the 6-seater. Our family felt that ALL of the seats in the 6-seater are quite comfortable and open feeling, whereas only five seats are useful in the 7-seater. However, when you really stop to think about it, only four seats in the 7-seater would be as comfortable as any of the seats in the 6-seater because if the middle row in the 7-seater is full, then you have three people sardined together, shoulder-to-shoulder. So, in a way, the 7-seater only offers four truly comfortable seats. That's why we are willing to pay $3,800.00 MORE for the 6-seater over the 7-seater.

We have had a VIN assigned for the 7-seater for about a week... I just hope we're not too late!

PS.

I also learned the answer to my question about which middle row seats move up more than the other: the 6-seater or the 7-seater. The winner is actually the 7-seater. The manually-controlled middle row seats in the 7-seater have TEN indentation points where the seats can lock in. The middle row in the electronic 6-seater can move to all kinds of places; however, it cannot "latch" just anywhere. When the middle row seats are moved all the way up, they are "unlatched," and the car will give you a warning: "Second Row Seats Unlatched." (See image below.) The car will then make you move the seats back to a point where it can latch, but that point that doesn't offer very much room to the back row at all.

The number of places where the electronic seats can actually latch and allow you to drive with someone sitting in the middle-row seats are limited, so even when a middle row seat is moved as far forward as it can be (while also allowing the car to drive), it cannot move as far forward as the middle row seats in the 7-seater. The difference between the two is around one and a half inches.

Attachments

• IMG_7185.png
    IMG_7185.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 224
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and Corbets
I believe you checked VIN to find out what is the seat options, if you still have the same VIN until it's approaching delivering date, you'd better to check with the Tesla again. Vin says all. Confirm with Tesla to change the option.

I believe you checked VIN to find out what is the seat options, if you still have the same VIN until it's approaching delivering date, you'd better to check with the Tesla again. Vin says all. Confirm with Tesla to change the option.

I did that today. They said it's too late to change my configuration. They offered me this option though: Cancel your order at no penalty and place a new order for a 6-seater... at the new, $4,000.00 increased, Model X price. The decision gets tougher by the second.

Here's our update: We cancelled our order for the 7-seater (at no penalty... which was nice), and we placed a new order for a 6-seater configuration.

Believe it or not, the price of the Model X went up by $4,000.00 in the two weeks since we placed our first order, but that's because it now comes standard with the premium upgrades package (which includes the super-duper air filter, jacked audio-system, self-presenting front door, and the sub-zero package). I understand that this package was $6,000.00 more when it was an option, so I guess that might be a bit of a bonus.

So there you have it... almost $8,000.00 later, we're getting the 6-seater. Sure wish we saw that 7-seater before we made our decision.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
IMHO if you are planning on carrying more than 4 adults you must go with the 6 seater. Not only is it roomier for all but everyone puts at least their middle leg between the 2nd row seats when in the third row.

We also don't move the seats for access to the third row as people prefer just to climb through rather than wait for the seats to move forward and back and they also think it's easier than going through the outside of the car.

Now if you could just find a way to make the 2nd row fold flat and move them inboard a few inches is would be perfect.:)

Reactions: ArtLightstone
Here's our update: We cancelled our order for the 7-seater (at no penalty... which was nice), and we placed a new order for a 6-seater configuration.

Believe it or not, the price of the Model X went up by $4,000.00 in the two weeks since we placed our first order, but that's because it now comes standard with the premium upgrades package (which includes the super-duper air filter, jacked audio-system, self-presenting front door, and the sub-zero package). I understand that this package was $6,000.00 more when it was an option, so I guess that might be a bit of a bonus.

So there you have it... almost $8,000.00 later, we're getting the 6-seater. Sure wish we saw that 7-seater before we made our decision.

premium upgrade also has more heating functions and especially when you live in Ontario, it helps a lot, right? Anyway, no penalty was really good, and finally you have a peace of mind.

premium upgrade also has more heating functions and especially when you live in Ontario, it helps a lot, right? Anyway, no penalty was really good, and finally you have a peace of mind.

Yeah... I figure we'll all really appreciate that sub zero package. I'm not sure how much we'll care about anything else in the upgrade package, but you never know...