Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Midnight siliver color regret anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got the midnight silver MR model 3 and initially I was very happy with the color choice. However now it seems that everyone and their cousins have got the midnight silver M3. At work there are three other Model 3's that look like mine. I sometimes have to look at the license plate or tags to see which one is mine - lol.

The reason I didn't get the black was because it shows dirt and spots a lot easier but now I'm kind of regretting it because I don't see too many black Model 3s but see a ton of midnight silvers.

Anyone else notice a lot more midnight silvers than other colors?

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby
You're probably right about the number MSM models 3 but it is still a beautiful color. Shines easily and IMO looks perfect with the 19in sport wheels. This is the only car I have never taken thru an automatic car wash, I only have it hand washed at a local place, otherwise I do the waterless spray and wipe. My last three SUV's, 1 KIA and 2 Mercedes were all black and you could see all scratches and tiny dings. No regrets not getting the black. Find a way to make it stand out, I put TESLA lettering on mine and I don't see too many of those out there so it's a bit different. I understand not many people care to do that but I like the way it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 6,773
90E5CA4E-150C-4B74-A596-B245A8E58112.jpeg
So I got the midnight silver MR model 3 and initially I was very happy with the color choice. However now it seems that everyone and their cousins have got the midnight silver M3. At work there are three other Model 3's that look like mine. I sometimes have to look at the license plate or tags to see which one is mine - lol.

The reason I didn't get the black was because it shows dirt and spots a lot easier but now I'm kind of regretting it because I don't see too many black Model 3s but see a ton of midnight silvers.

ZERO regrets and I don’t see that many

Its the most common color I see in the model 3. People in general like to stick to primary colors for cars, especially regular commuter cars (and even more especially expensive regular commuter cars). Thats why you see so many BMWs and Mercedes that are Black, White, and grey. Check out a BMW lot sometime, and the colors in stock are almost assuredly black (or some form of black that has highlights of another color in it but is basically still mostly black), white, and some form of grey / silver.)

I had a blue 435, and while I saw tons of BMWs on my regular commute daily (I live in and work in areas where they are very common), I saw exactly 2 blue bmws in my home town, and 1-2 on my commute... in 3 years.

With red and white being the "most expensive" colors I suspect that if that holds red will end up being the rarest one.

The most common Model 3s I see are MSM (grey), White, and black, then red. Thats one of the reasons I got blue (the other being that I got used to driving a blue car, and blue is currently not a super popular color.. and the tesla blue is one I like).

OP if it really bothers you just get a vehicle wrap, and you can get one of a bunch of colors to make your car more unique.

Its the most common color I see in the model 3. People in general like to stick to primary colors for cars, especially regular commuter cars (and even more especially expensive regular commuter cars). Thats why you see so many BMWs and Mercedes that are Black, White, and grey. Check out a BMW lot sometime, and the colors in stock are almost assuredly black (or some form of black that has highlights of another color in it but is basically still mostly black), white, and some form of grey / silver.)

I had a blue 435, and while I saw tons of BMWs on my regular commute daily (I live in and work in areas where they are very common), I saw exactly 2 blue bmws in my home town, and 1-2 on my commute... in 3 years.

With red and white being the "most expensive" colors I suspect that if that holds red will end up being the rarest one.

The most common Model 3s I see are MSM (grey), White, and black, then red. Thats one of the reasons I got blue (the other being that I got used to driving a blue car, and blue is currently not a super popular color.. and the tesla blue is one I like).

OP if it really bothers you just get a vehicle wrap, and you can get one of a bunch of colors to make your car more unique.

I made my front and back logos red on my midnight silver Model 3 so I can distinguish it from other midnight silver Tesla.

Don’t get me wrong, I do love the color. Plus it match’s the aero wheels. I just didn’t except it to be this popular. I think when they got rid of the regular silver option in September more people got the midnight silver.

I’ll going to try to make mine a little more unique.

Don’t get me wrong, I do love the color. Plus it match’s the aero wheels. I just didn’t except it to be this popular. I think when they got rid of the regular silver option in September more people got the midnight silver.

I’ll going to try to make mine a little more unique.

Since there are only a few colors right now (black, midnight silver, blue, white, red) and the Model 3 has sold over 150k vehicles in a single year, you are bound to see a lot of the same color Model 3 no matter which one you have, lol.

What I did (in addition to getting blue)

1. Get the chrome delete, in satin black (pretty common). Have shop do tesla logo on trunk and hood in same satin black (slightly less common).
2. Have shop wrap mirror caps with carbon fiber look wrap (havent seen another model 3 with this, and looks killer in my opinion)
3. Have shop wrap black area where a rear diffuser would be on my Model 3 performance with dry carbon fiber look (havent seen another with this).
4. Use satin black plain license plate frame instead of tesla one
5. Have wood and console wrapped by same shop above in the same dry carbon fiber look used on the mirror caps and rear diffuser area.

Planned:
1. When my performance dual motor badge is delivered, taking it to the above shop and having them paint it satin black just like the tesla logos.
2. When carbon fiber rear spoiler is delivered to me for the model 3 performance, have that installed (completing the carbon fiber look for spoiler, rear diffuser area, and mirror caps)

All visual stuff, not over the top, but I dont think my blue model 3 is going to look exactly like anyone elses, at least around here.

This is exactly why I switched the color from midnight silver to obsidian black when placing the order. I was thrilled when Tesla announce it would no longer be an option and have not seen another obsidian black Model 3 besides mine.

Sure enough it seems to show dirt a little more than other colors but it is so beautiful when clean. Very happy with the choice. My only regret is letting my family talk me out of getting the white interior.

Reactions: mswlogo
Could not possibly care less. The less my car stands out in a crowd, the better. The only regret I have about the color is that Tesla's entire color selection is tame and boring, I'd have gotten a bright blue if they offered it, since that's my favorite color, but I dislike the blue that they offer because it's much too dark.

Black is for people who are rich enough to have someone to keep their car clean full time, or have more free time than I do. Or they just don't care.

Silver is for people who put on a beige cardigan and watch Antiques Roadshow when they want to be exciting.

White is for people who go to nightclubs and drink foofoo drinks before putting selfies on instagram.

Deep Blue Metallic is for people who wanted to try and buy a cool color but didn't see it under anything but ideal conditions.

Red is actually interesting, it's just not for me.

Midnight Silver is for the rest of us.

I see a fair amount of Midnight Silver cars in the Bay Area. I really like that color and went back and forth a dozen times myself between MSM and Pearl White...eventually going with white only because I had never had a white car in my life while I have had 3 or 4 grey-ish ones. But I think MSM looks sharp...especially at dusk!