Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Midnight siliver color regret anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5FFB12F7-EC14-403F-8567-553E2496E98A.jpeg
So I got the midnight silver MR model 3 and initially I was very happy with the color choice. However now it seems that everyone and their cousins have got the midnight silver M3. At work there are three other Model 3's that look like mine. I sometimes have to look at the license plate or tags to see which one is mine - lol.

The reason I didn't get the black was because it shows dirt and spots a lot easier but now I'm kind of regretting it because I don't see too many black Model 3s but see a ton of midnight silvers.

Anyone else notice a lot more midnight silvers than other colors?
Here in Hawaii, quite a few but, no regrets! I’ve done things to make it unique. I see you plan to do the same.

Reactions: JES2
I'd do this if it wasn't $2-3k. I really wish Tesla would offer a factory equiv to audi's black optic package.

Exactly! BMW calls their version "Shadowline trim" I think. I always got that for my BMWs. I am very surprised that Tesla doesn't offer this. I would expect that whichever supplier supplies the chrome pieces could just as easily supply black trim pieces and Tesla's costs would likely be not much different so even charging $500-$800 for that option would be mostly all profit.

So I got the midnight silver MR model 3 and initially I was very happy with the color choice. However now it seems that everyone and their cousins have got the midnight silver M3. At work there are three other Model 3's that look like mine. I sometimes have to look at the license plate or tags to see which one is mine - lol.
You'd have the same experience with any other color too (except probably silver, which is no longer available and kind of rare).
Anyone else notice a lot more midnight silvers than other colors?
I notice tons of blue ones ... probably because mine is blue. ;)

It's time Tesla offered some more color choices ...

Exactly! BMW calls their version "Shadowline trim" I think. I always got that for my BMWs. I am very surprised that Tesla doesn't offer this. I would expect that whichever supplier supplies the chrome pieces could just as easily supply black trim pieces and Tesla's costs would likely be not much different so even charging $500-$800 for that option would be mostly all profit.

Tesla has this weird hatred (not literally, just… I dunno) for their customers, I think. It's very Apple-like, they offer what they want the customers to have, no matter how many people say "I'd buy X/Y/Z option if they offered it", and if they do offer it, it's their own weird version not quite like anyone asked for (case in point, the bad/dumb implementation of cooled seats a while back)

You'd have the same experience with any other color too (except probably silver, which is no longer available and kind of rare).
I notice tons of blue ones ... probably because mine is blue. ;)

It's time Tesla offered some more color choices ...

A good bright blue, a bright green, a purple, an orange…

Even if they only did one batch of cars in colors like that per month and only by special order, I'd have waited.

I switched my order from blue to MSM but then switched back to blue before the order was fullfilled after seeing several MSMs in person and just thinking it looked pretty bleh.

Everytime I see an MSM in the wild I'm glad I didn't pick it. Audi/BMW/Mercedes metallic gray have a lot more pop and look warmer... they have more metallic elements I think than Tesla has.

Then again, blue has its own issues. So does every color Tesla offers.

Rarest Model 3s in my area are black ones for some reason, followed by white and then blue. Seen quite a few MSM ones around, a lot of red ones and a handful of blue ones.

Reactions: Torque Monster
White seems to be more rare in Northern VA, specifically Reston. I was initially on the msm but didn't like the way it looked when dirty (same with blue) and coming from a Black truck knew that wasn't the route I wanted to go. Wife vetoed red so o went with the color I think the S looks best in.

I've seen 4 - 3s today and 2 we're msm while the other we're both red. Very happy with white, we'll see how that front looks when the bugs come out in a few months

Reactions: flashflooder
I switched my order from blue to MSM but then switched back to blue before the order was fullfilled after seeing several MSMs in person and just thinking it looked pretty bleh.

Everytime I see an MSM in the wild I'm glad I didn't pick it. Audi/BMW/Mercedes metallic gray have a lot more pop and look warmer... they have more metallic elements I think than Tesla has.

I’m feeling a little remorse about ordering MSM, not because I’ve seen many others but because of what v-n mentions above. That said, I went with it in the first place because blue, red, and white looked a little cheap to me on the lot and I’m not one to clean my car often enough to want black. At the end of the day, I’m on the inside looking out far more than the other way round and the suggestions to personalize or maybe someday get a wrap are great options.

Silver is the easiest color to maintain and doesn’t show swirls as much, followed by white and then MSM.

I had a steel grey BMW prior and it was prett y easy to maintain until you got rock chips, but swirls and dirt/dust wasn’t very noticeable.

Personally I see the pearl white everywhere down in OC, maybe because I have that now, and I bet the flat white is going to become a lot more common as it will be the base paint color. Also, if you just generally look at the colors of other cars and manufacturers, it seems like white is the most common.

You're probably right about the number MSM models 3 but it is still a beautiful color. Shines easily and IMO looks perfect with the 19in sport wheels. This is the only car I have never taken thru an automatic car wash, I only have it hand washed at a local place, otherwise I do the waterless spray and wipe. My last three SUV's, 1 KIA and 2 Mercedes were all black and you could see all scratches and tiny dings. No regrets not getting the black. Find a way to make it stand out, I put TESLA lettering on mine and I don't see too many of those out there so it's a bit different. I understand not many people care to do that but I like the way it looks.

I like the "tesla" ording on the back of the car. Where did u buy it...
Thanks
D

lots of MSMs here too. one thing my PPF installer told me was MSM was the LEAST likely color to have paint defects, blue being the worst. most of the M3s he sees come through his shops have either paint nubs or residual color from a prior spray.

i can count the number of nubs on my car on one hand and could probably tell you where each one is.