Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Midnight Silver Metallic is the new Free color!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I double checked that I didn't see it wrong, but the MSM color is now the base color and white costs $1000
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 19.11.57.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 19.11.31.png

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT and Dayreg
Have they ever changed it before? I guess we will see a lot more silvers now.

Yes, a few different times (speaking about model 3s specifically).

When they were launched and all through 2018, black was the free color. white was the 2nd most expensive color and red was the most expensive like 2k or 3k more, cant remember which now).

Then, White was made the free color, the same one that they used to charge people 2500 for.

There was a point where both white and metallic grey were free.

All of this was when the cars were more expensive than they are now though.

For me, it wasn't a money thing. I just wanted a car that didn't show dirt. I've had blue and black before, they looked like they needed washed the day after they were washed. Before I even knew there was a price difference, I was looking at white and silver.

Weird thing. Since putting $250 down on my WHITE MY in April (took delivery May 5th) it's gone up in price 4 times.

Last edited:
For me, it wasn't a money thing. I just wanted a car that didn't show dirt. I've had blue and black before, they looked like they needed washed the day after they were washed. Before I even knew there was a price difference, I was looking at white and silver.

Weird thing. Since putting $250 down on my WHITE MY in April (took delivery May 5th) it's gone up in price 4 times.
I agree on black, it's not a color I'd get again unless I got a good deal on it. Blue though I've had two blue cars and it's like red, it almost always looks clean. Maybe you had a dark blue? Both of mine were bright blue.

I wonder what drove that change
Was the free white a multi-coat? That would be my guess, I'd heard complaints on here that the free white color was not durable so they may have upgraded the white. Instead of making the base car 1k more expensive I guess they went with their currently cheapest to produce color as the free one? I'm glad they did it, I don't like the Y in white and it seems like half of them out there are white.

It really sucks that I paid $1000 extra for metallic grey and took delivery of 2023 MYLR last week of June 2023. Really feel bad they made that color free when I paid 1000 extra 3 weeks ago.

Sorry for sounding cheap but do you all think it is worth asking Tesla for refund/adjustment or SC miles as compensation?