Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Midwest Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting to see any EDD. 4 more days and it will be a month since booking an MYLR. I suspect it will be a January delivery, unless one of the bills in Congress gives a large rebate for EV vehicles for 2022. which might create a havoc of Tesla car owners putting their delivery on hold.

I couldn't pick up mine last month in Chicago, beginning of Sept. since I was in Texas on a trip, but good to see that my new EDD is 10/8 to 10/22...so I guess it may not be much of a loss (6/16 order)

and grats to whoever got the early pick up (of mine last month in Chicago Highland Park)

Also, good to see that my almost 5 year old van of 34k miles has now also appreciated a couple thousand more in price (on carvanna)...so hoping that Tesla will give a comparable trade-in price (probably minus a few $$$) when the time comes in the next few weeks

Those who have picked up your vehicle, if you did not take finance from Tesla but chose "cash", how did you make the payment to Tesla? My last few Lexus purchases were made by personal check to the dealer. The Dealer does get a document signed that title transfer is effective pending realization of funds. But I was never asked to pay with a cashier's check for either of our Lexus or Acura SUV's. But I understand Tesla wants payment before you even go to pick the car and use a third party to draw the cash out of your account and they need your log in details. That sounds very scary to me. If this is not the place to ask this question, happy to post elsewhere. Thanks.

Those who have picked up your vehicle, if you did not take finance from Tesla but chose "cash", how did you make the payment to Tesla? My last few Lexus purchases were made by personal check to the dealer. The Dealer does get a document signed that title transfer is effective pending realization of funds. But I was never asked to pay with a cashier's check for either of our Lexus or Acura SUV's. But I understand Tesla wants payment before you even go to pick the car and use a third party to draw the cash out of your account and they need your log in details. That sounds very scary to me. If this is not the place to ask this question, happy to post elsewhere. Thanks.
I was worried about paying with their "plaid" service, so I was planning on getting a cashiers check for the balance of the amount owed to tesla at delivery but work got in the way so I gave in and paid with Plaid. As soon as the screen said the payment went through I went into my banking app on my phone and changed my password to prevent any further access to plaid to my records and accounts.

You have to realize tesla isn't worried about finding somebody else to buy your car if you don't play by their rules. For now atleast, demand is in their favor so I'd recommend just showing up with a certified check or using plaid because if you run into a SA having a bad day they could pull the car from you and reassign it to to the next guy.

I was worried about paying with their "plaid" service, so I was planning on getting a cashiers check for the balance of the amount owed to tesla at delivery but work got in the way so I gave in and paid with Plaid. As soon as the screen said the payment went through I went into my banking app on my phone and changed my password to prevent any further access to plaid to my records and accounts.

You have to realize tesla isn't worried about finding somebody else to buy your car if you don't play by their rules. For now atleast, demand is in their favor so I'd recommend just showing up with a certified check or using plaid because if you run into a SA having a bad day they could pull the car from you and reassign it to to the next guy.
I am told changing password does not stop access to your bank account. I am planning to move money to a bank account I keep in the local banks to deposit checks that are not scannable and need to be deposited personally. I will move money to that account where I keep a small balance to keep the account open. I am no way going to give our main salary account details to Tesla's third party.

Hello, has anybody done an interest rate rematch with Tesla in Michigan? My SA said tesla financial cannot be used in Michigan and if I opt to use it I will have to take my delivery in Chicago or Cleveland. Any thoughts on this?

Anyone in Chicago that’s taken delivery know if they give you the actual license plates when you pick up, or still have to deal with the temp plates? Separately, do they stick the gross 3M backed front license plate holder on or give you the option to install a different one? Thanks!

Hello, has anybody done an interest rate rematch with Tesla in Michigan? My SA said tesla financial cannot be used in Michigan and if I opt to use it I will have to take my delivery in Chicago or Cleveland. Any thoughts on this?
Funny, last year when I took delivery of my M3 in Chicago, Tesla said I couldn't finance through them because it's based on state of residence and not where you take delivery. Maybe things changed? Currently going through DCU for my MY soon to be delivered mid Oct (got my MVPA 2 days ago).

Anyone in Chicago that’s taken delivery know if they give you the actual license plates when you pick up, or still have to deal with the temp plates? Separately, do they stick the gross 3M backed front license plate holder on or give you the option to install a different one? Thanks!
Last year, my M3 pickup from Chicago Highland Parks had temp paper plate stuck on rear window (could be different if you reside in IL instead of WI, since WI residents have to title and register their Teslas themselves through DMV)

Also The front 3M license plate holder was not stuck on (they put it in the trunk and I guess leave it to owners to do if they want)

We'll see in 1-2 weeks if Chicago Highland still does/doesn't do some things...Also nice to see this morning that Tesla has increased their prices again (After taking delivery, I think I could literally turn around and make a profit if I want to)

Reactions: dfiz1
I get that going through Tesla Financing makes everything more centralized...but there are better deals out there (for us folks that don't reside in the Tesla-friendly states AND the confirmed rumor that Tesla doesn't rate match anymore)

With all the resources online, I was able to open a DCU account over the past weekend and get approved for 1.24% (EV and plus member discount) for 65 months in around 2 business days (basically open the bank account, submit loan application, send them the MVPA, call them up, and they go over the terms and whatever with you). They didn't even ask for check stubs for the loan application, just asked a ballpark gross salary and did a hard credit pull (780+...so your experience will be different depending on your CS).

The weird thing is that you just have to wait until you know you're very close to delivery (have MVPA and know that delivery may be within 1-3 weeks) since the CS person will ask you then and there during phone call when you want to start payment on the loan (they give you a 60 day window or so to pick a day and they'll pull the payment on that day every month)

The check is on the way through overnight fedex mail

That variable rate feature (discount) explains what the plus member discount entails you to do to receive that discount.

variable rate.jpg

Last edited:
I get that going through Tesla Financing makes everything more centralized...but there are better deals out there (for us folks that don't reside in the Tesla-friendly states AND the confirmed rumor that Tesla doesn't rate match anymore)

With all the resources online, I was able to open a DCU account over the past weekend and get approved for 1.24% (EV and plus member discount) for 65 months in around 2 business days (basically open the bank account, submit loan application, send them the MVPA, call them up, and they go over the terms and whatever with you). They didn't even ask for check stubs for the loan application, just asked a ballpark gross salary and did a hard credit pull (780+...so your experience will be different depending on your CS).

The weird thing is that you just have to wait until you know you're very close to delivery (have MVPA and know that delivery may be within 1-3 weeks) since the CS person will ask you then and there during phone call when you want to start payment on the loan (they give you a 60 day window or so to pick a day and they'll pull the payment on that day every month)

The check is on the way through overnight fedex mail

That variable rate feature (discount) explains what the plus member discount entails you to do to receive that discount.

View attachment 718896
Thank you this was super helpful. I already have done the first steps a couple of months ago and just waiting to apply for a loan once I have a VIN from Tesla. Meanwhile the wait has turned into a good deal so far as I'm preapproved for 50K loan from DCU at 1.495 which I belive can come down to 1.240% once I show the Tesla MVPA. I guess at this point my EDD shows 11/26-12-06. So, wait 3-4 weeks before applying?

Ordered MYLR on 5/24 for pick-up in MI, financing through Alliant. Nothing extra but a coat of grey paint.

Kept getting bumped back but stayed steady for Oct. Now shows Mar-Apr... At this point, I'm about to give up. Called and they said that this is part of the "Tesla experience" and they don't see anything wrong with the order. I'm just so upset, especially since they claimed that we would be able to take delivery of our car "in a few weeks" when we placed the order in-store.