Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Might need to sell question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A possible relocation might make me sell my 2015 70D. I bought this in June, have already gotten the CA rebate of $2500. Haven't filed 2015 taxes yet so haven't filed for the $7500 rebate.

What if I sell before filing taxes? Will new owner be able to file for the rebate? What if I file taxes, but haven't gotten rebate and then sell?

Not a tax accountant, but based on reading several posts on the subject relating to this. Once the car is titled to someone, it's a used car and the subsequent owner technically cannot file for the rebate. That being said, I remember some paranoia in the early days about posting one's VIN in the fear that someone could commit fraud by filing for the Federal tax rebate with someone else's VIN.

A possible relocation might make me sell my 2015 70D. I bought this in June, have already gotten the CA rebate of $2500. Haven't filed 2015 taxes yet so haven't filed for the $7500 rebate.

What if I sell before filing taxes? Will new owner be able to file for the rebate? What if I file taxes, but haven't gotten rebate and then sell?

You can still file and get the rebate, even if you sell the car before taxes for the year are actually filed. You get the rebate on the "purchase of an EV" thus you completed that action and there is no stipulation in the law about length of ownership, sale year, etc. It only allows for the original purchaser to file and obtain the rebate. You'll be fine.

Might be moving to Long Island, NY and live in an apartment building first. The Supercharger network is woefully lacking in NY.

I've done my share of cavorting around the Mid-Atlantic and New England states. I'd agree that the supercharging network isn't as robust as as the built-up CA options, but I wouldn't describe the situation as woefully lacking. It's never been a constraining factor for any of my travels. I think you would have more issues with the parking/charging options for an apartment.

You might want to start a thread in the Mid-Atlantic forum soliciting advice from NY apartment dwellers. I don't think my first reaction to your situation would be to sell the car.

I grew up in LI too and I would have said something far worse.... Regional digs represent some of the last unprotected banter we are allowed to have. And as a general rule, SF is considered a nicer place to live than LI. That is just a fact.

Because of the CA rebate, you might do better to sell somewhere else.

I grew up on LI and now live in Westchester. The supercharger network is not as robust as CA but more than adequate. You should be able to travel anywhere you want easily. Your bigger concern would be daily charging but I'm certain you can find a building that would accomodate you with at least a Level 1 outlet. In addition, check plug share the public network is growing quickly.

As others have said, simply claim the deduction on your taxes this year. You purchased the vehicle which is all that is required. If you're marketing the car as being able to claim the tax deduction and want that to go to the new owner, then simply make a deal to either reduce the price of the car by $7,500 or that you'll refund the new owner once you get your refund.

The California tax rebate is another issue as they do have a specific provision that you have to keep the car for at least 2 years. Not sure how they monitor that. I guess just wait for a notice in the mail that you owe them $2,500 and pay it when/if it comes.