Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mile overage charges at end of lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Getting ready to finalize lease on my new MS and was wondering if anyone knew how Tesla handles end of lease mileage overages?

I know with mr previous car (BMW) they were willing to waive any penalties ifni was willing to lease a new BMW.

Anyone see anything similar with Tesla?

Never tried with Tesla, but most I have done in the past will wave with release... also if you prepay for miles they are a fraction of the cost of paying afterwords. So if you think you will do 15-18k miles a year prepay the lease upfront on the miles as it is way cheaper than when you turn it in.

Not only did Tesla not offer pre-paid miles but when I leased my S it was cheaper to lease with the lowest mileage option and just go over on miles and pay at the end of the lease than it was to pay for the 15,000 mile/ year lease. With my estimated mileage per year it worked out to $600 or so savings over the 2 year lease by going with 10,000 miles per year and just paying them the .25 cents per mile overage fee at the end of the lease.

The only lease mileage options they offered were 10,000 and 15,000 miles per year.

They are obviously much more interested in you buying the car and owning all of the associated risk. That made us pretty nervous and talked is into eating their crappy terms and leasing anyway.

You can ask them. Yes some dealers (other brands) may be willing to forgive a little if you lease another car of that brand, but if you are a lot of miles over, prepared to pay the charge.

Overage charges is one of the biggest ways to make money... Maybe you can get Tesla to forgive a couple thousand overage miles?

Im 14K miles over my lease in my first year.... Think they will forgive that? Ha. Im screwed.....

Same, I've has my S for 7 months and just hit my first 10k.... I'm on track to almost double the mileage....

So, I initially want the 15k a year and they messed up the paperwork on delivery day, it said 10k.

I just came looking here to try and confirm it's 25¢ a mile for overage, which, whatever - I'm already paying 2k a month, may as well get the most out of it.

Just got our $3000 plus bill today from Tesla Finance for mileage overage. Has anyone had their mileage waived through Tesla Finance? They say they cannot do it.
Not that I’ve heard of
They won’t even budge on the residual

I’m way over the miles, but I knew I would be at the start of the lease. I still leased because I wasn’t sure how the reliability would be after a few years and didn’t want to be stuck with an unreliable vehicle that costs 50k+. That would be damn near impossible to sell, so I figured I’d lease and if the car ends up being junk then I’m not stuck with it

Reactions: BBone and darxsys