Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles on a charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a long range Tesla Model 3. When it is fully charged in my garage (220v outlet), it reads 268 miles of charge. However, I've seen the car promoted by Tesla as having a range of 310 miles. Does anyone else have this issue?

When we fully charge in prep for a road trip we are around 308 indicated miles. 268 @ 100% seems way off. How many miles do you have on the car? If you JUST got it the calculations could be factoring higher than average Wh/mi numbers to come up with that number. For example, if someone picked up the car and drove aggressively on the way home the Wh/mi number would be artificially high and may cause the car to report a lower than normal range. Make sense?

If you have had the car for more than a week or so I would call support.

When we fully charge in prep for a road trip we are around 308 indicated miles. 268 @ 100% seems way off. How many miles do you have on the car? If you JUST got it the calculations could be factoring higher than average Wh/mi numbers to come up with that number. For example, if someone picked up the car and drove aggressively on the way home the Wh/mi number would be artificially high and may cause the car to report a lower than normal range. Make sense?.
No that does not make sense. Once again, and hopefully for the last time, RATED RANGE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVING HISTORY. It’s the EPA rated range. Period. Full stop.

Apparently the OP doesn’t have his charge limit set at 100%. That’s the only explanation.

That could be. @OP, can you post a pic of the charge screen and indicated range?

I don't have a picture, but on the left, select the lightning bolt to show the battery information. You'll see a line that shows the max charge limit. Hit change limit to change it.
You can also do the same thing on your phone.

Generally, leave at 80-90%, but feel free to increase to 100% for trips.

I don't have a picture, but on the left, select the lightning bolt to show the battery information. You'll see a line that shows the max charge limit. Hit change limit to change it.
You can also do the same thing on your phone.

Generally, leave at 80-90%, but feel free to increase to 100% for trips.

I have attached a picture of the charge screen in the car. The little white arrow on the right of the battery indicates my desired charge level is 100% and the current state of charge is 23%. This should illustrate what ewoodrick is describing.

. Model3ChargeLimit.jpg

I just purchased a long range Tesla Model 3. When it is fully charged in my garage (220v outlet), it reads 268 miles of charge. However, I've seen the car promoted by Tesla as having a range of 310 miles. Does anyone else have this issue?
Most likely you are charging to the default limit of 80%. This correlates to ~335 miles, which seems to be the actual (but not official) range, based on the unadjusted numbers from the EPA filing. Tesla voluntarily lowered the range to 310. Note, this 335 mile range only applies to the RWD with LR battery. The 3D and P3D (dual motors weigh more and sticky performance tires also hurt efficiency) get pretty close to the rated 310 miles.

Most likely you are charging to the default limit of 80%. This correlates to ~335 miles, which seems to be the actual (but not official) range, based on the unadjusted numbers from the EPA filing. Tesla voluntarily lowered the range to 310. Note, this 335 mile range only applies to the RWD with LR battery. The 3D and P3D (dual motors weigh more and sticky performance tires also hurt efficiency) get pretty close to the rated 310 miles.

Hmmm I charge to 80% and it gives me 248 miles which is 80% of 310.

No that does not make sense. Once again, and hopefully for the last time, RATED RANGE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVING HISTORY. It’s the EPA rated range. Period. Full stop.

Stick to the wh/mi. for your model. My model S has the EPA range of 265 miles based on 295 wh/mi. You need to know that number for your car. It's on this forum somewhere. If I am consuming more than rated wh/mi., then I know the rated miles will not be true. Many factors effect the wh/mi. But Tesla provides great ways to monitor that.

Heading up the freeway at 80 mph, but with a 20 mph headwind, my wh/mi was horrible. By monitoring it, i adjusted my speed and driving to make it to the next SuperCharger. (Okay, I drafted a bus)

There is no such thing as a “default limit” of 80%.

When I picked up my car the service center specifically told me they 'took it up to 90%' as I'd requested--it was a long drive home. They said they 'normally' did 80%. So, perhaps not an official default but it sounds like the service centers had a setting they typically use. Of course this is my personal n=1 anecdote!

Glad I had the extra 10% too as my trip ended up re-routing due to a big interstate accident. Naturally this was not a problem but my anxiety would have been up there as it was a non-supercharger route and I'd never driven that way before. My normal route has a couple superchargers, not that I've ever needed them.

In any case I'd suspect the OP has his charging bar set to around 85%. Definitely something to check on. It would be nice if s/he updates...inquiring minds want to know!