Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% range on new Model Y LR with 3 miles on it calculates to 301 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you need to charge to 100% for a trip I don't suggest trying to do it just to see what the car is going to read. It's really a waste of time and Tesla FI is pulling the data for you straight from the BMS.
Yes, no need to do that. Just try to make use of the fractional SOC % on the driving page or whatever it is (one of those pages gives a useful number, e.g. 57.7% or whatever). Then use the energy consumption screen method, divide by that %.

That method will get you to the degradation threshold, which is known for these vehicles.

For some reason TeslaFi tends to have ridiculously high noise on their numbers. They should be just as good as the car but for some reason they may not be. Anyway they certainly can’t do any better than someone sitting in the car can do.

CAN bus stuff can give more info of course.

Last edited:
In TeslaFi when looking at Battery Report is allows the user to look at all the Fleet Battery Data that it's using to compare your car with others. When comparing the 70 plus other cars that I can see with the same range (1800 ish) there is two distinct ranges that all the cars fall into. About 15 cars by Vin are showing between 283-285 and all the other by Vin showing between 300-303 Estimated Range at 100% This is just showing 2024 Model Y's.

Once again the range isn't bothering me it's just an interesting fact that I'm seeing.
I wonder if people using referral credits to purchase acceleration boost could be the 15 cars. I have acceleration boost and I am showing 285 via Tessie and saw the same amount after calibrating my battery.

I wonder if people using referral credits to purchase acceleration boost could be the 15 cars. I have acceleration boost and I am showing 285 via Tessie and saw the same amount after calibrating my battery.
Should just be able to change your wheel selection in the menu. For whatever reason Tesla has decided on this vehicle to have that change the displayed range. (On many vehicles over the last 5-6 years it has made no differences, though there have been exceptions in the case of EPA tests being done...in this case there appear to not be supporting tests.)

In any case it's of no consequence - it just represents the same quantity, but with a different scaling - just determine what your available energy is, using the widely publicized and easy, well-known method - that's all that matters.

The specs on Tesla website for the 2024 MYLR with 20” wheels show 292 miles avg. My 2021 MYLR with 20” wheels has 299 miles calculated .. down from 312 miles calculated when I got the car in late 2021. I am driving in warm/hot weather conditions.. mix of charging at home and SuperChargers.

We just got back from a road trip and accidentally left charge bar at 100%
Instead of getting 460KM I only got 442KM
Should I be concerned? I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to charging, capacities, conditioning etc.

I woke up to this notification this morning. I thought it was a nightmare 😉

IMG_3117.jpeg

Garage temps last night were about 10 Celsius, which isn’t exactly warm, but other times I’ve charged throughout the winter in the garage. It’s hit 460 every time.
Maybe it’s just a one off lower charge?

Probably nothing to worry about. What do you think?

PS If I have a better year this year we may upgrade to the new performance “Juniper” if it ever arrives, so it may be a moot point. I’m really hoping for a 600HP competitor to the Macan turbo EV with a nicer suspension to match. Hey, I’m allowed to dream aren’t I?!

Reactions: CoolBuddy
Should I be concerned? I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to charging, capacities, conditioning etc.

View attachment 1036368

Garage temps last night were about 10 Celsius, which isn’t exactly warm, but other times I’ve charged throughout the winter in the garage. It’s hit 460 every time.

PS If I have a better year this year we may upgrade to the new performance “Juniper” if it ever arrives, so it may be a moot point. I’m really hoping for a 600HP competitor to the Macan turbo EV with a nicer suspension to match. Hey, I’m allowed to dream aren’t I?!

I merged this into this thread since its the same basic discussion.

Reactions: easyev
First, I want to mention that I suspect this range mismatch with EPA is probably not an issue as N..8 has pointed out that TeslaFi models used to compare to their car and for me, the 5 models used to compare to mine, all show similar ranges. Also, I haven't seen any responses yet showing 310 mile range when new for the 2024 models. I think this is likely the norm and if someone buys a new 2024 with an estimated range of 310 miles, I believe now that it would be the exception. This would imply it is NOT a battery issue or maybe not even a BMS issue, but probably a change in the way Tesla adds buffer to ensure users don't go to actual zero and maybe even to prevent charges of NMC batteries to a full 100%.

Again, just check the energy. That’s what matters.
The energy screen only shows range based on driving habits. The concern in this thread was that when new, the range shown on the main driving pane should showed the rated mileage for the region. So in the US, 100% should show 310 miles, and if you set the charge screen to 100%, it should show 310 mile limit. Instead, with 3 miles on it, it calculated to 301 miles for me and when charging to 100% to test showed 304 miles. Once you know the battery when new is healthy, switch to percentage and just get estimates based on trip calculations and you are golden. On my previous car, I bought it from someone who really babied it and it was at the full rated range 6 months and 4600 miles after purchase (310 miles on the 2018 Model 3 Performance). I was expecting 310 miles here since the EPA range was rated for 310 miles on my model (Model Y Long Range). This is what set my expectation.

With all that said, see my above statement as I think it is something Tesla is probably doing with all new Model Ys. If it was isolated to a few, I think there would be cause for concern, but with everyone seemingly experiencing this range, it is probably the norm rather than the exception and I'm comfortable with the fact it starts with 301-304 miles.

For reference, my car had 3 miles on 26-Mar-2024 and as of 08-Apr-2024 it has 851 miles. Here are my Enhauto Commander Stats - Battery page:

Nominal when New = 82.1
Nominal when Full = 79.1 (just 0.62% lower than yours)
Remaining Capacity = 49.0 (drive screen on my car shows 60% currently)
Energy Buffer = 3.6
Degradation = 3.63
Cell Imbalance = 10.0

I got this commander transferred over to the Model Y at about 300 miles (I think) and the numbers are the same as then. It looks like they calculated degradation based on (Nominal when New - Nominal when Full)/Nominal when New *100%, but with the range estimate being close to what it was when new, Nominal when New was never actually 82.1, so I'm not sure if that is a reading from the car itself. If the buffer listed was 3, that would explain it, but if you add the buffer to the Full value it is greater than the New value. (shrug emoji)

Tesla Spy sounded interesting, but it looks like they no longer support Android - no reference in Google Play. :(

The energy screen only shows range based on driving habits.
I did not say anything about range - use the method. Should give around 79.5kWh.

Note the caveats.

Since you are using CAN bus it does not matter - you do not need this method.

82.1kWh is a hard-coded value from the pack. Not reflective of your actual new pack capacity. Same for all packs of a given type.

The buffer is included in Nominal.

The degradation calculation is incorrect since it uses the wrong initial value.

Last edited:

View attachment 1036368

OK, must’ve just been an anomaly. I charged 100% today to test and got 460Km, perfect! Nothing to worry about and thanks for the replies, telling me that was the case.

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpeg
    IMG_3206.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 5
When I got 2023 Model 3 RWD, it showed 273 miles of range when charged to 100% while 272 miles was claimed on paper.
Now I just picked up 2024 Model Y for my wife.
Tesla reduced range to 310 from 330 and it only charged 80% when I picked it up
I just charged to 80% at home for first time and I noticed it only brings 242 miles of range.
with simple calculation, it brings total range to 304 at 100%
so I am charging to 100% to see total range.
My car only has 230 miles on odometer and now it only shows 304 miles at 100%
What is wrong with my brand new car?

Range indication is only an estimate, based on various parammeters, such as your previous driving consumption.
Basically the battery stores the amount of energy added when charging and measures the amount of energy used,
to determine how much energy is left, and converts it into a range value based on previous consumption per mile.

You should balance the cells by discharging the battery and charging it again.
There are many descriptions of this process using the Tesla Service Mode.

Another approach is to charge to 100%, drive at 70 mph until 0%, and charge again.
You will get both your actual range and capacity of the battery.

There is also the App 'Scan My Tesla' that can give you the status of each cell and your overall battery degradation.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Battery temp also has a lot to do with the estimated range display. just a few degrees difference from the rated battery temp and the estimated range will be different than the rated range.

On another note, no one I know who owns a ICE car has ever questioned the rated range of the vehicle down to this level. They understand the concept of "Your mileage may vary".

The quicker you stop looking at the range and set the battery icon to show percentage, the better your peace of mind will be. No one thinks about this stuff with ICE vehicles.
This exactly. It’s so silly to me that people obsess over this. Your ICE car never hit the range it claimed. Your ICE car was impacted by the same things your EV is hit with. Wind. Elevation. Temps. All hit your ICE car. Stop obsessing over it.

What is wrong with my brand new car?
Absolutely nothing.

Seems like all the 2024 LRs are being delivered with about 304 miles of range. That’s what ours had too, many others reporting the same.

/shrug