Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini Refrigerator in MX trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cuttin

Oct 25, 2018
Nj
Hey folks. If anyone familiar please help.

So today I opened the package to a candy bar, from a box of like 50 I got at Costco, from my trunk after car sitting in sun for a few hours, I was not happy! Obviously melted and I missed the "squishy" feeling and got chocolate all over my hands.

I'm thinking. Amazon has a bunch of $50 tiny fridges. Hold 6 cans. Small but enough for a a drink or two and some snacks.
Would fit beautifully in the corner of the bottom trunk area, and plug into the outlet there.

Would make it cool on the drive to work and then shut off while at work for few hours(I don't usually spend more than few hours at a particular location) and keep somewhat cool and turn back on drive home or wherever and halfway into that drive I'd have cold drink and snack.

Anyone foresee any problems with it? Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

I'm NOT going to hardwire it as some other threads suggest. It's not gonna drain battery bc it will cut power when car off to the outlet. And the draw is miniscule while driving. Anything I'm missing?

Would fit beautifully in the corner of the bottom trunk area, and plug into the outlet there.
I missed out on knowing that an outlet is in the trunk. Curious when this was added by Tesla? It’s not in my Sept 2017 build.

As an aside, I keep this cooler in my frunk and throw in an ice pack for long trips. It has been effective at keeping things cool enough. I still fit quite a few other things in the frunk too.

Coleman 24-Can Party Stacker Portable Cooler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BMCLMU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_770DAVG5EBD09TAFMWZY?psc=1

I doubt it would work. The problem with those little 6 can coolers is that they usually just use Peltier cooling and are pretty useless at actually cooling things down.
They will keep something that is already cool, but don't have the capacity to bring warm cans down to chilly drinking temperature - and you still have to cool the hot air coming out of the fan at the back.
Even worse would be to have it get nice and toasty in a hot car - chances of it actually being cool inside a baby fridge that has been warm soaked all day are about zero. YMMV but all the little fridges I've had have been the same, just setting expectations :)

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I doubt it would work. The problem with those little 6 can coolers is that they usually just use Peltier cooling and are pretty useless at actually cooling things down.
They will keep something that is already cool, but don't have the capacity to bring warm cans down to chilly drinking temperature - and you still have to cool the hot air coming out of the fan at the back.
Even worse would be to have it get nice and toasty in a hot car - chances of it actually being cool inside a baby fridge that has been warm soaked all day are about zero. YMMV but all the little fridges I've had have been the same, just setting expectations :)

Not familiar with different fridge methods lol.

I'm gonna give it a shot.
ITs $50 and can return back to amazon if doesn't work well.

So remember. It will be fully working for 45min on way to work after a night. So it shouldn't be that hot to begin with. Should cool down somewhat. Then will sit in sun for a few hours. But I bet the insulation will keep it somewhat cool for that few hours and then will turn back on way home to chill a bit more.

Idk. I'm just SICK of paying $2.40 for a bottle on way. Sick!

Maybe I'll keep the car in camper mode during those few hours?

Too much work getting ice everyday.
As a thought - maybe try a cooler that has the fridge part built in. The insulation in those pretend fridges is pretty crappy.
[edit]
like this one? But you get the idea....