Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini update this morning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like this one: Software Update 2019.16.x
I got 2019.16.1.1 on Friday, quite soon after a previous update which is usually a sign of an update being sent to a large number of cars.

Nav directions now top right instead of top left which I like - easier to tap and enter data.
I think I read something about the music search changing too but haven't checked that yet.
There was a bug apparently causing traffic data refreshes to be done too often which particularly affected the web browser on MCU1 units - early days for me testing it but it does seem to have been fixed in 2019.16.1.1.

Some discussion about changes to Autopilot (restriction on how sharply it can turn) and Summon (needs to connect using Bluetooth) but I haven't spotted any noticeable behaviour changes on my AP1 car (only tried Autopilot on urban roads so far).

I thought that was a sign that the previous release was buggy, so folk with that release are prioritised for next, "repair", release ... but understanding the "why" of Update Rollouts is a Dark Art of course ...
Yes it feels like that - an update within 3 weeks is pretty quick turnaround. In this case I was updated from 2019.12.1.1 which reached a pretty high proportion of AP1 cars according to TeslaFi, so that's potentially a lot of buggy cars that need a correction!

In my case, it caused one of the interior lights to get stuck on. Cured with a reboot as usual - never been clear why they can't achieve that as part of the upgrade. Perhaps people don't grumble enough.
Curios isn't it? One would have thought adding a final line of code saying "now reboot" would be standard for all updates. But my knowledge of coding is very dated, 90% self-taught, and only extends to the occasional spreadsheet macro these days...

Cured with a reboot as usual - never been clear why they can't achieve that as part of the upgrade

I mentioned that to someone (not this forum) and they said that Tesla update does do that ... no idea if they are right, of course, but I wonder if there could be any possible explanation for a "reboot a bit later" being able to cure something more/different? With my Software Engineer hat on I can't think of one .. but I'm also struggling to think of why Tesla would NOT do that ... so maybe there do AND there is some benefit in doing a second, a bit later.

Rebooting in the middle of a charge / whatever might (on rare occasions) be annoying to Punter, so perhaps they would shy way from doing a Reboot prophylactically in normal usage, but at the end of an update the car is unusable anyway, and even if just prophylactic then surely must be worth doing just so that at the very least "it has been done recently"

Reactions: arg
Just my own opinion but.... 19.12.1.1 has to be the worse update I’ve ever had, started with issues charging then car took a while to wake up then it finally died and had to be towed away :( let’s hope 16 is more stable

I’m a massive fan of regular updates and I actually accept some level of bugs due to rate of updates but an update that bricks your car is a little much :(

19.12.1.1 has to be the worse update I’ve ever had

The bug-list thread is 30 pages ... worst I've ever seen (that I can remember) and a great definition of why NOT to do "Just ship it and sort it later" and instead put some proper, old fashioned, QA in place from root-to-branch of development-to-deployment

Software Update 2019.12.x

I actually accept some level of bugs

You shouldn't. Next time they might kill someone ...

there isn't any excuse for sloppy QA, we are a tiny software company and the software we ship is virtually bug free, and we certainly don't ship stuff with regression errors or "easily found during even the most rudimentary testing" bugs.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
Sounds like this one: Software Update 2019.16.x
I got 2019.16.1.1 on Friday, quite soon after a previous update which is usually a sign of an update being sent to a large number of cars.

Nav directions now top right instead of top left which I like - easier to tap and enter data.
I think I read something about the music search changing too but haven't checked that yet.
There was a bug apparently causing traffic data refreshes to be done too often which particularly affected the web browser on MCU1 units - early days for me testing it but it does seem to have been fixed in 2019.16.1.1.

Some discussion about changes to Autopilot (restriction on how sharply it can turn) and Summon (needs to connect using Bluetooth) but I haven't spotted any noticeable behaviour changes on my AP1 car (only tried Autopilot on urban roads so far).

IMG_20190520_224934.jpg

Yes it was 2019.16.1.1