Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minimum comfortable garage size for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. I’d get annoyed really quick hearing the car constantly beeping as I parked each day.. but gotta do what you gotta do, lol

Cool sensor you got installed, I presume it’s more accurate than the sensors in the car? (Hence why you use it with the 3)

Yes it’s more accurate because the Model 3 only counts down to 12 inches and says “STOP”. If I stopped then the garage door would close on the car (unless I moved the garage door close sensor up a foot or two so it sees the bumper. At that point the door would just go back up of course).

Anyway, with the thingy on the wall it will count down to 1 inch. Makes parking a breeze.

Makes me wonder if FSD will ever work with the camera and sensors we currently have - if the car doesn’t like being closer than a whole foot... In tight quarters in major metro areas I get way closer than a foot at times to cars and obstacles when squeezing around.

Reactions: BrakeDome
Yes it’s more accurate because the Model 3 only counts down to 12 inches and says “STOP”. If I stopped then the garage door would close on the car (unless I moved the garage door close sensor up a foot or two so it sees the bumper. At that point the door would just go back up of course).

Anyway, with the thingy on the wall it will count down to 1 inch. Makes parking a breeze.

Makes me wonder if FSD will ever work with the camera and sensors we currently have - if the car doesn’t like being closer than a whole foot... In tight quarters in major metro areas I get way closer than a foot at times to cars and obstacles when squeezing around.
Where did you get that set up? I use the old fashioned tennis ball on a string, but would like to switch to something like that.

You can always buy 2 Solid Rubber Wheel Chock at HarborFreight ($5 each when is on sale), it should work the same.

I don't want a trip hazard in my garage when my car isn't in it, and my experience with chocks is unless they're drilled into the concrete - the adhesive always gives up the ghost and the chock slips. Last time that happened in my old house, my friend put a hole in my garage wall with his car. THAT was fun.

My model 3 has to be driven in such that the right side mirror just misses a row of cabinets/shelves. I put a piece of pipe insulation foam sticking out right near the garage entrance. If my right side mirror just brushes this, then I'm perfectly aligned. If I miss hitting it then my driver door is going to be difficult to get out of (stuff on other side). If I brush against the pipe foam too much I need to back out and try again else I might brush a cabinet.
Once in about the right spot there is a bar on a paper taped to a cabinet showing me where my mirror must be. There is a range of about 3-5 inches. Within this range I still have about 6-8 inches in back and 15" in front to walk around the car.

After a year of parking my human neural net is trained such that I get it right 99% of the time

Required garage size = Number of cars in family + 1. If the tesla is the only car in the household, you can get by with a 2 car garage. If you have 2 cars, you "need" a 3 car garage. The model 3 does not physically occupy a ton on space, but it deserves some breathing room.

Plus you need somewhere to put lawnmowers/bikes/boats, etc.

Required garage size = Number of cars in family + 1. If the tesla is the only car in the household, you can get by with a 2 car garage. If you have 2 cars, you "need" a 3 car garage. The model 3 does not physically occupy a ton on space, but it deserves some breathing room.

Plus you need somewhere to put lawnmowers/bikes/boats, etc.

That sounds like a generalization if I ever heard one. Plenty of people park two cars in a 2-car garage. You don’t “need” a 3-car garage. My neighbors have an Audi Q3 and a new S4 in their 2-car garage.

Reactions: Dana1
That sounds like a generalization if I ever heard one. Plenty of people park two cars in a 2-car garage. You don’t “need” a 3-car garage. My neighbors have an Audi Q3 and a new S4 in their 2-car garage.
And one of the pictures in this thread shows 3 cars in a 2 car garage. You could also just park in the driveway or on the street. So yea it is possible to get by with less.

But I'm sticking with my assertion that the car deserves some breathing room.

And one of the pictures in this thread shows 3 cars in a 2 car garage. You could also just park in the driveway or on the street. So yea it is possible to get by with less.

But I'm sticking with my assertion that the car deserves some breathing room.

Na, you're not reasonably fitting 3 regular-sized cars in a 2-car garage. You can, however, fit 2 regular cars in a 2-car garage.