Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minimum comfortable garage size for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a (pre-AP) Model S that fits reasonably well in my garage space. I can get through the eight-foot garage door pretty easily by watching my mirror clearance, and with a relatively unobstructed 12-foot-by-19-foot space I can walk around the entire car, access the frunk and hatch, and usually (and carefully) open all the doors wide without hitting the wall. Has anyone offered minimum comfortable dimensions for the Model 3? I would think that it could fit in a slightly smaller space if necessary....perhaps its doors don't swing as wide? Maybe 11' x 18'?

If you can fit an S, you'd be just fine.

I have a 3, but Tesla gave me a loaner S when my car was in for service once. It was a much tighter squeeze in my pretty large garage than my 3 is. It fit, but not nearly as comfortably, while the 3 has loads of room to spare on all sides.

Wow....the City of Seattle considers sixteen feet an adequate garage depth?!?

I'm designing a garage narrower than what I have now, which I at least want to future-proof for a Model 3....sounds like 10.5 feet is a little tight for width, but maybe 11.5 feet will be fine.
All of this stuff is opinion of course but I’d give the garage a few extra inches. There’s always “stuff” like recycling bins. And, while Summon is usually awesome, it would suck to have a Summon strike and a broke leg without enough room to get into the car. Then there’s resale issues for those who aren’t enlightened and look critically at a weirdly small garage.

Wow....the City of Seattle considers sixteen feet an adequate garage depth?!?

Yep it does.
2sPDx9mLQm6kfzbg77fuDw.jpg
ihYC+4JQTRaMtIFlGt1skw.jpg

It's really easy, actually, since I have that thing on the wall that counts down to 1 inch from 99. So. Easy.

Thats the purpose the purpose of that device on the wall. Ever consider getting foam as well just in case?

When i park in my garage, i would at times turn on rearview camera which tells me how much space is left behind the car, this helps me judge when to stop. My Garage is 18 wide and 21 feet long. Seems i am lucky to have a good size garage.

76D325E5-7F43-4556-AD43-3D925CB6B32D.jpeg
Thats the purpose the purpose of that device on the wall. Ever consider getting foam as well just in case?

When i park in my garage, i would at times turn on rearview camera which tells me how much space is left behind the car, this helps me judge when to stop. My Garage is 18 wide and 21 feet long. Seems i am lucky to have a good size garage.
Haha!

Attachments

• 78D2AA10-F52C-4669-A135-4B47A13AF758.jpeg
    78D2AA10-F52C-4669-A135-4B47A13AF758.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 290
Reactions: boriszima

Na don’t need foam. I have a countdown on the screen on the wall. I know I need to park approximately 3 inches from the wall at minimum. It’s so easy it’s a joke.

FWIW, a Model S can be crammed into the second slot in my garage and the main doors will still close. But the door at the back wall does not have room to swing open. A Model 3 fits in easily, with room to spare front, back and to the sides.
The resulting center “aisle” between cars is a bit narrow, but you can get in and out of either one OK and even roll bikes down between the two cars. Garage footprint is approximately 20’x20’.
Robin

My garage is depth limited by the fact that there's a set of stairs in the back, with a freezer in front of that, and my model 3 still fits in, but I do get some beeping. To make sure I never go too far I found the simplest solution was to park it where I wanted it, then take a 2' 4x4 and glue it to the floor in front of the right tire. So now when I come in the car wants to stop right there, and I can also feel it make contact with the "stopper". That insures I have space in front and in back of the car. Yes, it's a cheap & dirty solution, but it requires no sensors, no electricity, no money, and no judgement - it's even "Wife-Proof!"

Reactions: RBowen