Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mirage problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving in the desert southwest recently, using FSB Beta 11.3.6, and started getting phantom braking off and on in clear weather, no cars in sight. My only guess is that I was seeing 'mirages' of water on the road ahead, which may fool Tessie. While it was occurring, the only solution I could find was to disable cruise control, which is annoying.

Reactions: AtomicD0G

I had this "mirage" problem on a recent trip through southwest deserts from Phoenix to Lake Tahoe and back again with FSD 11.3.6. Whenever the surface of the roadway appeared glassy in the distance, I began having phantom braking events and could anticipate one whenever I saw a mirage. The angle of the sun and the pavement type seemed to be major determinants of the events. I note that event frequency is significantly less in urban areas and doesn't occur at night where such sun reflections don't occur. There were also more events on darker pavements probably due to the visual contrast with the "mirage". I wonder whether HW4 with its higher resolution front cameras will help reduce phantom braking by "seeing through" these mirages.

I have been driving in the desert southwest recently, using FSB Beta 11.3.6, and started getting phantom braking off and on in clear weather, no cars in sight. My only guess is that I was seeing 'mirages' of water on the road ahead, which may fool Tessie. While it was occurring, the only solution I could find was to disable cruise control, which is annoying.
Do the same road when it is cloudy and no mirages. See if it behaves the same.

I've also experienced recent phantom breaking while driving on the freeway with visible mirages (running FSD 12.3.3, so still the V11 stack on the freeway). Definitely only happens when there are visible mirages, and not when it's at night, cloudy, etc.

Reactions: enemji