Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MirrorLink: seamless connectivity between a smartphone and the car infotainment sys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the technology Tesla should incorporate into its cars. It allows smartphones (and their developers) to do the heavy-lifting when it comes to app development, basically turning the in-car LCD screen into a pass-through emulator of your existing smart phone. You get access to the apps you already use on your smartphone without the need to learn a different app (or, more importantly, wait for the car manufacturer to add functionality).

This would be perfect for Tesla to offer as an option.

========

Mobile devices such as smartphones have given consumers access to a growing number of indispensable applications anytime anywhere. However, in a car these applications are no longer available– using a smartphone while driving is not possible and even the most advanced car systems cannot match the breadth of smartphone functionality.
MirrorLink™ (previously known as Terminal Mode) solves this problem by offering seamless connectivity between a smartphone and the car infotainment system. The consumer merely gets into the car (1), connects the phone with a cable (2), and immediately gains access to phone applications through car controls such as the navigation screen and steering wheel buttons (3).
In other words, by allowing consumers to access their smartphone in the same way they access their car radio MirrorLink™ allows consumers to use their smartphones safely and simply, keeping eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

MirrorLink | MirrorLink Technology

connects the phone with a cable

And there's the problem. I can't count the number of cables I've destroyed because I forget there's a cable connected to the phone. This isn't so much a problem in summer, but in winter I wear a coat and don't feel the tug of the cable when I get out. Any solution like this needs to be wireless--and they already have BT.