Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mis-matched front tires on 'CPO' P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After many years of watching Tesla I have pulled the trigger on a used P85D and am waiting for shipping confirmation. The car is currently in San Fran and I am getting it shipped to Denver. Excited barely covers how I feel.

Looking at the photos more closely I can see that the front tires are mis-matched. Continental Extreme Contact on the front left and a Michelin Pilot Sport on the front right.

I get that the care is used but that doesn't seem right at all to have mis-matched tires.

Has anyone experienced this and has some advice?

I will certainly bring it up upon inspection. Worst case nothing happens, best case the replace them.

Front Left.jpg
Front Right.jpg

They probably checked remaining tread depth but didn't keep track of tire make/model as they did so. It's easy to overlook. That said, you should definitely insist that they replace the front tires. At the very least, wheels sharing an axle should have the same tire and similar levels of wear. Otherwise your car is going to have inconsistent handling and steering. It's not a nice-to-have, it's a matter of safety.

Reactions: Dre78
... or just replace one front tire yourself since you're surely getting a great deal on your P85D :cool:

Think BIG PICTURE

Other option is to buy a set of lighter stronger better looking
Arachnid wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires from one of the many referral reward sellers on TMC or Craigslist... and have your Turbines refinished then sell them. That's what I did and the net cost was really low since I got brand new tires with the Arachnids... and added inexpensive Tire Certificates from America's Tire to cover free road hazard replacement (got one already). Here's the result:

IMG_4896.JPG

... or just replace one front tire yourself since you're surely getting a great deal on your P85D :cool:

Think BIG PICTURE

Other option is to buy a set of lighter stronger better looking
Arachnid wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires from one of the many referral reward sellers on TMC or Craigslist... and have your Turbines refinished then sell them. That's what I did and the net cost was really low since I got brand new tires with the Arachnids... and added inexpensive Tire Certificates from America's Tire to cover free road hazard replacement (got one already). Here's the result:

View attachment 384774

Nice wheels.

Pretty fair price I hope. Will obviously know more once I get to see the thing in the flesh.

I am going to get some 19" Rials with Michelin X-Ice tires for the rest of winter and early spring here in CO. While I have the Turbines off I was going to refurb the ones that need it and am thinking of repainting all four a darker titanium shade. Unless anyone knows of a spray paint that color matches the Turbine silver? I can only find touch up paint with a brush online.

Front tires should match for traction. Echoing what was said above, they could move the rear tires to the front, assuming they're the same tires, pressures and wear.

Source: https://www.discounttire.com/learn/mixing-tires

When I blew the passenger-front sidewall on a pothole, Costco mounted the new tire on the rear for this reason.

The wheels are staggered so I can't move the rears to the front. Will just ensure they at least put two new ones on up front.

Last edited:
  • Informative