Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mismatched Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone I’m new to Tesla Motors Club. I came here in search of answer to why my headlights look as if they are mismatched. I purchased the car as a CPO (2016 late December) from Tesla last September, I’ve never seen this until today but one is different from the other.

I know that the PUP comes with adaptive headlights with the small top part of the light with leds and the non PUP with a mirror like finish. But apparently in my car, the drivers side has a mirror finish and the on the other you can see the leds.

If they are mismatched, will Tesla replace them without having me to pay?

Here’s the passenger side-
view

And here’s the drivers side-
view

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program nearly 2 years ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim.

It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything, ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing. That last part is SUPER important especially when dealing with Tesla. Do NOT trust them at their word with promises.

At this point, you can try to get Tesla to correct it at no cost to you but don't be surprised when they tell you that it's not covered under the manufacturer's warranty unless it's a known issue (which it could be, your pics didn't load and it's difficult to tell from your description).

This is a prime example of something people might pay more attention to if we stop perpetuating this falsehood that Tesla still sells CPO cars since most CPO programs would take care of that post-sale. Not Tesla unless you catch a Service Manager on a good day who's willing to goodwill it for you.

It looks like your first photo is the three position dynamic turning light and the second is the one without although I don't remember it having such a mirror look to it. Have you tried it out to see if the lights change when you turn the wheel?

I took off all of the plastic covers off of the Frunk and found out that they were mismatched!

One of the stickers for the part number says Manufactured 21/2019 and the other says 2016!

What should I do now?

Tell Tesla to replace it since it’s under warranty?

It really doesn’t bother me, but It just feels disappointing and weird that such an expensive car could have mismatched headlights

694CD90F-F809-433D-B8CA-64A943AB9109.jpeg

Here is the driver’s side
You can’t really see that it says 2016 but it’s there!
BC8C78AA-52B0-4E63-85FA-1D0CA8827C74.jpeg

I took off all of the plastic covers off of the Frunk and found out that they were mismatched!

One of the stickers for the part number says Manufactured 21/2019 and the other says 2016!

What should I do now?

Tell Tesla to replace it since it’s under warranty?

It really doesn’t bother me, but It just feels disappointing and weird that such an expensive car could have mismatched headlights

View attachment 640118

Here is the driver’s side
You can’t really see that it says 2016 but it’s there!
View attachment 640119
The easiest explanation is that one of the previous headlights was replaced under warranty with a newer production model. Most likely defect could have been DRL yellowing or completely stopped working.

Manufacturer's warranties are for defects. What's defective about either of the headlights? If nothing, see post #3 above. This is something better negotiated before you took delivery. Now you're at their mercy with what can be summarized as a cosmetic issue.

Reactions: Falcon20
The easiest explanation is that one of the previous headlights was replaced under warranty with a newer production model. Most likely defect could have been DRL yellowing or completely stopped working.

Manufacturer's warranties are for defects. What's defective about either of the headlights? If nothing, see post #3 above. This is something better negotiated before you took delivery. Now you're at their mercy with what can be summarized as a cosmetic issue.

Yep... probably the DRLs

As I said in my post above, it really doesn’t bother me.. just cosmetic

By the way, thanks for the CPO Explanation... helps clarify the post

Reactions: Ostrichsak