Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mismatched tires on CPO 90D X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have reserved a 2016 CPO 90D X and the pictures show the front tires are Continental and the rear tires are Nexen. I wanted to get some opinions as to how hard I should push on Tesla to get matching tires on it before I buy it. I've heard with AWD vehicles you want to keep the tires the same and as close to the same tread as possible but I'm not sure if this is still important with a Tesla or not.

The rear tires wear out faster on Tesla because the rear motor is much more powerful. So the original owner probably replaced the rear 2 tires. And I don't think Tesla is going to put 2 new rear tires on the car before selling it. If you have the model # on the Nexen, you could do some research and see if the weight, speed, or other spec are not up to par for the Model X, then you will have a better chance for them to replace the tires to the Continental which is OEM.

The rear tires wear out faster on Tesla because the rear motor is much more powerful. So the original owner probably replaced the rear 2 tires. And I don't think Tesla is going to put 2 new rear tires on the car before selling it. If you have the model # on the Nexen, you could do some research and see if the weight, speed, or other spec are not up to par for the Model X, then you will have a better chance for them to replace the tires to the Continental which is OEM.
I can confirm the rear wear faster for that reason. Who is Nexen?

It's not mismatched tire brands that causes a problem.
It's mismatched tire characteristics.
This can occur even within the same brand as most brands sell numerous tires at different price points.
And during dry warm days going regular speed with regular acceleration and braking you will probably never recognize different tire characteristics.

It becomes more apparent when
It rains
It snows
Emergency braking
Faster than expected lane change
Etc

Tires are a consumable and meant to be changed.
Budget this used car with intent of new tires
Plan on changing the tires out if you experience poor traction in adverse conditions as above.

Reactions: MP3Mike