TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Mismatched tires on CPO 90D X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tnixa, Oct 16, 2019.

1. tnixa

tnixa Member

I have reserved a 2016 CPO 90D X and the pictures show the front tires are Continental and the rear tires are Nexen. I wanted to get some opinions as to how hard I should push on Tesla to get matching tires on it before I buy it. I've heard with AWD vehicles you want to keep the tires the same and as close to the same tread as possible but I'm not sure if this is still important with a Tesla or not.

2. Need

Need Active Member

The rear tires wear out faster on Tesla because the rear motor is much more powerful. So the original owner probably replaced the rear 2 tires. And I don't think Tesla is going to put 2 new rear tires on the car before selling it. If you have the model # on the Nexen, you could do some research and see if the weight, speed, or other spec are not up to par for the Model X, then you will have a better chance for them to replace the tires to the Continental which is OEM.

3. Kenx008

Kenx008 Member

If you can clearly see it mismatched in photos than they most likely won't do anything. It's what you see is what you get for the most part on their CPO. If it's less than 4mm than you could push for a for a change.

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take it with mismatched tires. People have reported weird driving characteristics when they have done that before.

5. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Active Member

I can confirm the rear wear faster for that reason. Who is Nexen?

6. rayfound

rayfound Member

Nexen is a budget tire manufacturer. FWIW - I had a set on my 4runner and they seemed to wear well for a long time. Not a bad tire I don't think, just not a big brand.

7. gangzoom

gangzoom Active Member

Am currently running Toyos at the front and NangKang all seasons at the back. Just drove 160 miles in horrific rain with often standing water, no issues at all.

8. balefire

balefire Member

It's not mismatched tire brands that causes a problem.
    It's mismatched tire characteristics.
    This can occur even within the same brand as most brands sell numerous tires at different price points.
    And during dry warm days going regular speed with regular acceleration and braking you will probably never recognize different tire characteristics.

It becomes more apparent when
    It rains
    It snows
    Emergency braking
    Faster than expected lane change
    Etc

Tires are a consumable and meant to be changed.
    Budget this used car with intent of new tires
    Plan on changing the tires out if you experience poor traction in adverse conditions as above.

• Like x 1