Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed 2018 Delivery - Any Word From Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • I ordered a Tesla Model 3 Performance in mid December 2018 using the website
  • A car and VIN was assigned shortly thereafter
  • The delivery date was changed numerous times, though I only have this documented in text messages from Tesla
  • I still have not received the vehicle
  • Musk has stated by tweet that offered to reimburse the tax credit to those that were promised delivery but did not receive their vehicle in 2018 (see his original tweet for exact wording)
  • My inside service advisor (ISA) stated that Tesla would "not put this in writing". No offer has been made to me and I received no response when trying to contact Tesla directly.
TL;DR:
  • If you purchased a Tesla in 2018 and tried to but did not receive delivery, have you received your reimbursement for the missed tax credit or have you been told how that's going to be handled (please indicate which).
Thank you

P.S. Great car; harrowing delivery experience.

Reactions: dhrivnak
First, dude ... it's only been 3 days and one of them was a holiday, so I'm sure no one has received anything.
Second, it'll probably be a check that gets mailed out after you take delivery - I'd expect that to take several weeks at least. They may even require you to prove that you would qualify for the credit.
Third, I wold contact customer service directly and ask them how to go about it.

Reactions: Cloxxki
what you should do:
remain calm and keep copies of those texts. work with delivery people on the issue. I think (based on the info provided) that Elon's word will be upheld since you know when you ordered and what you were "advised" via text. (and can prove it.) but be prepared to show that you would qualify for the full rebate.

what you should not do: (this part is more for lurkers who are in the same boat and run across this post somehow)
don't create as many threads in panic mode asking everyone who won't know the answer across as many forums as possible.

don't create youtube videos with click bait titles like "Elon, where's my money?" only to push your referral code at the end. if you need one, let me know.

don't go on twitter, ever. just stay the heck off that thing, it's lethal.

don't offer to buy in at $420 per share.

/joke

good luck, i'd expect that rebate money from Tesla to take some time, but your tax refund does as well. let us know how it pans out. peace

Reactions: Cloxxki
UPDATE
  • There has been no returned communication from my assigned inside service advisor (ISA)
  • On an unrelated matter, I happened to be at the mall yesterday where I originally saw the Model 3 and arranged a test drive
  • The store attendant/sales person gave me a customer service number for Tesla: 1(888) 518-3752
  • Customer service (Las Vegas, NV) was fast, attentive and knowledgeable
  • The customer service agent had no information about how Tesla was going to make up for the lost EV federal tax credit
  • I checked my Tesla account and found that the 2019 price reduction had been applied (automatically)
  • The price of the vehicle was reduced by $2,000
  • Due to the reduction in price, there was an additional reduction in sales tax ($125) on the vehicle
  • (Your reduction in sales tax may be different according to the tax rate in your area)
  • So instead of $3,750 in savings (half of the federal tax credit that expired at the end of 2018), the difference is down to $1,625
  • Smart move to reduce the price of the vehicle and have some of the Tesla-promised tax credit reimbursement come from savings in sales tax

UPDATE
  • There has been no returned communication from my assigned inside service advisor (ISA)
  • On an unrelated matter, I happened to be at the mall yesterday where I originally saw the Model 3 and arranged a test drive
  • The store attendant/sales person gave me a customer service number for Tesla: 1(888) 518-3752
  • Customer service (Las Vegas, NV) was fast, attentive and knowledgeable
  • The customer service agent had no information about how Tesla was going to make up for the lost EV federal tax credit
  • I checked my Tesla account and found that the 2019 price reduction had been applied (automatically)
  • The price of the vehicle was reduced by $2,000
  • Due to the reduction in price, there was an additional reduction in sales tax ($125) on the vehicle
  • (Your reduction in sales tax may be different according to the tax rate in your area)
  • So instead of $3,750 in savings (half of the federal tax credit that expired at the end of 2018), the difference is down to $1,625
  • Smart move to reduce the price of the vehicle and have some of the Tesla-promised tax credit reimbursement come from savings in sales tax

so what they need to do to make you whole is reduce the price of YOUR vehicle another 1625, sounds like.

Perhaps Tesla just needs more time to refund you ? I sent an online help request in the middle of December and they just responded a couple of days ago and apologized for the delay. I hope you get the refund soon !!
Thank you for your update. How did you submit the online service request? Is this done by logging on to Tesla.com, clicking Manage and then Request Help? I just did that but want to make sure that I'm understanding your method. Previously, I had contacted my delivery advisor and the payment department. Thank you for your guidance.

Thank you for your update. How did you submit the online service request? Is this done by logging on to Tesla.com, clicking Manage and then Request Help? I just did that but want to make sure that I'm understanding your method.

That is exactly what I did. I sent my delivery advisor multiple emails and I never heard one response back....ever. Like you, I feel their Customer Service needs an overhaul. Good luck and I'm praying you get your refund soon.