Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing audio alerts. Visuals OK. Profile dependent. How to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there.

[TLDR version]
Proximity audio alerts not working in my profile only. Visual alerts working. Did resets. Called Tesla and they are stumped. Thoughts?
[/TLDR]

A few weeks ago, my wife left the car in the snow covered driveway and asked me to back it in because the rear camera was blurry and she didn't feel comfortable. I'm pretty sure I used her key and reached in and changed the profile to mine (I'm a lot taller than her). I could see I was getting really close to the garbage can but nothing was beeping at me so I kept going until I hit it. No big deal, but I wondered why it didn't complain. Then I looked at the dash and see the bright red "STOP" and the glowing line, etc. So the car certainly knew an object was there, but it offered none of the normal audio cues. Over the following few days, I tested it further and sure enough... everything is working but the tones aren't there. I tried adjusting the volume knob with the music off thinking maybe that controlled it. I tried resetting the dash and main display computers. Nothing worked. Eventually I called Tesla for troubleshooting and he had me power down through the menu and he did some remote reset and whatever other Voodoo they do so well... no change. He said he'd set up a ticket and have me come in for service. It has been a couple weeks and I've not heard from anyone.

BUT!!! Today, my wife is pulling out of the garage and as I'm waving goodbye I can hear the familiar tones as she's passing through the entrance. I asked her and she said yes, the tones all work and have been working since the first day I brought it up. SHE thought it resolved itself or I had fixed it. It has been working for her all this time, but not for me. That's when I realized it is profile dependent!

One more thing to note: When I had it in reverse and the camera on full-screen mode, the camera is in the top portion and the birds-eye view of the car is at the bottom. In the lower-left corner is an icon of a speaker with an X beside it that I don't recall ever seeing before. I mentioned this to the Tesla guy on the phone and he said he's not familiar with it. He asked me to press it so I did, and it turned from blue to grey (and vice versa) but otherwise does nothing and remains with an X. Is that a clue?

Anyone experience this and know how I can fix it? I suspect - now that I know it is profile dependent - that I can fix it by deleting my profile and creating a new one. But I'd rather not do that if there's a better way.

Sorry I made that so long. I added a Too Long, Didn't Read version above ;)

In the lower-left corner is an icon of a speaker with an X beside it that I don't recall ever seeing before. I mentioned this to the Tesla guy on the phone and he said he's not familiar with it. He asked me to press it so I did, and it turned from blue to grey (and vice versa) but otherwise does nothing and remains with an X. Is that a clue?

Well, that icon is definately what controls the ‘beeping’ for proximity on my S. Blue means it’s turned on, grey means turned off. The icon itself doesn’t change however. I use it a lot when parking when my little daughter is asleep. I do think that you have to drive a little bit forward/backward for the beeps are there again after turning it on.

Hope this works for you too!

Weird that the Tesla tech support guy on the phone had no idea what that icon was for... or that he could have advised me to simply go to settings and turn on "Park Assist Chimes". Since I never turned that setting off, it didn't occur to me to turn it on... but it seems very strange to me that Tesla would rather have their reps set up physical appointments than do a tiny bit of basic troubleshooting.

Anyway, that's all it was. Somehow that setting got turned off on my profile, and it was probably that I accidentally touched that icon.

Thanks for the assist.