Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing HW for future autopilot SW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no doubt about Tesla being able to add some autopilot functionality with the new HW. What I question is if there are a few sensors missing for future OTA software updates/functions.

E.g. you may get adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist when getting your car. But later new model will come and there will be a sensor pointing back - you will be left with a car that does not apply to the latest SW improvements.
If you are lucky you may be able to retrofit the sensor.

I guess a rear facing radar is missing before all possible autopilot features can be implemented - such function could e.g. be a warning/verification before a lane shift on a highway (they did demonstrated automatical lane shif on the show) if another car is approaching from behind and in the lane you are about to shift to.
I believe this is a most typical accident on highways - if Tesla would like the car to autonomously shift lane, then the car NEEDS to verify the lane is free - this including to verify that a faster car is not comming up from behind.

I guess if another car coming from behind and it is traveling 40 mph faster than you - it will NOT be sufficient to look 15-18 ft. to the rear before changing lane...the Tesla need to verify a longer distance - only a radar/cam can do that.

Beside this I belive Tesla have added the right sensors - mobileeye are a well testet product used by other car manufactors - including Audi and Volvo
infact the best solution might be a mobileeye more pointing back - this could do car and speed recornision on upcoming cars in both left and right.

The current model has sensors sufficient for "autopilot" which includes lane following, lane changing, adaptive cruise control and self-parking.
Full autonomous driving will probably need a lot more hardware and is at least a few years down the road.
Autopilot assumes that you have a driver watching road conditions so, for instance, when you want to change lanes the driver will check to make sure there is not a car approaching from the rear at high speed.