Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing KWh on 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings! We recently took a long day trip to Leavenworth from Seattle - and drove back the same evening. The car started at a 100% charge... And at the end of the day the trip computer showed 68KWh used and 11% left.

Given its a 90D, I would have expected it to have closer to 20% left after using 68kwh.

Do most folks find that the kWh used metric on trips is accurate?

Over the course of one day the trip meter power consumption should be pretty accurate since there is minimal vampire drain.

From my calculations, a 90D has about 85kWh available so I agree it should have been more like 20%.

Where did you see 11%?

The imputed usable capacity is roughly 76kWh (68/0.89 +- rounding errors). That seems a bit low. For my 85D it's around 74kWh.

To add another data point, I calculated about 81 kWh usable in my 90D. I charged to 90% and drove to red, with 9 range miles remaining. That used 70.1 kWh according to the trip meter. Figuring 3 mi/kWh for the remaining 9 miles gives me 90% =~ 73 kWh and 100% =~ 81 kWh. That seems reasonable if 10% of the battery is reserve of some kind.

HUOaafp.jpg

Assuming you started with a 100% charge, that seems kinda low.

72kWh + (10*320Wh) ~ 75kwH

I've calculated the reserve on my 90D at about 5kWh, so there is another 5kWh missing in your P85DL.

The 85 is really an 81 and has 76 kWh available before it hits it's anti brick buffer.

My point is it's still better than what most of reporting in their 90 batteries.