Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do know there's a 12V cigarette lighter socket in the armrest storage area, yes? Who doesn't have a USB adapter for that?
The rear console USB-C ports won't likely be active either, they're all on the same hub.
My center console usb-c ports are missing, also no wireless charging. But the cigarette port has power and the two rear usb-c ports work. Today they cancelled my mobile appt saying no parts yet. They don’t have an eta.

If anything, Tesla has too much data:

"Tesla production data is fed into several different key systems. The first major one is in the MES (Manufacturing Execution System). This software essentially is the air traffic controller of the entire production process. It can tell a certain item in the assembly line where it should be heading, keep track of the production orders and quality issues, and collect basic measurements."
- Data Analytics for Manufacturing: the Tesla’s Case Study (Part 1)

I've seen video of the Shanghai factory line, where workers were scanning the barcode of each part before installing it. Elon is highly data-driven.
I’m pretty certain that Tesla is tracking every single part of relevance just the same as the historical manufacturers like Daimler, VW, Porsche, Ford, etc. It’s just the way it is done.

Now, they probably aren’t actually TRACKING things like zip ties, tape, some cable harness stays, adhesive, non-SKU’d specific consumables that are going into each car, but each cable harness to an engineering spec’d bolt, etc. is tracked that goes into each car. As the car is being built, when the robot or the human pulls a part out of the bin or trolley, it’s automagically decremented from the inventory management system and credited to the BILL of MATERIALS (BOM) for that specific vehicle. At the end of the line, if something was missing and they pushed the car through to the next station, they normally side-line these cars and add the parts later, but in this case it seems they pushed them through knowingly, and never added them back after the fact prior to delivery.
We think Tesla is one of the most advanced high tech auto groups in the world today.
That means Tesla can track the parts down to the smallest connector. Easily. Unless they don't want to.
So what you are guys saying they knew very well that the USB ports were missing (and possibly other parts too) but their Quality Assurance department passed the cars and Tesla did not inform the customers hoping they would not notice? No "3rd party dealers" to blame here, all the same company.

Last edited:
To all the people saying "my car will never be the same once it's torn apart." It absolutely will be. Anyone who has the proper tools and skills can remove the center console, install the USB module and replace it. That does not necessarily include someone doing it in their driveway, but it does apply to any tech at any dealer.
Totally agree with this statement. It all depends on who does the work. Most of the time why people think things don't go back together the same is because the pins or clips snap when being taken apart, so if Tesla is performing the work, they should have plenty to replace so you still have a complete factory fit. Also, skilled mechanics can do amazing things like this -
which can end up even better than factory. I wouldn't sweat it too much, these cars are meant to open and close like this for add-ons.

Prior to this, weren't there issues with ports that were installed but didn't have power to them? Again, I take delivery on Monday and good change MY will be one of these with missing ports but based on the alternatives available, I am glad they sent the car. I do agree with being notified about it, and we're nearing the timeframe on that if not already passed it. However, as with any company, there is a process that would need to be associated with a notification like that.

As a very simple look a that process... First, verifying how many are impacted, then specifying the VINs impacted, then determining how many more will be impacted, then notifying the SAs responsible for those customer VINs (or determine if email is a best form of communication), needing a solution/fix and timeframe because as soon as you notify everyone there will be thousands of questions as to when it will be fixed (so if you don't know that yet, then you're at a stalemate) and ultimately conducting a risk/reward analysis to see if this matter is of the magnitude to put the time and effort towards all of the above (and more). Just saying, there are different levels of customer/fan involvement with any brand, Tesla has some passionate ones hence this forum... but if you're Tesla and determine that the majority won't see this as a major issue to address and that your focus is better geared toward securing more batteries and chips, well... where would you focus your attention? Where do you think the people who are still waiting for their VINs want the attention focused?

Listen, just adding another perspective to all this... I get it, I know why many are upset and it's a bigger deal to some than others and yes it would be nice to be notified... but sometimes it may just not be that simple with everything going on... and yes, there are high expectations... but for expectations THAT large sometimes it's best to go buy a Rolls Royce... extreme example? Yeah, I know... but again, think about it...

Reactions: WhiteWi
So what you are guys saying they knew very well that the USB ports were missing (and possibly other parts too) but their Quality Assurance department passed the cars and Tesla did not inform the customers hoping they would not notice? No "3rd party dealers" to blame here, all the same company.

No one is suggesting that the USB ports were omitted accidentally. I would be far more concerned if that were the case.

Prior to this, weren't there issues with ports that were installed but didn't have power to them? Again, I take delivery on Monday and good change MY will be one of these with missing ports but based on the alternatives available, I am glad they sent the car. I do agree with being notified about it, and we're nearing the timeframe on that if not already passed it. However, as with any company, there is a process that would need to be associated with a notification like that.

As a very simple look a that process... First, verifying how many are impacted, then specifying the VINs impacted, then determining how many more will be impacted, then notifying the SAs responsible for those customer VINs (or determine if email is a best form of communication), needing a solution/fix and timeframe because as soon as you notify everyone there will be thousands of questions as to when it will be fixed (so if you don't know that yet, then you're at a stalemate) and ultimately conducting a risk/reward analysis to see if this matter is of the magnitude to put the time and effort towards all of the above (and more). Just saying, there are different levels of customer/fan involvement with any brand, Tesla has some passionate ones hence this forum... but if you're Tesla and determine that the majority won't see this as a major issue to address and that your focus is better geared toward securing more batteries and chips, well... where would you focus your attention? Where do you think the people who are still waiting for their VINs want the attention focused?

Listen, just adding another perspective to all this... I get it, I know why many are upset and it's a bigger deal to some than others and yes it would be nice to be notified... but sometimes it may just not be that simple with everything going on... and yes, there are high expectations... but for expectations THAT large sometimes it's best to go buy a Rolls Royce... extreme example? Yeah, I know... but again, think about it...
You are so right…. This a total “first world problem” for customers…. For Tesla I think in the longer term they have to solve this throw the spaghetti at the wall issue with both problems and good stuf. Clear, effective and honest communication will be important as the wolves come knocking at the door of their monopoly.

Reactions: Tezlowski
Communication is never just a first world problem
All I meant is that a $60k car missing a few parts in a first world problem and I, like many here have whined about it but when you put it in the perspective of what’s happening in the wider world it’s just not really a very serious problem. I wasn’t talking about the communication piece In that regard.

All I meant is that a $60k car missing a few parts in a first world problem and I, like many here have whined about it but when you put it in the perspective of what’s happening in the wider world it’s just not really a very serious problem. I wasn’t talking about the communication piece In that regard.

I understand, but I think people are mostly concerned with the lack of communication from Tesla and not that the part is not functioning. BMW and GM are going through the same issues but they decided to inform customers instead of customers taking delivery and then finding out on their own their car was missing some features.

Reactions: SFNM Jack
I think the problem is that Tesla is not known for being transparent, this situation reinforces that perspective, and further reinforces general lack of trust in Tesla the corporation.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
I think the problem is that Tesla is not known for being transparent, this situation reinforces that perspective, and further reinforces general lack of trust in Tesla the corporation.
I agree, honesty and transparency goes a long way in customer satisfaction. Especially for something like this that is probably out of Tesla's control due to parts shortages. They could have easily notified people taking deliveries via the app or an autogenerated email that due to a parts shortage their car would be delivered without "XYZ" parts.

I agree, honesty and transparency goes a long way in customer satisfaction. Especially for something like this that is probably out of Tesla's control due to parts shortages. They could have easily notified people taking deliveries via the app or an autogenerated email that due to a parts shortage their car would be delivered without "XYZ" parts.
Thank you for your wise expertise!

I am as big a tesla supporter as they come. But if my 3LR shows up without working ports (in my eyes an integral part of my driving experience and daily commute) or another essential piece of the car no ****ing way am I paying for the car. I would rather a reasonable delay of the car until it is ready. However, that is unlikely as they would probably give my car to someone who is unsuspecting and willing to take delivery. Then I am waiting until March and SOL. Tesla has to get better at this. It is going to hurt them in the long run. There are weeks or even months wait for service appointments. Why would I pay for or finance an unfinished product for full price...?

5XPiVeX.jpg

I am as big a tesla supporter as they come. But if my 3LR shows up without working ports (in my eyes an integral part of my driving experience and daily commute) or another essential piece of the car no ****ing way am I paying for the car. I would rather a reasonable delay of the car until it is ready. However, that is unlikely as they would probably give my car to someone who is unsuspecting and willing to take delivery. Then I am waiting until March and SOL. Tesla has to get better at this. It is going to hurt them in the long run. There are weeks or even months wait for service appointments. Why would I pay for or finance an unfinished product for full price...?
I was where you are and then I slept on it…. Felt like I just wanted the car in the morning. This is an experiment for my family so we’ve decided to play the hands we’re dealt and see if we’ll ever buy another car from Elon or wait for the professionals to catch up. Same with the Fisker Ocean One I just put a deposit on. I know, I know…. It mat never come but the deposit is refundable and even if they fold and steal my money I’ve pissed away $250 on worse. The Flexee Lease option Fisker is offering is a real winner in my book. No set term, 30k miles/yr. Anyhow…. I hope it’s works out for you what ever you decide. Everyone has there own pain threshold..

Last edited: