Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MIT Project Proved Environmental and Economic Value of Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This great tool and underlying research from MIT's Trancik Lab shows that all Tesla Model 3 variants are stroller performers for both lifecycle ownership and operational costs and lifecycle carbon emissions!

Not that we Tesla owners need to be any more self-congratulatory, but it is interesting to see a holistic lifecycle emissions and cost picture presented this way!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210118-223832.png
    Screenshot_20210118-223832.png
    991.5 KB · Views: 121
I'd like to see the environmental impact of manufacturing of the battery (including mining, refining, transport etc) quantified as well when compared to an ICE vehicle. I've read that todays batteries cost around the same environmental impact as manufacturing the vehicle itself.

I'd like to see the environmental impact of manufacturing of the battery (including mining, refining, transport etc) quantified as well when compared to an ICE vehicle. I've read that todays batteries cost around the same environmental impact as manufacturing the vehicle itself.

battery costs are part of that tool. you need to pick the cars you want to see and then view by barchart.

• Love
Reactions: Dre78
Well, I love my Tesla, but I think the title of this thread would better read "indicates" instead of "proved"...

That's... Actually a good point! The devil is in the details of the methodology and data sources, and this is leveraging research from a lot of different places that makes it hard to fact check. Regardless, I think it's a unique and interesting tool to play around with.

Not that it's fair to compare a Telsa 3P to a clunky BMW M3 but it's interesting that the Tesla is 2/3 the lifetime cost and 1/3 the emissions despite Tesla's vastly higher performance and lower sales price.

I was surprised to see the CO2 emissions from *manufacturing* the Tesla are double that of the BMW as I expected the rather wasteful mining/melting/machining of iron parts for the BMW engine/transmission to be more air polluting than the comparatively meticulous mining/processing of lithium for batteries.

Also interesting is that, mile for mile, simply *refining* the gas for the BMW creates as much CO2 as actually *charging* the Tesla.

Anyway, this is a well built tool that attempts to include all the key parameters for a fair analysis in the hands of a skilled user. Hopefully some far smarter folks can use this to make much more fair and meaningful comparisons than the lazy default-value thing I did here.

Screenshot 2021-01-25 212018.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-25 215044.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GZDongles