Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector or Adapter over Temperature Limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been using the UMC without issue for about a year and then two weeks ago, for the first time, I had this error message “Mobile Connector or Adapter over Temperature Limit - Maximum Charge Rate Reduced” on my dash display. The car had been charging overnight (as I always do) When I went over to the charging cable, there were burn marks on the 2 flat prongs and a faint burning smell in the garage. I unplugged and drove to a supercharger that morning (as I was leaving for vacation) and charged without issue at the Supercharger. At the vacation house, I was able to charge without issue using the exact same cable. On the drive back, was also able to charge at Supercharger without issue.

Since I’ve returned home over the past week I’ve had similar issues when charging at home on a few other occasions. I am certainly not an electrician and not electrically inclined at all, so looking for advice/thoughts/recommendations before calling an electrician to come out and check it (would like to understand what could be happening so I know if the electrician is telling me the truth with whatever he ends up telling me as I don’t want to get taken advantage of).

The outlet is a NEMA 14-50.

Hoping to get this figured out so I can resume charging my MS at home again.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, don’t use that outlet. Stop right now.

You have a failing receptacle, one or more improperly torqued lugs, some insulation pinched in them, or maybe all of the above.

Burn marks and smell is not a “hmm let’s see if it happens again” sort of thing.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H