Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector or adaptor over temperate limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does anyone know what that error means?

After a few minutes charging from at Nema 10-30 outlet it gives me that message.

Attachments

• A473EC54-F17D-436C-A441-D94E251E4572.jpeg
    A473EC54-F17D-436C-A441-D94E251E4572.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 449
The mobile connector has a temp probe embedded in the 1’ long adapter (for a 10-30 outlet in your case). This is to detect poor connections in the outlet and prevent the outlet from melting or, in the worst case, starting a fire.

Call an electrician to check it out, or turn off the breaker and inspect the outlet. Make sure the terminals are tight on the back of the outlet, make sure the wires are screwed in and not using some sort of push-on connection (generally not done on higher amperage connections), consider replacing the outlet with a new one (possible corrosion internal in the outlet), etc...

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I believe that it means that you've probably got a connector problem. Take a look at the ends of the cords and the socket in the wall and the socket in the car. Look for any melting and black residue. Also smell for any burn smell.

Well my 10-30 adapter has a black spot on the ends where it connects to the outlet. I noticed today

The connector doesn’t have any issues when plugging into a standard wall outlet.

Well my 10-30 adapter has a black spot on the ends where it connects to the outlet. I noticed today
Ah. Probably one of two pretty common-ish problems then with the outlet installation. A screw that holds a wire in the back of the outlet may be a bit loose, so the connection is not tight enough, and it makes a resistive hot spot. Or where the plastic insulation gets stripped back off the wire to expose the metal, sometimes it's not stripped back far enough or the wire is pushed in too far, so there is a little of that plastic insulation pinched under the screw, so it's not making good contact with the metal, which also makes a bad connection and a hot spot. We've seen some pictures on this forum of each of those two problems a few times.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

The connector doesn’t have any issues when plugging into a standard wall outlet.

Looks like outlet socket installation problem. Should get the electrician to look into immediately before it damages the car's charging module, or burning down the house.

Generally the mobile charge does not have problem with standard wall outlet due to its lower voltage and lower current

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Definitely stop using this outlet until the issue is resolved. You could burn down your house - the car is perhaps the only thing that has prevented a fire or failure thus far.

So, get it fixed ASAP.

The black spots suggest to me it could also be arcing due to poor contacts to the prongs on the 10-30 plug. So reducing the current in the car is not going to help much with that (which I why I recommend discontinuing use). It could also just be getting really hot in the outlet due to high resistance connections as suggested above - it's a little hard to say without pictures.

If you are comfortable with electrical work, it would not be difficult to do this yourself, but sounds like it will likely be better to get an electrician to replace the outlet and inspect the entire installation for you.

Definitely stop using this outlet until the issue is resolved. You could burn down your house - the car is perhaps the only thing that has prevented a fire or failure thus far.

So, get it fixed ASAP.

The black spots suggest to me it could also be arcing due to poor contacts to the prongs on the 10-30 plug. So reducing the current in the car is not going to help much with that (which I why I recommend discontinuing use). It could also just be getting really hot in the outlet due to high resistance connections as suggested above - it's a little hard to say without pictures.

If you are comfortable with electrical work, it would not be difficult to do this yourself, but sounds like it will likely be better to get an electrician to replace the outlet and inspect the entire installation for you.

Yeah I discontinue use of the plug already.
I will probably get someone into come check to out.
For now it’s urban chargers, ChargePoint and colts chargers for now.

I just replaced the outlet. It seems there was a bit of corrosion (blueish/greenish color).
That seems to have been the issue.
After I replaced it left it to charge around 20 mins and there was no message.
It seems like the outlet hasn’t been in use for years

Going to monitoring to see if it was just that.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I just replaced the outlet. It seems there was a bit of corrosion (blueish/greenish color).
That seems to have been the issue.
After I replaced it left it to charge around 20 mins and there was no message.
It seems like the outlet hasn’t been in use for years

Going to monitoring to see if it was just that.

Great! Do you happen to be near the ocean? Copper is fairly vulnerable to salt air. Could just be ancient and unused though. Probably looked like the Statue of Liberty in that outlet.