Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mobile service isn't the answer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been an owner for 4 years, and I live in a relatively large metropolitan city in California with hundreds of Tesla owners (fresno) but we have no service center. When I first bought it, that wasn't an issue as they provided Ranger pick up and delivery, and was reassured that a local service center was imminent.

4 Years later, I hear Tesla tout their mobile service as the answer to people like me. In reality, it's not. I called to schedule an annual service and was told that can't be done via mobile service. So what is likely the most commonly needed consistent service can't be done with mobile service. All owners in central california will have to drive 300 miles round trip for an annual service. Does that sound like a practical solution to the need for service? Do you know many people that would drive 300 miles round trip for an oil change? And they expect hundreds, and soon thousands, of Central Valley owners to do this every year?

Tesla better think long and hard about expecting mobile service to meet the needs of their growing customer base. I'll change cars before I do that, which is too bad because I'm a fan and love my car.

• Love
Reactions: jgallops and GreenT
So while I've been on record many, many times saying Tesla needs to expand their service center footprint something fierce, I really like the mobile service option. Why? Just had it, it's awesome and works quite well. Sure they can't do everything but they can do most things, which is the vast majority of the tasks.

At least you have a service center in a reasonable spot compared to some who have to travel much, much further than you do...

Jeff

I've been an owner for 4 years, and I live in a relatively large metropolitan city in California with hundreds of Tesla owners (fresno) but we have no service center. When I first bought it, that wasn't an issue as they provided Ranger pick up and delivery, and was reassured that a local service center was imminent.

4 Years later, I hear Tesla tout their mobile service as the answer to people like me. In reality, it's not. I called to schedule an annual service and was told that can't be done via mobile service. So what is likely the most commonly needed consistent service can't be done with mobile service. All owners in central california will have to drive 300 miles round trip for an annual service. Does that sound like a practical solution to the need for service? Do you know many people that would drive 300 miles round trip for an oil change? And they expect hundreds, and soon thousands, of Central Valley owners to do this every year?

Tesla better think long and hard about expecting mobile service to meet the needs of their growing customer base. I'll change cars before I do that, which is too bad because I'm a fan and love my car.
Annual service includes alignment. Mobile can't do that or anything that requires a full lift of the car. I've been very happy with my mobile service experiences. I wish Tesla would offer it rather than me asking -- but each time I've asked they said yes. It's been awesome.

snip

Agree 100%
But.
I think Tesla is "merely" an energy company.
Who needs to make and maintain a fleet of 300,000+ cars - it has to be a massive pain.
They can neither manufacture, deliver, nor service their cars. But their cars are addictive to drive.

The thought of going back to gas or worse getting service, or the dread of getting in an accident and being without for months waiting for body repairs ...

If owned a company like that, I would ditch the cars.
And focus on something that can only be profitable, something I had a multi year head start ... a charging infrastructure. License it out.

Elon "promised" 3x service facilities. And tons of chargers. Where are the former? The latter you now practically bump into!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we look back in 2020 and see the car join Fisker. And Tesla only make the semi.
That's an industry where you need to deliver far fewer vehicles, can make far more money from companies and not have to deal with pesky consumers like you and me!!!

Let Ford, Chevy, Volvo, Merc, Porsche etc. build the electric cars, with batteries sourced by Tesla. Then let them all use the charging infrastructure.

Me, I think Tesla is in the wrong business making cars. What a headache!
They've proven their model is simply not scalable.

Agree 100%
But.
I think Tesla is "merely" an energy company.
Who needs to make and maintain a fleet of 300,000+ cars - it has to be a massive pain.
They can neither manufacture, deliver, nor service their cars. But their cars are addictive to drive.

The thought of going back to gas or worse getting service, or the dread of getting in an accident and being without for months waiting for body repairs ...

If owned a company like that, I would ditch the cars.
And focus on something that can only be profitable, something I had a multi year head start ... a charging infrastructure. License it out.

Elon "promised" 3x service facilities. And tons of chargers. Where are the former? The latter you now practically bump into!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we look back in 2020 and see the car join Fisker. And Tesla only make the semi.
That's an industry where you need to deliver far fewer vehicles, can make far more money from companies and not have to deal with pesky consumers like you and me!!!

Let Ford, Chevy, Volvo, Merc, Porsche etc. build the electric cars, with batteries sourced by Tesla. Then let them all use the charging infrastructure.

Me, I think Tesla is in the wrong business making cars. What a headache!
They've proven their model is simply not scalable.

LOL... Really? They've proven their model is simply not scalable? I didn't know they've proven that... We read some crazy stuff here but this one is right up there with the craziest stuff...

Jeff

....Let Ford, Chevy, Volvo, Merc, Porsche etc. build the electric cars, with batteries sourced by Tesla. Then let them all use the charging infrastructure...

Tesla has been willing to sell its parts to others such as its battery for Toyota Rav4, and electric power-train for Mercedes-Benz but both companies dropped their contracts with Tesla.

Tesla encourages competitors to use its open-source patents to build electric cars.

It also invited the industry to adopt Tesla Supercharger standard but they refused and preferred their slow J1772. Tesla went ahead and rolled out its Tesla Supercharger standard without the blessing of the industry and Tesla has repeatedly stated that the industry is welcome to use Tesla Supercharger infrastructure provided that they share the cost.

Despite Tesla's imperfections, it is still the only electric car that can drive from coast-to-coast in 50 hours and 16 minutes that no other car companies can ever duplicate in a foreseeable future with their current conventional dealership scalable model.

Tesla has been willing to sell its parts to others such as its battery for Toyota Rav4, and electric power-train for Mercedes-Benz but both companies dropped their contracts with Tesla.

Tesla encourages competitors to use its open-source patents to build electric cars.

It also invited the industry to adopt Tesla Supercharger standard but they refused and preferred their slow J1772. Tesla went ahead and rolled out its Tesla Supercharger standard without the blessing of the industry and Tesla has repeatedly stated that the industry is welcome to use Tesla Supercharger infrastructure provided that they share the cost.

Despite Tesla's imperfections, it is still the only electric car that can drive from coast-to-coast in 50 hours and 16 minutes that no other car companies can ever duplicate in a foreseeable future with their current conventional dealership scalable model.
No doubt. When ours are performing well, you are correct.

But when trying to buy them and get service we dread having to interact.
Kinda like our internet connections. We use it, are addicted to it ... until we have to call for service.
(Bad analogy as there's no charging involved.)

Don't get me wrong ... I love my car and have done since the day I ordered it.

I have to wonder how Elon treated Toyota, Merc and so on. And what the real terms were for open sourcing their charging network?

Not true. I had my windshield replaced while parked in my driveway.

Interesting. Maybe because you have a S? They can't do it for my 3 here in LA. They checked to see if Buena Park Mobile Service could do it but they can't. But Tesla Pomona was able to drive out to my house, dropped off a loaner S, took my car to their place to replace windshield, drove it back, and take back the loaner. That is just good as mobile service in my book.

...I have to wonder how Elon treated Toyota...

Elon Musk was not very diplomatic with Toyota and Toyota felt extremely offended when Elon said Fuel Cell is "mind-bogglingly stupid," "incredibly dumb" and "fool cells."

The relationship went downhill after that and until this day, Tesla still has not apologized to Toyota for those very unkind words toward Fuel Cell.

Yep, the closest to me is 95 miles and by the time I have someone follow me to drop and pick up, that is 570 miles by the time we are done.
That said, Tesla has been great about doing what can be done with the mobile service and I appreciate everything they can do. and they have been great with providing loaners or rental cars when they can.

I can see where they would have a hard time doing anything where they need a hoist, or an evac unit for the AC. Tesla is growing and they will build more service as they are able. Mobile cant do everything!!

"Elon Musk was not very diplomatic with Toyota and Toyota felt extremely offended when Elon said Fuel Cell is "mind-bogglingly stupid," "incredibly dumb" and "fool cells." "

He was right!

Elon Musk was not very diplomatic with Toyota and Toyota felt extremely offended when Elon said Fuel Cell is "mind-bogglingly stupid," "incredibly dumb" and "fool cells."

The relationship went downhill after that and until this day, Tesla still has not apologized to Toyota for those very unkind words toward Fuel Cell.
To be fair to Elon, Toyota's Mirai is kind of the worst of both worlds compared to the 3 or standard Prius. I dunno why Toyota did an about face on EVs in the early 2000s. My guess is they were burned too hard by the Panasonic/Ovonics (owned by Chevron at the time) settlement and got skittish. Had they stuck to their guns and teamed up with Tesla, we'd be in a very different place IMO. On the plus side, at least we have Tesla's independence, and Panasonic has evidently learned from their mistakes in the past.

I had a Tesla house call (aka Mobile Service) and it was fantastic.

Far more convenient than traditional service. No need to drive to a dealer or mechanic to pick up and drop off. Did not even need to get out of my PJs. The tech was very friendly and knowledgeable.

Tesla says 80% of repairs can be done through mobile service and there is a 97%customer satisfaction rating.
Tesla's New Initiatives Aim To Improve Service
Tesla unveils modified Model S for its expanding mobile repair service

The complainers are few and far between, although I am sure most of them will turn up on this thread.;)

Reactions: bpjod