Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if Tesla has stopped providing mobile technicians?

Following a 2nd visit to my local service centre resulting in a wing mirror being replaced, the technician has caused excessive wind noise to enter my model S from that area. I refitted the rubber surrounds just inside the door which had been fitted incorrectly which helped slightly but both the noise and air can be felt entering from that area of the vehicle. Tried booking a service appointment, only to no longer get a mobile option.

My experience of raising a service request is when you first initially raise a service request the only option is to book it in at a SC (no option to select a ranger visit). Once someone @ Tesla has reviewed your service request, if they think it can be done by a mobile ranger they offer you the option of a ranger visit or SC visit via a message in the app.

Reactions: boombap
Easy way to check is to choose something else on the app, something that ought to be easily done by mobile service. If you still don't get offered mobile appointments then they might not have any slots available, or might not have mobile service available in that area currently, or perhaps you're blacklisted (if that's a thing).

In my experience it depends on the language you use in the booking, and the option(s) you choose. "Something else" tends to offer me mobile service. Other options are probably excluded from it.

Reactions: boombap
Does anyone know if Tesla has stopped providing mobile technicians?

Following a 2nd visit to my local service centre resulting in a wing mirror being replaced, the technician has caused excessive wind noise to enter my model S from that area. I refitted the rubber surrounds just inside the door which had been fitted incorrectly which helped slightly but both the noise and air can be felt entering from that area of the vehicle. Tried booking a service appointment, only to no longer get a mobile option.

I think if you explain in the text part of the app that the problem has arisen as a result of faulty workmanship at the service centre it will help them to realise that booking another SC appointment is putting you to further inconvenience when they should be the ones going the extra mile (literally). Some recall work that was supposed to have taken place when my car was at the SC was completed via a mobile tech at a later date without me even requesting it.

Thank you for your responses. Very helpful and confirms mobile bookings have not been obsoleted. I've put a request in the app for a mobile appointment so fingers crossed. I've only had the car 3.5 months (Tesla owned previously) and already it's been in the service department twice (total of 9 days).

I've had several Mobile services this year so far alone.

Certain things get automatically assigned to service center and others mobile service. Sometimes I'll have it for mobile and then I go back and edit to add something else that should be mobile and it switches to service center.

I've had good luck with using the something else option which in my experience has (so far) been assigned 100% to mobile.

All that said as others have mentioned when they review the ticket the same or next day it can get reassigned to something else.

Just booked it and see what happens after it's reviewed.

I'm sure how busy mobile or service center is plays into things as well.

I've had stuff booked for service center only to be notified the day before that they have mobile in my area and they finished early for day and if I want them to come over in an hour.

One came out to me last week when I put in a concern of the bottom of the drivers seat heating not working. They did the O ring in the and insulation recalls on the drive and diagnosed the heating element was gone. It went into the service centre this week and had that changed and the bottom seat cover got changed with it.

I think if you explain in the text part of the app that the problem has arisen as a result of faulty workmanship at the service centre it will help them to realise that booking another SC appointment is putting you to further inconvenience when they should be the ones going the extra mile (literally). Some recall work that was supposed to have taken place when my car was at the SC was completed via a mobile tech at a later date without me even requesting it.
Didn’t work for me when they scratched a trim piece when replacing it. It was clearly their fault and they acknowledged it when it was pointed out to them before I left the SC - but I had to rebook another appointment and come back to get it rectified.

To be fair what looked like a simple bit of chrome trim to replace requires the full bumper to be removed and replaced and USS to be disconnected and reconnected. Ended up being a 2.5 hour job as the connectors ended up breaking and having to be replaced. Luckily they scrounged up some otherwise it would have been a third SC visit 😅

Ah Tesla quality 🤣

Thank you for the assistance. In the end I put a request through for this to be a ranger appointment, which they agreed to. Odd this wasn't an option at the start.

The build quality worries me with my model S warranty expiring at the end of the year. The alternative is living with defects or costly repairs. For this reason, I'm swaying towards selling the Tesla than I am of our 2018 VW e-Golf which has been faultless.

The build quality worries me with my model S warranty expiring at the end of the year. The alternative is living with defects or costly repairs. For this reason, I'm swaying towards selling the Tesla than I am of our 2018 VW e-Golf which has been faultless.

I loved my Audi A7. That said I generally don’t like to keep cars (much if anything) after warranty expires. That said I kept the Audi for 8 years; 4 past warranty. Towards the end it required regular repairs that were not cheap by any means. Regardless they were still cheaper to do all the repairs than buy the Tesla.

The main reason I traded it for the Tesla was the absurd amount of money Tesla gave me for the Audi, with no inspection. and the Audi in need of $4K of cooling system repairs.

Would still have been cheaper to keep the Audi. But was time to move on and even with Tesla’s “quirks” I’d still by another one; which I have several times over the last decade.

Nothing else in this price range is as fun or enjoyable.

Best of luck.

I loved my Audi A7. That said I generally don’t like to keep cars (much if anything) after warranty expires. That said I kept the Audi for 8 years; 4 past warranty. Towards the end it required regular repairs that were not cheap by any means. Regardless they were still cheaper to do all the repairs than buy the Tesla.
The bigger Audi’s with 6, 8 or in my case 10 cylinders are usually fine whilst in warranty, but then the really fun stuff starts when they get on mileage and age-wise. Nothing like having to drop the entire engine and box out of the chassis to replace a £2 oil seal. Or spark plug replacement which necessitates similar. If you don’t like big bills then definitely get shot out of warranty would be my advice.

The cali built 2017 Tesla I have on the other hand has been pretty much a constant trickle of small shitty repairs and updates since day dot. All this stuff about electric cars not needing maintenance like ICE is pure guff guv.

Anything with wheels costs money whether it’s maintenance and repair or just good old fashioned depreciation.

Reactions: Motorsport101
The bigger Audi’s with 6, 8 or in my case 10 cylinders are usually fine whilst in warranty, but then the really fun stuff starts when they get on mileage and age-wise. Nothing like having to drop the entire engine and box out of the chassis to replace a £2 oil seal. Or spark plug replacement which necessitates similar. If you don’t like big bills then definitely get shot out of warranty would be my advice.

The cali built 2017 Tesla I have on the other hand has been pretty much a constant trickle of small shitty repairs and updates since day dot. All this stuff about electric cars not needing maintenance like ICE is pure guff guv.

Anything with wheels costs money whether it’s maintenance and repair or just good old fashioned depreciation.

My daily Tesla is my 2020 Model 3 Long Range All Wheel Drive from day before Xmas 2019.

It has never been into the service center.

The only mobile service it has had was for:

factory installed damaged wheel replacement at my request. It was barely noticeable but was improperly installed and one tab was damaged

Mobile charger with slightly misaligned pin that wouldn’t charge at full speed.

Mobile came out and fixed both the next day.

Subsequently when I got FSD beta replacement of both side repeater cameras goodwill’ed due to blinker glare at night on screen (no issue with FSD) at my request. Trunk rear camera recall also done even though no damage and not required per Tesla.

So I guess I’m an edge case for good (mobile?) service.

To each their own. Result may vary.

Reactions: Motorsport101
Results certainly do vary.. I had to pay for those two side repeater cameras, and I had paid for FSD too. No chance of it being done under warranty or goodwill.

Car is still under warranty and I sent them video of the cameras flickering post rain. There was no moisture in them though. Likely just a software glitch in release at the time. That said early and recent cameras prior to current ones were known to get water in the cameras or in the connector.

Car is still under warranty and I sent them video of the cameras flickering post rain. There was no moisture in them though. Likely just a software glitch in release at the time. That said early and recent cameras prior to current ones were known to get water in the cameras or in the connector.
Dont quote me on this but if I recall @Durzel changed his due to the light bleed from the indicator lights that affected the cameras on earlier cars.

We just had a mobile service appointment on our M3LR yesterday and it was handled very well. It was originally made to replace the cover on the passenger seat adjustment control (it had fallen off and was no where to be found in the car). The technician arrived and easily replaced the cap/ cover that had fallen off. He was then trying to adjust the price for the service since it was so minor (we had been quoted in the app up to $135 apparently if the controls needed to be replaced). While the technician was here, I mentioned that the car was approaching 6,500 miles and we needed the tires rotated. He said he could do it right then for us, which was great. He quickly rotated the tries, checked the air pressure and that was taken care of without having to schedule another appointment. The total charge for the service was the $65 for the tire rotation. A very positive experience with Tesla Mobile service.

I just put in a service request. On the app it said they would reply within 2 hours. They didn't. Ultimately when they did reply they said mobile service wasn't available to evaluate a distorted sound from one of the speakers in the A pillar. Seems like mobile service is a thing of the past in some areas.