Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobileye - Most Impressive Self Driving Demo Yet (CES 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks highly impressive indeed!

Where exactly are the 12 cameras placed on this vehicle and what angles/ranges/functions do they cover?

Are any OEM's planning to use this camera-only implementation in the foreseeable future?

Is this a demo of the EyeQ5 system?

Looks highly impressive indeed!

Where exactly are the 12 cameras placed on this vehicle and what angles/ranges/functions do they cover?

Are any OEM's planning to use this camera-only implementation in the foreseeable future?

Is this a demo of the EyeQ5 system?

It has 4 parking cameras (front, back,left, right).
It has a forward tri-focal camera with various FOV (Main, Narrow, Wide)
It has two forward looking side cameras on the roof, one on each side.
It also has two rear looking cameras just above the tires, one on each side.
Finally it has a rearward camera behind the back window.

Multiple OEMs already use the tri-focal camera (BMW X5, 3 series, X7), and (NIO ES8, ES6).

Their current fleet uses 4x EyeQ4, their new BMW X5 fleet will use 8x EyeQ4 which will be replaced by 3x EyeQ5 second half of 2019.

1. So I take it this demo was using 4x EyeQ4.

2. Where would you classify it by SAE L2..5? Is there geofencing, speed limits or scenarios it cannot handle?

3. Presumably the BMW with 8x EyeQ4 (or later 3x EyeQ5) will aim to implement a L4 solution, yes?

Found the CES 2019 full video presentation, very worthwhile watching:

CES 2019: An Hour With Amnon – AV & ADAS Updates

@21:00 The camera configuration:
Tri-Focal Forward: 26°, 52°, 150°
Roof Forward L+R: 100°
Fenders Rearward L+R: 100°
Rear Window: 52°
+ 4 parking cameras

@24:30 EyeQ5 series production March 2021, BMW will bring L3 product with Aptiv HAD [highly autonomous driving] board

@26:00 Working with regulators to help define meaning of safe yet agile AD, using RSS (responsibility sensitive safety) mathematical model

@29:00 Driving Policy Logic congruent with RSS

@36:15 Open-Source RSS becoming accepted as AV Safety Standard, particularly China. EU, UN, NCAP, NHTSA and other in negotiation.

@38:19 Crowd-sourced REM (Road Experience Management, i.e. landmark map overlay) with OEMs [VW, BMW, Nissan] feeding data from EyeQ4 cameras into common DB, to create <10cm resolution localisation (RoadBook) avail to all their users for L2+ REM (near real-time sensor suite redundancy via cloud)

@41:20 Japanese 25k km highway system mapped by REM in 24 hours, for Nissan L3 in very near future

@44:13 3rd party Eyesight Technologies using EyeQ4 camera for DAM (driver attention monitoring) with L2+ REM systems

@52:20 L4 Driverless MaaS joint venture with VW, dev from 2019 in Tel Aviv for commercial start in Israel 2022
Similar system planned for Beijing Bus in 2022

@57:22 Vision Zero 2018 paper, safe AD with undiminished throughput:
https://www.mobileye.com/responsibility-sensitive-safety/vision_zero_with_map.pdf
uses autonomous preventative braking APB v AEB, based on RSS

Prof. Shashua must yet again be commended for his very serious work, which inspires massive confidence ME knows where they are going and how to get there, including by setting verifiable safety standards for regulators along the way, such that many major OEMs are piling aboard.

Tesla unfortunately produces nothing even remotely comparable.

One would hope they are at least following along with similarly rigorous design principles, but I have a great many doubts about that.

Impressive! Talking about demos, for me it is as impressive as the Tesla 2016 demo. Great for Mobileye to make a demo as good as the Tesla one (or even better):

It will be nice when we see this on a real production car that anyone can buy so that we can compare it with current alternatives. Until then, unfortunately it is just a demo that can only be compared with demos.

Go ahead and break it down for us if you would?

Easy. Your AP1 or AP2 car can do 95% of whats in the Tesla demo video today. The only thing that it can't do is stop at stop signs/lights, make left turns and make right turns. Two of those three things is quite trivia.

However when you compare to the Mobileye video, or even Cruise or Zoox video. Its a completely different ball game because you are negotiating in dense unpredictable traffic versus simply lane keeping.

The Tesla video is of a mostly empty road with no one in it and stopping and making turns at stop signs. Compared to...

Zoox on Twitter

Easy. Your AP1 or AP2 car can do 95% of whats in the Tesla demo video today. The only thing that it can't do is stop at stop signs/lights, make left turns and make right turns. Two of those three things is quite trivia.

However when you compare to the Mobileye video, or even Cruise or Zoox video. Its a completely different ball game because you are negotiating in dense unpredictable traffic versus simply lane keeping.

The Tesla video is of a mostly empty road with no one in it and stopping and making turns at stop signs. Compared to...

Zoox on Twitter
Meanwhile, in the real world, I just drove my Tesla from New Orleans to Baton Rouge only using the turn signal for control.

Which other cars currently allow this?

Meanwhile, in the real world, I just drove my Tesla from New Orleans to Baton Rouge only using the turn signal for control.

How did you do this, did you just blow off all the stop signs and green lights ? How did you handle actual right and left turns ?

Agree there was something wrong with that video, was it sped up ?

How did you do this, did you just blow off all the stop signs and green lights ? How did you handle actual right and left turns ?

Agree there was something wrong with that video, was it sped up ?
Really? I assumed everyone on these forums understood Tesla does not currently do door to door Autopilot.

I assumed (mistakenly obviously), that the caveat “once I was on the interstate and until I exited” was unnecessary.

Apologies that I didn’t realize people were reading this forum had so little background in the topic.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Really? I assumed everyone on these forums understood Tesla does not currently do door to door Autopilot.

I assumed (mistakenly obviously), that the caveat “once I was on the interstate and until I exited” was unnecessary.

Apologies that I didn’t realize people were reading this forum had so little background in the topic.

I am new around here. Have not drunk the Tesla kool-aid yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Eclectic

Its called GM Supercruise, its completely hands free and they are also coming out with a next-gen version (supercruise 2.0) with EyeQ4 later this year on the 2020 Cadillac Escalade

So you’re claiming the current Cadillac can pull off this same feat, including merging itself into new lanes to change interstates?

I'm saying it can pull off a better feat by offering hands free driving. When Supecruise was released in 2017 its destroyed AP1 in every review and still today rein supreme.

Tesla is a startup company with 3 car models, they use the agile methodology which means their AP software for example will always have the latest of what they have in-house. Other automakers? Not so much. For a serious automaker like GM who is serious about ADAS because all of them ain't and let Tier 1s release trash for them and are doing things in-house. Their software will lag their in-house development by 1-2 years after each update until they move to agile.

I don't know whats coming in supercruise 2.0, but i know GM doesn't pull any punches when it comes to autonomous driving. I also know they are using EyeQ4 and they might be one of the few who actually put it to good use.

There are speculations that Nissan will reveal their "multi-lane" tech in March which uses eyeQ4 aswell.

I'm saying it can pull off a better feat by offering hands free driving. When Supecruise was released in 2017 its destroyed AP1 in every review and still today rein supreme.

Tesla is a startup company with 3 car models, they use the agile methodology which means their AP software for example will always have the latest of what they have in-house. Other automakers? Not so much. For a serious automaker like GM who is serious about ADAS because all of them ain't and let Tier 1s release trash for them and are doing things in-house. Their software will lag their in-house development by 1-2 years after each update until they move to agile.

I don't know whats coming in supercruise 2.0, but i know GM doesn't pull any punches when it comes to autonomous driving. I also know they are using EyeQ4 and they might be one of the few who actually put it to good use.

There are speculations that Nissan will reveal their "multi-lane" tech in March which uses eyeQ4 aswell.
To sum up. It doesn’t offer Tesla’s current capability (and neither does any other vehicle for sale).

To sum up. It doesn’t offer Tesla’s current capability (and neither does any other vehicle for sale).

What is tesla's capability? auto change lanes using turn signals? alot of cars already do that.

To sum up. Tesla AP doesn’t offer Supercruise’s current hands free high speed capability (and neither does any other vehicle for sale).

Mobileye has been THE leader in application of this technology for a decade. It is not surprising they remain in front. I’ve always thought it was hubris for Tesla to split and do their own. Nonetheless, it doesn’t really matter. The other headline this week is that the regulatory barriers are appearing. And that obviates any theoretical advantage for anyone. This technology won’t be allowed to goto scale much beyond lane keeping for years IMO, at which point Tesla and others may catch mobileye.

• Disagree
Reactions: Superendo