Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobileye - Most Impressive Self Driving Demo Yet (CES 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new around here. Have not drunk the Tesla kool-aid yet.

If you’re new, then I legitimately apologize.

The reference to kool-aid indicates you have a darker motive for inhabiting these forums. What is that motive?

What is tesla's capability? auto change lanes using turn signals? alot of cars already do that.

To sum up. Tesla AP doesn’t offer Supercruise’s current hands free high speed capability (and neither does any other vehicle for sale).

I was not aware any other vehicles could suggest lane changes and execute after approval by turn signal.

Which vehicles are capable of that?

I was not aware any other vehicles could suggest lane changes and execute after approval by turn signal.

Which vehicles are capable of that?

Suggesting a lane change is literally useless. If that's the feature you are propping up Tesla with then its laughable.
Other cars execute after approval by turn signal.

Supercruise on the other hand is completely hands free. Tesla nags you every 15 or so seconds.

If you’re new, then I legitimately apologize.

The reference to kool-aid indicates you have a darker motive for inhabiting these forums. What is that motive?

It's hard for me to understand the widely reported love for Tesla's Autopilot and FSD features yet to come.

I have a new 2018 MS 100D and absolutely love it, my favorite car to drive.

Tesla's Autopilot, however, has underwhelmed me. In the moderate/high traffic conditions I encounter, it's not much better than my current Mercedes, or even my son's 2018 Honda or wife's 2019 Acura. Mercedes lane assistants can drive the car on the highway and I can use the turn signals to change lanes. The navigation suggests when to exit. I have to handle exits myself, but NOA handling exits for me is pretty dicey, except in low traffic conditions. Now add misreading lanes, the nags, the speed limit in local roads and the barrier lust my Tesla exhibits, and its not much more useful than other cars we have.

I am trying to understand if other Tesla owners know how to use AP in ways I am not aware and are appreciating capabilities I am not. However, seems to be not much objectivity from Tesla owners about its weaknesses. I have also had BMW 750 and an Audi A8 in the last couple years and their systems were not really behind what I am experiencing with my new Tesla.

Suggesting a lane change is literally useless. If that's the feature you are propping up Tesla with then its laughable.

Supercruise on the other hand is completely hands free. Tesla nags you every 15 or so seconds.
Don’t duck the question! YOU SAID “a lot of cars already do that” regarding auto lane changes. Which ones?

What is tesla's capability? auto change lanes using turn signals? a lot of cars already do that.

To sum up. Tesla AP doesn’t offer Super cruises current hands free high speed capability (and neither does any other vehicle for sale).

A lot? Several or a couple could mean 2 other models. What brands and models are you including in that “a lot”? (Alot is not a word)

Suggesting a lane change is a precursor to the coming functionality of the car performing the lane changes.

Do you really want to hang your hat on the superiority of someone else’s system being their driver monitoring system?

And as another commented, you sure keep ducking the real issue. No other system has Tesla’s capabilities other than in demos and videos and future product announcements.

Do you really want to hang your hat on the superiority of someone else’s system being their driver monitoring system?
Nope i hang my hat on the fact that you will always marginalize the features of other cars and magnify the features of AP. The undeniable fact is, if AP allowed you to be able to not touch the wheel for an hour for example. We wouldn't hear the end of it. It will be preached from the roof top by you that other cars are useless with their 15 seconds nag timers. But since its the other way around now its "haha a driver monitoring camera?"

Do you really want to hang your hat on the superiority of someone else’s system being their 8 camera system?

Don’t duck the question! YOU SAID “a lot of cars already do that” regarding auto lane changes. Which ones?

Both Mercedes and BMW can change lanes and both of them have dozens of models unlike Tesla.

2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coming With Automatic Lane Changing
And as another commented, you sure keep ducking the real issue. No other system has Tesla’s capabilities other than in demos and videos and future product announcements.
I haven't ducked anything. The capabilities in demos, videos and future product announcements vastly exceeds what Tesla currently has, so idk why you are trying to compare them.

Mercedes does change lanes when you use the turn signal. You have to activate the signal yourself, but it does handle the lane change by itself.

Seems like Tesla's primary advantage at this time, is NOA's ability to exit the highway ?

Wish my MS was smoother at lane changes, its not really usable in traffic unless you don't mind annoying other drivers.

Nope i hang my hat on the fact that you will always marginalize the features of other cars and magnify the features of AP. The undeniable fact is, if AP allowed you to be able to not touch the wheel for an hour for example. We wouldn't hear the end of it. It will be preached from the roof top by you that other cars are useless with their 15 seconds nag timers. But since its the other way around now its "haha a driver monitoring camera?"

Do you really want to hang your hat on the superiority of someone else’s system being their 8 camera system?

Both Mercedes and BMW can change lanes and both of them have dozens of models unlike Tesla.

2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coming With Automatic Lane Changing

I haven't ducked anything. The capabilities in demos, videos and future product announcements vastly exceeds what Tesla currently has, so idk why you are trying to compare them.
Too bad no one can drive demos, videos... That is where Mobileye reigns supreme:)

Come again? Note this is a two year old system which will finally be updated at the end of this year. Yet its the only true L2 system and reigns supreme.

Great! I need that. Can I buy this car today and drop my Model X which makes 95% of my daily commute on Autopilot? Please, note that my daily commute includes secondary roads near Madrid, Spain (Europe).

Or this "reign supreme" is limited to a few specific roads in a specific country?

Come again? Note this is a two year old system which will finally be updated at the end of this year. Yet its the only true L2 system and reigns supreme.

Great! I need that. Can I buy this car today and drop my Model X which makes 95% of my daily commute on Autopilot? Please, note that my daily commute includes secondary roads near Madrid, Spain (Europe).

Or this "reign supreme" is limited to a few specific roads in a specific country?

It’s even worse than that. It only reigns supreme in a single lane. And by reigns supreme, they mean that their nanny is less intrusive:)

You mentioned the 2020 Escalade in a previous post, but that's going to be a $100K car.
Do you know of any cheaper cars coming out this year that will have the EyeQ4?
Does Honda have any plans to use the EyeQ4? If so, which models/years?
Remember its not just putting EyeQ4 in a car. I can stick an EyeQ4 in a car right now and it will still be the same car before and after. Having perception software capable to power a level 3 & 4 car doesn't matter if you don't write control algorithm for it. Alot of automakers until recently didn't have a desire to actually do that.

Some automakers use the EyeQ for just FCW, AEB, LDW, SCA or some random feature. Others take a more hands-on, and deep dive and develop systems like SuperCruise, AP1, Pilot Assist 3, etc.

The cars that i know currently having EyeQ4 with tri-focal camera are
2019 BMW X5 and also the BMW 3 Series and BMW X7.

I haven't tested them but its supposed to provide full-speed highway lane keeping & ACC (with steering nag timer) and turn signal based lane change plus unlimited hands free under 37 MPH.

There are rumors that the nag will be removed by the end of the year through OTA. But there are just rumors. BMW hasn't even updated the cars produced BEFORE december with hands-free traffic jam. Only the cars AFTER december has it.

There is talk of a BIG update coming in march. I'm keeping an eye on that.

GM Supercruise 2.0 ofcourse will make its way on the 2020 Escalade and will likely be a Level 2+ car. They will also use EyeQ4 and a trifocal camera. This is a complete internal in-house effort, which i'm really excited for because they are not relying on Tier-1s who try to do the bare minimum.

NIO ES6 and NIO ES8 both use an EyeQ4 and a trifocal camera. It comes with NIO PILOT which is supposed to be a completely hands free full speed lane keeping/acc and also eyes free (L3) traffic jam.

I don't know if the OTA for both of these are out yet, its only avail in china. so its hard to get videos or reviews of it.

Their NIO EVE car however will be a US car and will come with EyeQ5 with the 8 camera setup and probably several solid state lidars. It will be released in Fall 2020 and is supposed to support Level 4 Highway and Urban.

the 2020 Jeep Cherokee might show up in fall 2019. I can't confirm anything other than that FCA will start releasing Level 2+ cars that are a semi in-house effort in collaboration with Aptiv.

Level 2+ will ofcourse include lane change without driver's input. It will be interesting to compare the performances of these coming cars compared to AP2's NAP.

I also forgot to mention Nissan, which is rumored to announce something in March.

n7gd8ql3ucbyaeoqlqaq.png

Last edited: