Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mod ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure how much TM folks are modding their cars but coming from a M3 and previously the JDM scene, its hard to get that modding bug out of me. Granted, I purposely chose the Tesla so I don't have to spend so much on silly stuff like exhausts or engine mods (THANK GOD). I think the 85kwh is more than enough for me. So I'm left with the external mods for aesthetics. I currently have a Grey Model S.

I know a few people are either changing their rims or powdercoat/painting their 21 or 19" rims. For an LA driver, I chose to stick with the 19" rims and powdercoat them (this upcoming weekend). So my mods will be:

1) Going to powdercoat them 19" rims Satin Black and black out the caps but make the cap Tesla logo red.
2) I plan to powdercoat the calipers and make them red but still leave the Tesla letting on so hopefully it will look stock.
3) I'm painting the chrome piece around my windows gloss black so match the side pillars.

I need the forum members opinion on changing the door handle color? Would you leave them chrome, change them black, or something else? What about the chrome side marker piece on the fender?

Can you tell that I'm not a fan of chrome? =) What other ideas have other people tried that they want to share? I'm curious how creative and tasteful our Tesla Community is.

I'm with you on the exterior mods....until someone develops an aftermarket drive inverter that puts out more HP! lol

Don't have my car yet, but here are my planned mods when I get her.

Aftermarket 20" wheels
Dark window tint
Xpel clear bra
Aftermarket sound system - Haven't really heard the system yet, so jury is still out on this one.
Radar detector - Have to find one that plays nice with car
Handle wraps

I'm with you on the exterior mods....until someone develops an aftermarket drive inverter that puts out more HP! lol

Don't have my car yet, but here are my planned mods when I get her.

Aftermarket 20" wheels
Dark window tint
Xpel clear bra
Aftermarket sound system - Haven't really heard the system yet, so jury is still out on this one.
Radar detector - Have to find one that plays nice with car
Handle wraps

I was a big modder before I ordered this car as well, coming from the Porsche world, I always had Techart aero / HRE wheels / Valentine One, etc, but something tells me I won't be modding this car as much. I don't mind the chrome on the outside of the car, I'm sure the door handles will burn my hand in this Vegas heat, but other than window tint, alloy gators, and maybe some frunk/trunk LED changes, I don't see myself doing much to this one. Maybe things will change in time.

Last edited:
I was a big modder before I ordered this car as well, coming from the Porsche world, I always had Techart aero / HRE wheels / Valentine One, etc, but something tells me I won't be modding this car as much. I don't mind the chrome on the outside of the car, I'm sure the door handles will burn my hand in this Vegas heat, but other than window tint, alloy gators, and maybe some frunk/trunk LED changes, I don't see myself doing much to this one. Maybe things will change in time.

I understand. The car has a very unique look to start with, so there is not a lot really needed. I'm starting to have the feeling Tesla will be providing most my mods. Center console, parking sensors, etc.