Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Affordability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because you’re setting yourself up with a high debt:income ratio. Want to move out of your parents house before you pay off the car? What if you lose your job? Going to school? Unforeseen medical issues? The list goes on...

As someone who made fairly poor financial decisions when I was younger, my advice is to save your money. We like to keep over a years salary on hand at all times in liquidity on top of investments and savings. There’s no room to buy toys for us as long as we’re close to that watermark.

Because you’re setting yourself up with a high debt:income ratio. Want to move out of your parents house before you pay off the car? What if you lose your job? Going to school? Unforeseen medical issues? The list goes on...

As someone who made fairly poor financial decisions when I was younger, my advice is to save your money. We like to keep over a years salary on hand at all times in liquidity on top of investments and savings. There’s no room to buy toys for us as long as we’re close to that watermark.
Using that rule, I’d have to live with my parents with a POS car and live frugally for 5 years. It’s also not a toy. It’s the safest car out there and that’s a huge priority.

Using that rule, I’d have to live with my parents with a POS car and live frugally for 5 years. It’s also not a toy. It’s the safest car out there and that’s a huge priority.

Yes, and you’ll thank yourself later when you care more about financial stability than how cool your car is.

If you’ve never lived on your own, you probably haven’t had to deal with financial stress. It’s not fun and extremely hard to get out of.

$200 a month is a LOT for insurance. A used car with just liability ins might be one-half or one-third that. Every person I know who ever got into debt trouble did it by looking at monthly payments and telling themselves it's not "that much more" instead of the overall obligation. Besides I think you could get a serviceable car with ins for under $300 a month. It looks like your M3 is going to be north of $600 a month with insurance.

@bdice18, If you want a M3, you don't need our permission. You wanted opinions and you got them. A lot of us think it's not a good plan.

Now make up your own mind and move forward.

Reactions: ducktales
$200 a month is a LOT for insurance. A used car with just liability ins might be one-half or one-third that. Every person I know who ever got into debt trouble did it by looking at monthly payments and telling themselves it's not "that much more" instead of the overall obligation. Besides I think you could get a serviceable car with ins for under $300 a month. It looks like your M3 is going to be north of $600 a month with insurance.

@bdice18, If you want a M3, you don't need our permission. You wanted opinions and you got them. A lot of us think it's not a good plan.

Now make up your own mind and move forward.
I live in Michigan where insurance is the highest, so $200 is cheaper than it could be for this state. Must be nice to pay like $50 for insurance

My, we certainly have a lot of strong opinions on this post. :)

But without knowing all of the details on his age, job, income history, debt, savings, living arrangements and personal lifestyle choices, it’s really not possible to know enough to give meaningful advice on what he should do.

OP, you have received a lot of feedback from the forum members but it is your decision to make and I wish you the best whatever you decide. Please keep us informed as you think it through and let us know what you decide. Best of luck whatever you do.

When you add much higher insurance rates and the cost of electricity if you live in NE the affordability proposition goes out of the window.

It remains the fact that arguably the Tesla is a semi-luxury vehicle and that's what you pay more for.

NE isn't the only place.

It cost about the same as high mpg hybrid (~50 mpg) to operate in NE per mile (for fuel).
But as gas prices are going up lately that ratio is getting better and better. Thanks to who should not be named.