Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 already in body shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I've had my model 3 for about a month and had a raccoon run out on the road and was hit by my car. Just had minor damage to front bumper (some cracks in paint and a small dent). The body shop took the front bumper off to repair and there was also a support piece that is broken and has to be replaced. Has Tesla improved the time to get replacement parts? I've heard horror stories of months long wait for parts.

Sounds like some big, fat raccoon there to do that amount of damage (underneath). Did you take a photo of the damage? Can’t speak for where you live on repair time however. Hope it’s quick. I know Elon said something about trying to improve on simpler repairs like bumpers and read here about some that got done pretty fast.

It was a very large raccoon and it ran out on the highway when I was doing 55mph. Where it hit hard I was actually expecting the damage to be worse than it was. I unfortunately didn't take any pictures before taking it to the shop. I did have one Tesla approved body shop nearby that I took it too. I'm kind of rural and was worried I wouldn't have one close by. I hope the stories of faster repairs is true.

This is a good opportunity for PPF on that bumper - unless you already had it.
Yeah, I think I'll be doing that when I get it back. I don't think it would've helped much in this situation. But I've found out around here that driving at night the the front of the model 3 gets completely covered in bugs and they salt the road in the winter. So it needs the extra protection.

Reactions: XLR82XS
Sounds like some big, fat raccoon there to do that amount of damage (underneath). Did you take a photo of the damage? Can’t speak for where you live on repair time however. Hope it’s quick. I know Elon said something about trying to improve on simpler repairs like bumpers and read here about some that got done pretty fast.

I hit a Raccoon once and it did pretty massive damage to my car. Huge dent in the bumper, took out a fog light, and broke a few clips/supports. They get pretty big. I'm betting the one I hit was bigger then a small dog. Like 15-20lbs easy.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I hit a Raccoon once and it did pretty massive damage to my car. Huge dent in the bumper, took out a fog light, and broke a few clips/supports. They get pretty big. I'm betting the one I hit was bigger then a small dog. Like 15-20lbs easy.
I bet the one I hit was that size too. I was surprised how big it was. I got lucky that it didn't hit at the fog light on this one or the damage would've been a lot worse.

The body shop just uploaded the estimate and work needed online and it listed which part they need. It's part number 1084894-00-B and when I look it up on the parts catalog it's a: ASY, ANKLE CATCHER, M3. I'll get in contact with the body shop Monday to see if they found out if the part is in stock.

I'm 3 months into a wait on parts for a minor crack on the rear bumper.
I hope it's not a 3 month wait for it because the bumper is already removed to paint it and they can't reassemble without it.

Yeah, I think I'll be doing that when I get it back. I don't think it would've helped much in this situation. But I've found out around here that driving at night the the front of the model 3 gets completely covered in bugs and they salt the road in the winter. So it needs the extra protection.
Not going to help with accidents but definitely paint stains and paint chips!

I thought we saw an announcement recently that the Tesla service centers are now doing minor repairs like bumper replacements. If so I think that would probably be quicker than a body shop.
I would have tried them first if I lived closer to one. It's about 4 hours away. But the body shop I took it to seems to be on top of things. They had the the car disassembled to repair in less than 24 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I found out the part they have to replace will be there on Thursday. Impressed with how fast Tesla got the part sent. Body shop ordered on Friday evening, part shipped on Monday. If the part comes in as scheduled should have my car back by the end of the week

Keep on the body shop. There is also a Tesla body shop support number if you don’t think the body shop is actually ordering parts.

Tesla does have parts availablity issues, but I feel many body shops have their own issues and use that for an excuse.