Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 2021 Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was hit, on the left front side, by a woman who came at me in an intersection. She was marked at fault; the bags didn't deploy but I had the sense to hit the record button and it clearly shows the accident.

The damage doesn't look bad but the repair shop came in with a bill of $21,000+ Canadian .... front bumper, tire, door ...

I was hoping for a write-off but no luck.

Given that they are going to proceed with a repair, any tips on what I should watch for / be wary of / have an eagle eye for?

IMG_5047.jpeg

IMG_5031.jpeg

I'd make sure it drives straight! There should be an alignment in your estimate, make sure they give you the alignment specs after.
Make sure all pieces of that left front suspension are being replaced, and pay close attention to the camber spec of that LF wheel after it's been repaired. If it's just "close" but not within spec, that car will eat the inside edge of your LF tire.

I've driven some cars in decades past and they went through tires so quickly that I only bought used tires. (The camber was permanently out of spec due to the whole front structure bending after rust had weakened it - 20 year old beater. Junked it before it totally collapsed.)

My car was hit, on the left front side, by a woman who came at me in an intersection. She was marked at fault; the bags didn't deploy but I had the sense to hit the record button and it clearly shows the accident.

The damage doesn't look bad but the repair shop came in with a bill of $21,000+ Canadian .... front bumper, tire, door ...

I was hoping for a write-off but no luck.

Given that they are going to proceed with a repair, any tips on what I should watch for / be wary of / have an eagle eye for?

View attachment 1021688

View attachment 1021689
18 months ago, my M3 took a hit just like this. The only issue that I had to negotiate with the insurance company was to have them replace the right side tire, as the left side tire was destroyed. I had to use a little of the Force to get them to understand that I didn't want mismatched tires from a treadwear perspective. They finally got it. Other than that, my shop did a stellar job. I'm a picky SOB about my car and have found only one place that points to an "owie". YMMV.

Last edited:
I didn’t know Tesla had an invisible mode, you must have engaged it, because how the heck did the other driver not see you?

Interestingly, I've had quite a few incidents where cars seem to not see my Model 3. I chalked it up to some sixth sense that people must have for a humming ICE engine which is not there for an EV. The other drivers always seem surprised by my car as if it came out of nowhere.

First of all, do you have a Tesla certified repair shop that you can take it to? The shop that repaired my car returned it to me as good as new. In fact, I may say better than new. The charge port door was perfectly flush and the trunk lid has a more satisfying sound when closing. That also painted the LR door. It had a scratch that I put in it and did a poor job of touch up.

If you like, read my whole story here. And to the end when I tell of my DV claim!

Reactions: DocHolliday
The crash.... just got the front angle camera footage from Tesla.

Wonder why Hertz has bailed from Tesla? This incident comes in at $21,000 Canadian (so far!)

yeah. repair costs are very high and wait times are very long. not great for a rental place. also the erratic overnight price cuts by (10%)+ didn't help .... Hertz likes to project the residual value of their fleet as accurately as possible