Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD 18” vs 19” wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m circling ever closer to my Model 3 order- but the question that keeps vexing me is to go for the 18” vs 19” wheels.

My regular commute is only 15mi round trip and we get free Level 2 charging at work. So my needs are definitely lite there.

We go to Tahoe from the Bay Area regularly, but if A Better Route Planner is to be believed it’s a one stop trip for just about any Model 3, and we’re likely to be taking our Tiguan there most often until a proper replacement comes along, which is sadly not going to be the Model Y.

But I am hoping to use this car for some longer inter-California and West Coast adjacent trips (Vegas, LA, Oregon...) and one planned Bay Area to Southern Ontario trip next summer if all goes well.

There’s no question I like the look of the 19” rims better on the blue configuration I’m looking at. My question is what kind of range hit do you take vs the aeros on longer trips? I haven’t found any specific range tests (amazingly), but some posts on various boards have said about 10% less with highway driving.

Any thoughts from people who’ve had to make a similar decision would be welcome.

I’m circling ever closer to my Model 3 order- but the question that keeps vexing me is to go for the 18” vs 19” wheels.

My regular commute is only 15mi round trip and we get free Level 2 charging at work. So my needs are definitely lite there.

We go to Tahoe from the Bay Area regularly, but if A Better Route Planner is to be believed it’s a one stop trip for just about any Model 3, and we’re likely to be taking our Tiguan there most often until a proper replacement comes along, which is sadly not going to be the Model Y.

But I am hoping to use this car for some longer inter-California and West Coast adjacent trips (Vegas, LA, Oregon...) and one planned Bay Area to Southern Ontario trip next summer if all goes well.

There’s no question I like the look of the 19” rims better on the blue configuration I’m looking at. My question is what kind of range hit do you take vs the aeros on longer trips? I haven’t found any specific range tests (amazingly), but some posts on various boards have said about 10% less with highway driving.

Any thoughts from people who’ve had to make a similar decision would be welcome.
Hi... I went thru this debate myself in August when I placed my order. Assuming you know this, but the 18s have an aero wheel cover that can be removed. The wheels looks great without the cover on. From an efficiency perspective, you lose about 4 to 5 percent range with the covers off. If you move to the 19s, you lose about 10 to 15 percent range total. For me, I was more concerned with range rather than aesthetics. For others, looks might be more important. That said, I went with the 18s. But I still don't have a car yet.. Still waiting! On week 5 now...

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
@bdelrizzo

Thanks. Definitely aware of the step down in Range from the 18” Aero covers —> 18” no covers —> 19”. My office parking lot is a virtual Tesla dealership of other Model 3s, so I get to walk by them every day and ruminate on the options. If I went with the 18”s I would definitely take the aeros off for my daily drive and get the cap kit, and only put the aeros on for longer trips.

With 90-95% of my driving in a year being this short commute or local Bay Area driving where no charging is needed at all, I guess I just keep wondering if I’m overweighting my very occasional longer trips, and over-concerning myself with the range issue. I suppose in the worst case I could alway buy Teslas (or the new 3rd party) 18” wheels later.

Just to illustrate the difference for a semi-long trip. San Jose to San Diego is 461 miles.

Better route planner is saying:

34min charging total for 18” Aero.
40min charging total for 19” Sport.

Is 6 minutes of charging (with current V2 Superchargers) worth it?

Even my 2600mi CA to Ontario trip is

5h50min charging with 18” Aeros
6h18min charging with 19” Sports

Man I’m in the weeds on this...

Reactions: Jazz3D
Seems you are looking too much into it

Which rim do you really think you'll be most happy with?

Slightly more range and lesser looks? Or better looks and barely noticeable range difference?

I think the 19's look the best so I would just get those

You'll really never notice the range difference and I would simply forget about it because its not much and always varies 100% based on driving habits, weather, etc

Someone with 18's could drive less efficient and get less range vs. You with 19's driving more efficient and getting more range...

Last edited:
The 19’s cost more and look nicer. That’s really the main consideration, although the slightly reduced range is also a factor. I got a free upgrade to 19’s from Tesla when I bought my Model 3 but I decided to sell them because even though they looked nicer I just wanted to be as efficient as possible.

The 18’s are supposed to provide a softer and more comfortable ride while the 19’s provide a bit more road grip, but that has more to do with the specific tires Tesla has selected rather than the size of the wheel.

Thank you all for speaking up about this!

I just changed my order from 19 inch wheels to 18 inch aeros. I do believe those look good, even with aero caps - especially on Midnight Silver Metallic. There is a YouTube video test where the guy confirms that 18 inch wheels make for a quieter ride:

Is it cheaper to replace tires on higher profile wheels?

At the end of the day all that matters to me is how the car feels from inside. 19 inch wheels are probably a bit better at handling, but I don't think it would be by very much (or even noticeable). Grip-wise: I could always install grippier tires on my 18 inch wheels if I find grip not sufficient - LOL.

Not planning to take my Model 3 to the track either...

I like the 18" wheels w/o the aero that I have on my P3D-. They are sporty and look good with the gray and black vehicles.
If I were to upgrade, I would rather have a 19" or 20" wheel that is non-OEM. I think the OEMs are generally good looking, but I prefer having something unique.

I didn't have a wheel choice with my P3D- as it came with 18s. If I did it again, I'd choose 18s... save the money ($1500) and spend it on better aftermarket wheels later if you're into it. If not, you've got a versatile set of 18s w/ or w/o the aeros.

Stop looking at the freaken "Wheels" when it comes to efficiency and look at the tires.
I tried to brain wash myself that Aero's look good. They make the car look like a little tank vs a sports sedan.
Wait until you see your little ugly tank next to the Sports Sedans at the Super Charger.

The OEM 19" TIRES are less efficient than the OEM 18" TIRES.
The OEM 20" TIRES are less efficient than the OEM 19" TIRES.

I think you have the best selection of tires in the 19" range because they don't need as high a load range as 18" does and they are not super low profile like the 20". They are the sweet spot on looks, tire choices and vulnerability to bending.

Switching from 18" to 19" was the best thing I did to the car. And cost me nothing in efficiency. Because I did not chose the crappy Continental 19" OEM tire.

Reactions: Jazz3D
The 18" wheels are quieter than the 19". Search YouTube and you will find a video that measures the decibel level with the 18s and with the 19s. Also the 18s will give you a slightly more comfortable ride because of the bigger tire sidewall. (BTW my M3 came with Michelins as the 18" OEM tire).

Just to illustrate the difference for a semi-long trip. San Jose to San Diego is 461 miles.

Better route planner is saying:

34min charging total for 18” Aero.
40min charging total for 19” Sport.

Is 6 minutes of charging (with current V2 Superchargers) worth it?

Even my 2600mi CA to Ontario trip is

5h50min charging with 18” Aeros
6h18min charging with 19” Sports

Man I’m in the weeds on this...

Assuming this is true, it still doesn't represent 95% of your annual driving. So yes, you are way deep in the weeds :) I should also let you in on a little secret - each charger has it's own temperament so you should take those times with a grain of salt. You might also be stuck sharing the load which adds even more time.

On a personal note, I didn't necessarily pay extra for the Performance Package w/ 20" wheels, rather I paid out more to not have to have the 18" Aeros. I have a picture of the Aeros in my wallet that I use to scare the kids whey they get out of line. Works better than disabling their wifi.

Get the 19's and focus that energy elsewhere.

• Funny
Reactions: TechOps
Assuming this is true, it still doesn't represent 95% of your annual driving. So yes, you are way deep in the weeds :) I should also let you in on a little secret - each charger has it's own temperament so you should take those times with a grain of salt. You might also be stuck sharing the load which adds even more time.

On a personal note, I didn't necessarily pay extra for the Performance Package w/ 20" wheels, rather I paid out more to not have to have the 18" Aeros. I have a picture of the Aeros in my wallet that I use to scare the kids whey they get out of line. Works better than disabling their wifi.

Get the 19's and focus that energy elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for your input. I’m still not sure which way I’ll go- everyday looks vs occasional efficiency. Right now I’m driving an Audi A3 e-tron with the Sport tires, so those are as or even skinnier than the 19” Teslas, I think. Either way I’m sure I’ll be happy with the car.

I'm dealing with the same thing. I definitely prefer the look of the 19", but my main question/concern is whether or not they're a bad idea for someone living in a region where you get winter weather. I've seen that a lot of people have bent rims hitting potholes with the 19" and 20" wheels. I'd like to hear from people with 19's and 20's who live in areas that have winter weather. Any issues? Would you suggest 18's based on your experience?

I'm dealing with the same thing. I definitely prefer the look of the 19", but my main question/concern is whether or not they're a bad idea for someone living in a region where you get winter weather. I've seen that a lot of people have bent rims hitting potholes with the 19" and 20" wheels. I'd like to hear from people with 19's and 20's who live in areas that have winter weather. Any issues? Would you suggest 18's based on your experience?

That's a real issue, depending on where you live.
I'm very happy with the 18", and since we do a lot of long distance driving, we keep the aeros on all the time.

I've been researching this issue for a while because I live in an area that gets snow and pot holes galore. I risked it; got the 19s because I seriously disliked the 18s (with or without the aero covers) and did not want to buy aftermarket wheels on top of already expensive car price.
The 19 inch sport wheel have 235/40R19 (94mm approx sidewall) The BMW M2 Competition and the optioned-up Audi S4 have 245/35 R19s (86mm approx sidewall). I figure those other manufactures did 19s, it would/may be OK.
But, I will be sure to post back here after this upcoming winter.

I've been researching this issue for a while because I live in an area that gets snow and pot holes galore. I risked it; got the 19s because I seriously disliked the 18s (with or without the aero covers) and did not want to buy aftermarket wheels on top of already expensive car price.
The 19 inch sport wheel have 235/40R19 (94mm approx sidewall) The BMW M2 Competition and the optioned-up Audi S4 have 245/35 R19s (86mm approx sidewall). I figure those other manufactures did 19s, it would/may be OK.
But, I will be sure to post back here after this upcoming winter.

Yeah, I've been considering getting the 18's and then eventually getting wheels I like better at some point. I just know how I am, and that "some point" would probably be when it was time to get new tires. But by then the car would be a couple years old. So I'd spend all that time driving the car with a look that's just "okay". And I don't want just okay after spending well over $40K! But, I also don't want to be replacing bent rims. Thus the dilemma!

Reactions: Torque Monster
I've owned both. I think the 19s drive and look better. I haven't felt like the ride is more uncomfortable.

Range hasn't been much worse for me, a lot if trips are still about the same amount of miles. If I had a far commute I could easily see myself feeling differently about it.

I purposely skipped the 19s on my first Model 3 because I didn't want to spend the money, and I still wouldn't fault anyone for skipping it for the same reason. I didn't mind the Aeros, I liked the better range (though I didn't have a reference point at the time), and I sincerely like the 18s with the Aero caps off. I got the 19s on my second Model 3 just to mix it up, but they've exceeded my expectations and I would pick them again over the 18s if I had to make the same decision.