Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD Long Range - Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have done 3,315 miles in my LR AWD and my battery for 90% shows as 263 miles and 100% is 294 miles which is quite less.It used to be around 310 miles before and has gone down quite a lot recently.I charge to 90% everyday and only charged to 100% once and used Supercharger twice after i bought the car.

Almost loss of 5% of range for 3,000 miles,is this what everyone seeing or is this battery degradation? do i need to do the Battery calibration as i have read this is the Battery management system showing the range loss? I have never gone below 20 % of the battery.

Please see the attached Battery report from Teslafi and after checking the report the range loss is after the update from 2019.32.11.1 to 2019.36.2.3 is it same for everyone?

Attachments

• Teslafi.PNG
    Teslafi.PNG
    86.1 KB · Views: 159
I would, that looks very low to me - under 292 miles extrapolated to 100%.

It may be that your cold battery level is particularly low, which TeslaFi will tell you on main banner - the battery % number in blue. But it has warmed up, so wouldn't expect to see much difference. Ours went from 302 back up to 306 then back down to 302 in last few days - margin for error ~3%.

Isn't this all pretty much impossible to gauge properly?

In the i3 I've got the range varies considerably depending on the weather, and how I have been driving it recently. I've lost probably 50 miles in reported range based on the weather and occasionally more "pressing" journeys. My miles per kWh has been steadily going down over the winter.

The app currently tells me I have 138 miles of range at 100%. At this time last year it showed ~190. As it gets warmer and I drive it more (chance would be a fine thing) then I would expect the 138 figure to go up.

Even if your reported range is lower than it has been previously you might find that as you drive the car it doesn't go down as quickly as it did before. Unless you actually drive that distance on a proper 100% to ~0% run I wouldn't necessarily read too much in to the numbers.

The TeslaFi battery degradation report isn't really battery degradation but what the BMS thinks is the calibrated range of the battery at current SoC and TeslaFi extrapolating that to 100%. It can go up as well as down!

There are a few factors that can influence that, such as ensuring only completed charges are taken into consideration (several miles between 90.0% and 90.9% both of which will be reported as 90%). Also lots of other things affecting the assumptions that the BMS has to work with, such as not charging or discharging to battery limits (extrapolating already ) or battery not having a balance every now and then.

So its based on several assumptions based on several other assumptions and I wouldn't expect to get too hung up about it.

That said, you will get battery degradation over time, and if you have 1% in 800 miles, I would personally say that is well within reasonable expectations. You may probably find that it degrades more, but then settles. You have hundreds of batteries, all with their own view of what is full. The BMS just has to come up with one number, no easy or singly correct value.

Apparently running the car down below 20% and occasional rebalance at 100% (coinciding with a trip) will give the BMS a more accurate set of values to work with.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel