Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 awd range after software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aloha,

I am still only able to get a max charge of 310. I thought the software update was to increase to 320.
Is it just me, or is anyone else still at 310?

Thanks,
AnaBanana

What model year is yours? You picked up in September so it could have been a 2019. In which case your max range will remain at 310. Doesn’t really matter; even if a 2020 made a couple weeks later shows 322, it is entirely possible you have the same range. (Very hard to know - depends on if the hardware is different at all.). You very likely have the same available energy.

Mine was a November 2018 build and i get 320

2018? Pictures or it didn't happen!...question here is about rated range, not how far one can travel, of course.

Extrapolated values from the app with SoC below 80% don't count...

If you really do have this, be sure to snap a picture of your energy screen capturing rated range, recent efficiency, and projected range.

What model year is yours? You picked up in September so it could have been a 2019. In which case your max range will remain at 310. Doesn’t really matter; even if a 2020 made a couple weeks later shows 322, it is entirely possible you have the same range. (Very hard to know - depends on if the hardware is different at all.). You very likely have the same available energy.
Interesting. I have a 2019. I don't understand why some years would get the increase and not; I thought it would be model specific.

I don't agree. I think TESLA has been up front with capacity, including loss.

Not sure what you disagree with. Yes, for the most part, the rated miles in conjunction with the constant directly indicate the degradation. Tesla makes it fairly straightforward, except perhaps for the very initial part of the degradation curve.

Could you explain what you meant by, "the number by itself means nothing".

You need to know the number and the constant, for it to have meaning. Otherwise you don’t know the capacity.

I was just saying if they start reducing the constant on an older vehicle they could be accused of hiding capacity loss. That is not what they did for the LR RWD - they increased capacity from 72.5kWh to 76kWh. And for the 2020s they did reduce the constant, but it was to deliver on the EPA number, and it was very early in vehicle life.

In general they aren’t going to increase your rated miles by reducing the constant, even if your actual vehicle efficiency HAS improved due to software. Because it can come across as a sneaky way of hiding degradation (even though it does not hide anything, as long as owners take into account both the number and the constant - but that is a very small minority of owners).

Reactions: St☰v☰
First off since no one has said it none of the software updates to the car (in the past 6 months) have increased range or addressed range at all. Performance/Power has improved, range was unaltered.
If you read one did, you misread it (entirely understandable).

The 2020 car is listed as having a higher range but never seen if it actually has any more range than a 2018 or 2019 version. Most likely was just Telsa changing the stated number to match most recent EPA testing and nothing more.

The 2020 car is listed as having a higher range but never seen if it actually has any more range than a 2018 or 2019 version. Most likely was just Telsa changing the stated number to match most recent EPA testing and nothing more.

Since the EPA 2020 results are considerably better than the 2018/2019 results for the AWD and Performance, there's little doubt that efficiency has improved, and since battery capacity is unchanged, range has been increased. And the constant (which is lower than it was for 2018/2019 vehicles) has appropriately been reduced (by about 2%). The constant reduction is a bit smaller than the apparent commensurate improvement in efficiency, because the 2018/2019 constant value was probably set a little on the low side.

The only question is whether or not any of these efficiency improvements have been able to be applied to older 2018/2019 vehicles, or whether the software requires slightly different hardware to achieve the improvement. (Seems somewhat doubtful, but it's hard to say, and harder to measure.)

Since the EPA 2020 results are considerably better than the 2018/2019 results for the AWD and Performance, there's little doubt that efficiency has improved, and since battery capacity is unchanged, range has been increased. And the constant (which is lower than it was for 2018/2019 vehicles) has appropriately been reduced (by about 2%). The constant reduction is a bit smaller than the apparent commensurate improvement in efficiency, because the 2018/2019 constant value was probably set a little on the low side.

The only question is whether or not any of these efficiency improvements have been able to be applied to older 2018/2019 vehicles, or whether the software requires slightly different hardware to achieve the improvement. (Seems somewhat doubtful, but it's hard to say, and harder to measure.)

Seems that way but think is getting above and beyond the OP's state of mind ; thinking there was some sort of recent software update to improve range in 2018/2019 AWD cars which while at one point rumored never happened. Maybe it will in the future.

thinking there was some sort of recent software update to improve range in 2018/2019 AWD cars which while at one point rumored never happened. Maybe it will in the future.

I think at this point it likely has happened, to the extent it is possible with older hardware, since it has been rolled to the rest of the fleet. It is not something we will ever know unless someone conducts an EPA efficiency test on an older vehicle. The range would be short due to capacity loss, but the efficiency might well show improvement.

If it happened is not something I have noticed based on my efficiency numbers nor in my car's range calculations so I am skeptical anything changed.
Also feel it would be in Telsa's best interest to announce such a change, if it happened via an OTA update.
The performance/power boosts have come with those announcements, which in turn has given them good press.

I have noticed based on my efficiency numbers

Would be very hard to see a 2-3% change with so many other variables at play, unless you use a controlled course and documented conditions for your testing.

nor in my car's range calculations

You would likely not see it there. There's no reason you would since they'd leave the constant and the range exactly the same. There's no reason to show a range increase.

feel it would be in Telsa's best interest to announce such a change, if it happened via an OTA update

They sort of did announce it for the 2020 vehicles. If they said definitively there would be changes for the 2018/2019, everyone would be asking Tesla why their range number did not increase (even though it has nothing to do with it). Also vehicles of some age might be able to get it, and others not - which would make things tricky from a publicity perspective. They probably just didn't want to deal with it, if it were possible to improve efficiency through drive modifications. Just roll it out to the extent possible - it is in keeping with the mission.

I'm agnostic either way about whether or not this happened, since there's no easy way I can think of to prove/disprove it. I guess someone who did the data logging on a dyno, and additionally has correlated and controlled torque vs input power curves before and after the updates, could provide insight. Again, not holding my breath.